DengFu R12 build questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattAJohnson

by MattAJohnson

Hey everyone, new to the discussion forum but I couldn't find anything on this topic from the searches.

I'm currently building a DengFu R12 road bike and chose not to order it with the integrated handlebars because I wanted the traditional bar/stem look. When the bike arrived it looks like putting a normal stem on it would cause some trouble with the cable routing for the handlebars because it was meant to be integrated in the stem.

Am I able to use a tradional bar/stem on this frame and if so how will the cable routing be done for the handlebars with the head tube in the pictures.

Any help is appreciated, if this has been discussed (on other frames as well) please direct me to the appropriate forums.

Thank you all
Attachments
0B64D6E7-77B7-4242-9ACA-182B0BC96F28.jpeg
2516F981-E051-4ABB-81D6-AB6AD8D625D6.jpeg

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I think that may be a hard one given the shape of the top cover. Depending on the diameter of the upper bearing, you might be able to find a generic top cover. You could then modify that port on the top of the downtube to run your cables in through there. I'm not familiar with the frame, so if it has front disc and the cables are run internally through the headset, that may be a problem and looking at those pictures, it looks like that may be a larger than normal bearing up top.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattAJohnson

by MattAJohnson

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm
I think that may be a hard one given the shape of the top cover. Depending on the diameter of the upper bearing, you might be able to find a generic top cover. You could then modify that port on the top of the downtube to run your cables in through there. I'm not familiar with the frame, so if it has front disc and the cables are run internally through the headset, that may be a problem and looking at those pictures, it looks like that may be a larger than normal bearing up top.
Thank you for your reply!

It's not a disc brake frame but there are no other ports for the cables to go other than through the head tube. Definitely a larger diameter bearing, I'm hoping I can just run the cables out of the head tube with a normal stem

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

MattAJohnson wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:01 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm
Thank you for your reply!

It's not a disc brake frame but there are no other ports for the cables to go other than through the head tube. Definitely a larger diameter bearing, I'm hoping I can just run the cables out of the head tube with a normal stem
My concern with a normal stem would be that it won't sit flush with that top cover. With the bearings being that size, probably going to have a real problem finding a top cover that will fit and a wedge to center the steerer in the bearing. If it came with some spacers, you might be able to sand a spacer flat on the top side and make a normal stem work, then fill the holes in the top cover with Sugru or something like that. You could probably even use Sugru and still run the cables internally through the top cover and have it not come out looking too bad. Being rim brake, that at leat makes routing brake cables easiser.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

That oversized bearing and cable go through the bearing look a lot like FSA ACR system.
https://bikerumor.com/2018/12/09/fsa-in ... el-debuts/
FSA, Deda, Ritchey etc. have some ACR compatible stems, spacers and headset cap. Maybe those third party headset caps are the way to try?

Naillos

by Naillos

MattAJohnson wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:13 pm
Hey everyone, new to the discussion forum but I couldn't find anything on this topic from the searches.

I'm currently building a DengFu R12 road bike and chose not to order it with the integrated handlebars because I wanted the traditional bar/stem look. When the bike arrived it looks like putting a normal stem on it would cause some trouble with the cable routing for the handlebars because it was meant to be integrated in the stem.

Am I able to use a tradional bar/stem on this frame and if so how will the cable routing be done for the handlebars with the head tube in the pictures.

Any help is appreciated, if this has been discussed (on other frames as well) please direct me to the appropriate forums.

Thank you all
I have been looking into picking up the R12 complete bike dengfu offers. I can't find anything on what people think of it however, hows your experience been on the bike so far? Thanks!

kipduff

by kipduff

The R12 is something I might buy also- top of my list so far. My concerns are EXACTY same as yours- your post is almost exactly what I would have written. Only difference, I haven't bought one yet.

I don't really get this set up entirely... BUT, why not cut a hole or slot in the outer front of the spacer and run your stuff thru there? Seems almost identical to their covered set up. The clamping force will still be handled by the center of the spacer which will not be disturbed. Or, though it would look maybe ugly, couldn't you use regular spacers and let your lines run into the same opening in the steerer area that it would be going thru anyway with their aero/suggested set up? In my case, I will use SRAM eTap HYD 1X, so no shift cables.

Can you please let us know how it worked out??? Pictures???

Did you get the HB015 handle bar? It doesn't look bad- maybe a little heavy?
Last edited by kipduff on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kipduff

by kipduff

Naillos wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm
MattAJohnson wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Thank you all
I have been looking into picking up the R12 complete bike dengfu offers. I can't find anything on what people think of it however, hows your experience been on the bike so far? Thanks!
Me too. Did you find out anything? Any progress?

Why are there so few posts or apparent interest in the R12.... or Workswell WCB-R-268? It's like no one is buying any......

I was also interested in Dengfu R02 disc, but R02 can only accomodate 25C tire size.

tigradekat

by tigradekat

kipduff wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Why are there so few posts or apparent interest in the R12.... or Workswell WCB-R-268? It's like no one is buying any......
I would say that the Workswell variant is quite popular, here in The Netherlands at least. I bought one, and I know of several others who purchased a frameset as well. This is my Workswell WCB-R-268:

kipduff

by kipduff

tigradekat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:15 am
kipduff wrote:

I would say that the Workswell variant is quite popular, here in The Netherlands at least. I bought one, and I know of several others who purchased a frameset as well. This is my Workswell WCB-R-268:

I'm not sure, but it looks like you are running brake lines completely internal- and maybe no shift cables (electric?)- correct? It's not clear in the picture. Did you buy recommended handlebar from Workswell for that?

I would really appreciate if you could give any opinions- and how it compares to other bikes you have ridden, if any. Difficulties, problems, weak areas with this build and your R-268 opinion in general, if any. Heavy frame?

Is there a forum where this bike is discussed? As I mentioned earlier, I see almost nothing on the internet about R-12 or WCB-R-268- an information desert......

Thanks so much for your reply :D !

tigradekat

by tigradekat

To be honest with you I did not weigh components individually. The complete bike as pictured is 7.72kg, with the wheelset coming in at 1580 grams. This is a size 58 with full Ultegra Di2, Dura Ace crankset, Dura Ace pedals and Fizik Vento Argo R1 saddle.

This seems a competitive weight to me compared to a lot of similarly specced bikes from the likes of canyon, giant, specialized, orbea, etc.

The bike handling I would classify as neutral. Not twitchy at all, but at the same time it corners easily and confidently.
The bike feels very stiff in the front and and bottom bracket. It really gives nothing away in those areas.

To me the comfort is very good, but I attribute this for a big part to the saddle and the wheelset. I ride tubeless at 5 bar, with 25mm tires which are an actual 29mm wide on these rims. You can imagine that being able to ride at such low pressures does wonders for mitigating road buzz. I would expect the ride to be a bit harsher with more traditional wheels, as this frame has no comfort enhancing features.

The integrated bar comes as part of the frameset, and really is part of the whole concept. All cables are routed through the frame up via the headset into the handlebar. As said, I run Di2, but the frame comes with the small parts to run Di2 as well as mechanical groupsets, so the choice is yours. Mechanical cables would have to be with full length outer cables through the frame though, as the only cable stop is near the front derailer.

This bike reminds me the most of a Specialized Venge I test rode a couple of years back. It really feels quite similar. Looking at the geometry data, it also tracks the Venge geo quite closely, so it makes sense I guess.

The build was very straight forward, with the obvious challenge of routing the cables internally. The bends the cables make in the handlebar need to be quite sharp, which makes things difficult. But apart from that I encountered no issues. The fit and finish of the frame is quite good. I had no issues with brake caliper alignment, and the bottom bracket cups pressed in with the expected amount of force, indicating correct sizing of the bottom bracket.

All in all this bike is the best bike I've ever owned, with my previous bike being a Stevens Ventoux specced with 1st Gen Dura Ace Di2 and Dura Ace C35 tubular wheelset.

I would not hesitate to recommend this frame to anyone. I am more than happy with how it performs.

kipduff

by kipduff

Tigradekat:

"Bends in cables"- cable operated disc brakes? I did some research, and Di2 is electric with wiring. I plan to use hyhraulic brakes- do you think hydraulic routing would be difficult? My shifting will be wireless.

Thanks so much for this info :D

tigradekat

by tigradekat

kipduff wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:25 pm
Tigradekat:

"Bends in cables"- cable operated disc brakes? I did some research, and Di2 is electric with wiring. I plan to use hyhraulic brakes- do you think hydraulic routing would be difficult? My shifting will be wireless.

No, hydraulic. I should have said "bends in hoses".

kipduff

by kipduff

tigradekat wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:42 am
kipduff wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:25 pm
Tigradekat:

No, hydraulic. I should have said "bends in hoses".
Didn't know the hydraulic hoses were difficult to bend- never build a bike like this. Good info.....

I see the similarity to the Venge. All internal routing, etc. May come along with a little more weight. This is pushing me to consider a more "old-school" frame like Dengfu R01 "disc"- with less aero. Simple. Will be able to use whatever handlebar set up I want. I'm not very fast, so "aero" is more aesthetic than necessary. And no front deraileur or 2nd chain ring will also contribute to theme of "simple, less".

zaak

by zaak

tigradekat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:15 am
kipduff wrote:

hello , hope is not too late for question. This Workswell frame is 58? and please how toll are you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com