What's the most expensive bike on this forum?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DJT21

by DJT21

I'm intrigued as to the price of some of these super exotic bikes I often see in the gallery. Who owns one? How much did it cost you? And post a pic if you can be bothered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'll tell you they dont keep track.. only the weight :)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jrobart

by jrobart

Don't keep track because no one wants their spouse to know what the bike really costs!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

Kazyole

by Kazyole

If I added it all up the number would be obscene. So I don't do that.

Cervelo RCA
Di2 9150
SRM origin powermeter
Carbon Ti chainrings
THM Fibulas brakes
THM Ulna bars
Extralite stem
Ceramic BB
ceramicspeed OSPW
Berk Saddle
Darimo post
YBN Titanium chain
etc, etc, etc

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156277
The time alone on this build is insain. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Ride fast Take chances

dgasmd

by dgasmd

You are likely to never get a number at all. You can do math like anyone if you see one you like, but likely it is nobody bought all the parts brands new to just do the one build. Most people pass parts from one bike to another and also buy used parts. In the end, nobody cares!

rollinslow

by rollinslow

jrobart wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 am
Don't keep track because no one wants their spouse to know what the bike really costs!
Lol, exactly. If we start putting numbers and the significant other happens to find this forum it's over.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

dcorn

by dcorn

Kazyole wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:04 am

Cervelo RCA
Di2 9150
SRM origin powermeter
Carbon Ti chainrings
THM Fibulas brakes
THM Ulna bars
Extralite stem
Ceramic BB
ceramicspeed OSPW
Berk Saddle
Darimo post
YBN Titanium chain
etc, etc, etc
This guy wins. Although Red AXS or EPS might be more expensive than Di2, at least if you are buying retail.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

dgasmd wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:41 am
You are likely to never get a number at all. You can do math like anyone if you see one you like, but likely it is nobody bought all the parts brands new to just do the one build. Most people pass parts from one bike to another and also buy used parts. In the end, nobody cares!
I´m pretty sure that if the bike gets stolen, the insurance company will get a number pretty quickly.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

jesper2913 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:42 pm
dgasmd wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:41 am
I´m pretty sure that if the bike gets stolen, the insurance company will get a number pretty quickly.
Lol
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Kazyole

by Kazyole

dcorn wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:21 pm
Kazyole wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:04 am

Cervelo RCA
Di2 9150
SRM origin powermeter
Carbon Ti chainrings
THM Fibulas brakes
THM Ulna bars
Extralite stem
Ceramic BB
ceramicspeed OSPW
Berk Saddle
Darimo post
YBN Titanium chain
etc, etc, etc
This guy wins. Although Red AXS or EPS might be more expensive than Di2, at least if you are buying retail.
I hope that I don't win. :shock:

At the end of the day It's really just all what you can personally justify. There's no real hard upper limit. And most of us on here get in the practice of upgrading our bikes part by part, which especially when you're going exotic is probably the most expensive way to go about it. But that's what I love about this hobby. I don't just get the joy of riding, but also the joy of poring over spreadsheets of parts, hand selecting each piece to try to build myself the best bike possible. The hunt for weight savings and the ever-continuing process of rebuilding. tweaking, and perfecting the bike is something that I deeply enjoy.

Though now that I look through the build, it really is a ton of money if you add it all up at once. Especially if I'd paid MSRP on the frame (which thankfully I did not).

Really as I go through the parts list, the only part of my bike right now that is relatively "inexpensive" are the wheels. Roval CLX32 clinchers. I'd love to put on something more exotic, but the premium to upgrade to something like Schmolke TLO 45s is hard to justify. 1266g for rovals with Rox ultralite rim strips, vs 1180g for the Schmolke wheels with Tune hubs, factoring in the money I'd need to put up to get those wheels...I have a hard time saying it's worth it. But then again, if in the future that ~90g is key to breaking through some milestone weight I'll probably do it. Such is this sickness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com