Cannondale CAAD13 / Campagnolo Super Record 11 rim brake build thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

c60rider

by c60rider

Following my awful foray into disc brakes with this build viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157590 my plan was to continue to run it through the winter and maybe do something about it during the summer but the experience of discs is so unpleasant I looked at the costs and decided to pull the trigger straight away and go for this. I wanted an aluminium frame as if I decide to race I'd prefer to crash on one of these than a carbon frame and not know if it's broken or not. Plus the cost is affordable to replace as well. I know the price of this is at the top end of aluminium frames and not far away from carbon frames but if you crash on a carbon frame you really can't tell if it's been damaged and I don't want to ride a bike hoping it's ok. For me there are a few negatives on this frame. In particular the press fit bottom bracket, direct mount brakes which means they're incompatible with any other brakes I have and the increasingly common proprietary D shaped seat post that seems to be getting almost standard on frames. The hidden seat bolt is also annoying what's wrong with a clamp? The final negative was that the rim brake frameset is currently only available in this stealth black which I'm not particularly a fan of but it's not too offensive either and as it's going to be mainly a wet weather bike it's going to be dirty on every ride. I can always get a repaint one day or just put some go faster stripes on.

So here's the frameset and it's a 51cm model

And here are some basic weights to begin. Naked frame with just the gear hanger and under bottom bracket cable guide:

Uncut fork weight:

The basic build list will be as follows:

CAAD13 rim brake frameset 51cm
Campagnolo Super Record 11 ergo levers, rear and front derailleurs
Camagnolo Shamal ultra wheels
Chorus 11 cassette 12-27 and chain
Deda Superzero stem and carbon bars
Power2Max type s power meter 52-36 rings
Campagnolo direct mount brakes
Time RXS carbon pedals
San Marco supercomfort saddle
SKS bluemels mudguards

I have weights and pictures of many of the parts and I'll update gradually as I'm waiting for a few bits and won't start the build fully until I have everything but the plan is to get it build by the end of the month. If anyone has any specific questions or wants detail then let me know and I'll add everything to here. To be continued....

robertbb

by robertbb

Looking forward to seeing this as I'm a big fan of Campy 11 on a good alloy frame.

Agree with your sentiments on D shaped posts and pressfit BB's.

Not to detract from what is a great frame, understand it's not intended to be a weenie, but 1168g for a 51cm is heavy for what is touted as being a highly worked and refined (i.e. light) tubeset. The fork is a bit porky too...

Also, which Campy DM brakes will you be using? The skeleton ones, the "Potenza level" solid-body ones (labeled "Campagnolo Direct") or the new generation 12 speed ones?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

Always nice to see a Aluminum/Campy bike.

If I may ask ....with the negatives you listed or did not like about this frame ...why did you go with it?
There are so many great Alum frames these days
Fuji
Ridley
Bowman
Standert

To name a few of my favorites :wink:

Looking forward to your build :thumbup:

c60rider

by c60rider

flying wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:26 pm
Always nice to see a Aluminum/Campy bike.

If I may ask ....with the negatives you listed or did not like about this frame ...why did you go with it?
There are so many great Alum frames these days
Fuji
Ridley
Bowman
Standert

To name a few of my favorites :wink:

Looking forward to your build :thumbup:
discreet mudguard mounts was the main selling point along with the relatively light weight compared with other aluminium bikes with mudguard mounts. They tend to be much more robust frames shall we say and typically half as heavy again

c60rider

by c60rider

robertbb wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 pm
Looking forward to seeing this as I'm a big fan of Campy 11 on a good alloy frame.

Agree with your sentiments on D shaped posts and pressfit BB's.

Not to detract from what is a great frame, understand it's not intended to be a weenie, but 1168g for a 51cm is heavy for what is touted as being a highly worked and refined (i.e. light) tubeset. The fork is a bit porky too...

Also, which Campy DM brakes will you be using? The skeleton ones, the "Potenza level" solid-body ones (labeled "Campagnolo Direct") or the new generation 12 speed ones?
New gen ones. I've got some pictures and weights of them and how they compare with the differential brakes I've got on 3 other bikes.

c60rider

by c60rider

So the brakes will be these latest gen 12 speed ones this is a rear. They have little stickers on but I think the brakes are actually identical front and rear and the stickers just to tell the idiots out there that the brake blocks are the opposite way round for front and rear brakes. Why they couldn't make the mounting bolts black I'll never know.

Same weight for a front

So the pair come in at this weight. I've saved a gram!

And this is how they compare to Super Record differential brakes

Front

Rear

And the pair. So the DMs are 51g heavier over the differentials.

c60rider

by c60rider

They have these little black o rings holding the cable guides and mounting bolts in place. Campag always used to supply little white caps over them instead. I've got so many of those still I used to cherish them as they had that particular campag manufacturing smell :lol: maybe I'm alone on that one :noidea: but it seemed to disappear when they moved away from the white boxes in the mid-90s. Nice to see they've returned to white boxes again.

You can just see the o ring holding the cable adjuster in place. That won't make its way onto the build.

And here are the ones holding the mounting bolts on. I think I'll leave these on as they aren't doing anything once they're in place

c60rider

by c60rider

Front derailleur with K edge chain catcher. I'm taking these off my C60 as that's in bits being cleaned up and I have newer ones on the previous disc build to go onto the C60.

Rear rear derailleur (HO version)

SR11 ergo levers

Rear

Front 4g lighter

robertbb

by robertbb

I'm super curious about those DM brakes...

Does the ferrule screw into the arm, or does it just sit loosely? The ferrule itself is threaded, but looks like the arm isn't threaded. I've always found this to be an utterly stupid design because it adds play to the system. Hence me constantly banging on about how good the Potenza skeleton brakes are... the ferrules actually screw in.

flying

by flying

c60rider wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:41 pm
discreet mudguard mounts was the main selling point along with the relatively light weight compared with other aluminium bikes with mudguard mounts. They tend to be much more robust frames shall we say and typically half as heavy again
Good Point :thumbup:

silvalis

by silvalis

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:41 am

Does the ferrule screw into the arm, or does it just sit loosely? The ferrule itself is threaded, but looks like the arm isn't threaded. I've always found this to be an utterly stupid design because it adds play to the system. Hence me constantly banging on about how good the Potenza skeleton brakes are... the ferrules actually screw in.
I'm pretty sure they are loose, like SR11 skellies.
The shop left the O-rings in place on mine - but the Orings perished and have broken in about a year and a half. Haven't fallen off (probably will now since I poked it)
Chasse patate

robertbb

by robertbb

silvalis wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:44 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:41 am

I'm pretty sure they are loose, like SR11 skellies.
The shop left the O-rings in place on mine - but the Orings perished and have broken in about a year and a half. Haven't fallen off (probably will now since I poked it)
How's the braking.. decent? Any noticeable difference from skeleton brakes?

silvalis

by silvalis

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:34 am

How's the braking.. decent? Any noticeable difference from skeleton brakes?
I reckon DP skellies have a bit more braking power - or at least the braking force ramps up faster than the 12s DMs (same pads, same wheelset)
Chasse patate

robertbb

by robertbb

In line with other reports. Campy's DM offerings not up to their usual high standards unfortunately. If I ever got a DM frame I'd be hunting around for an aftermarket set with Campy compatability.

silvalis

by silvalis

If I did it again (and if I had correct information at the time), I'd have gone for EE DMs. But back then, I was told that I couldn't stick EE DMs on my medium C2 Rere...
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com