Competitive Cyclist bike fit measurements.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blueturtle

by blueturtle

Could somebody tell me if the measurement from tip of saddle to handlebars is to the back edge of the handlebars or to the centre of the bars. ( i cannot check with Competitive Cyclist direct as i am in Europe and cannot get in touch because of some silly legistation) Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caad4rep

by caad4rep

I've always used center of bars

blueturtle

by blueturtle

Thanks caad4 Thats how i measure from saddle tip to middle of bars . However Competitive Cyclist sent me a list of measurements regarding bike size and i am sure but no means certain that their measurement re. saddle tip to handlebars was to back edge of bars. Just need to clarify.

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

how is saddle tip a valid measurement? won't it be different for every saddle, heck, different people might slighty different positions...
plus it will be affected by saddle height

jih

by jih

Given how many short-nose saddles there are now, would be better to measure to the part of the saddle where your sit bones rest.

Centre of bar makes the most sense. Otherwise, bar diameter would change their position.

flying

by flying

6. Saddle-Handlebar
This measurement ties together your choice of stem length with your saddle setback. It is
measured from the nose of the saddle to the near edge of your handlebar. Keeping within this
range will assure that you don't accidentally push the weight balance of your bike either too far
forward or backward.

That is from their pdf which I tried to attach but WW did not allow it.

The thing with CC fit suggestions is they are pretty general anyway & do give you 3 fit types (or did I have not tried them in years)

PS: Here is a link to download that pdf that goes into detail about their fit system
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/docs ... ad-fit.pdf

blueturtle

by blueturtle

The method that i employ is first get saddle height dialed in , then set saddle position relative to centre of bottom bracket and then set distance between saddle tip and handlebars. But what i want to know is. Does Competitive Cyclist take this measurement from centre or back of bars? , as they have sent me the values that i require but not the point on the handlebars from which to take this measurement.

flying

by flying

blueturtle wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:44 pm
The method that i employ is first get saddle height dialed in , then set saddle position relative to centre of bottom bracket and then set distance between saddle tip and handlebars. But what i want to know is. Does Competitive Cyclist take this measurement from centre or back of bars? , as they have sent me the values that i require but not the point on the handlebars from which to take this measurement.

That is their definition
It is measured from the nose of the saddle to the near edge of your handlebar.

So yes near edge would be back of bars

A complete explanation of their values/measurements is in their pdf which I also linked in my post above
Last edited by flying on Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueturtle

by blueturtle

To Flying. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my last posting was sent before you replied . However i am most grateful for your information . You gave me the answer i required . Cheers.

flying

by flying

blueturtle wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:03 pm
To Flying. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my last posting was sent before you replied . However i am most grateful for your information . You gave me the answer i required . Cheers.
:beerchug: :thumbup:

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

How do you find their results... I remember running their numbers once just for poops n giggles and they had my seat height so high my leg would almost be locked out at full extension!

flying

by flying

ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:40 pm
How do you find their results... I remember running their numbers once just for poops n giggles and they had my seat height so high my leg would almost be locked out at full extension!
I first used them many years ago ....2002? out of curiosity to see comparatively where I was in their numbers
Theirs are quite wide ranged & they give three versions...Eddy fit, Competitive Fit & French Fit

I still have the results & see today my numbers for seat height, seat to bar, stem length & top tube length are all mixed somewhere in their Competitive or French fit ranges

But my saddle setback behind BB is more than any of the three fit types

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

flying wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:48 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:40 pm
I first used them many years ago ....2002? out of curiosity to see comparatively where I was in their numbers
Theirs are quite wide ranged & they give three versions...Eddy fit, Competitive Fit & French Fit

I still have the results & see today my numbers for seat height, seat to bar, stem length & top tube length are all mixed somewhere in their Competitive or French fit ranges

But my saddle setback behind BB is more than any of the three fit types
Yeah, I remember now, the competitive fit was just insane how high they wanted my saddle height... Ive always been a .883 or .885 guy.. usually add 5mm to my TT saddle height just because of the forward setup.. I did a retul fit at the local shop when I bought my SL5 frameset... funny thing is, nothing moved from what I had using Lemonds setup method!

flying

by flying

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm
Yeah, I remember now, the competitive fit was just insane how high they wanted my saddle height...

Funny as they give such a wide/general range

For instance on mine the three methods range from 70.6 to 75.1
My actual is 73.02 so I guess about midway in their wide range :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com