DengFu R12 build questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
MattAJohnson

by MattAJohnson

Hey everyone, new to the discussion forum but I couldn't find anything on this topic from the searches.

I'm currently building a DengFu R12 road bike and chose not to order it with the integrated handlebars because I wanted the traditional bar/stem look. When the bike arrived it looks like putting a normal stem on it would cause some trouble with the cable routing for the handlebars because it was meant to be integrated in the stem.

Am I able to use a tradional bar/stem on this frame and if so how will the cable routing be done for the handlebars with the head tube in the pictures.

Any help is appreciated, if this has been discussed (on other frames as well) please direct me to the appropriate forums.

Thank you all
Attachments
0B64D6E7-77B7-4242-9ACA-182B0BC96F28.jpeg
2516F981-E051-4ABB-81D6-AB6AD8D625D6.jpeg

by Weenie

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I think that may be a hard one given the shape of the top cover. Depending on the diameter of the upper bearing, you might be able to find a generic top cover. You could then modify that port on the top of the downtube to run your cables in through there. I'm not familiar with the frame, so if it has front disc and the cables are run internally through the headset, that may be a problem and looking at those pictures, it looks like that may be a larger than normal bearing up top.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

MattAJohnson

by MattAJohnson

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm
I think that may be a hard one given the shape of the top cover. Depending on the diameter of the upper bearing, you might be able to find a generic top cover. You could then modify that port on the top of the downtube to run your cables in through there. I'm not familiar with the frame, so if it has front disc and the cables are run internally through the headset, that may be a problem and looking at those pictures, it looks like that may be a larger than normal bearing up top.
Thank you for your reply!

It's not a disc brake frame but there are no other ports for the cables to go other than through the head tube. Definitely a larger diameter bearing, I'm hoping I can just run the cables out of the head tube with a normal stem

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

MattAJohnson wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:01 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm
Thank you for your reply!

It's not a disc brake frame but there are no other ports for the cables to go other than through the head tube. Definitely a larger diameter bearing, I'm hoping I can just run the cables out of the head tube with a normal stem
My concern with a normal stem would be that it won't sit flush with that top cover. With the bearings being that size, probably going to have a real problem finding a top cover that will fit and a wedge to center the steerer in the bearing. If it came with some spacers, you might be able to sand a spacer flat on the top side and make a normal stem work, then fill the holes in the top cover with Sugru or something like that. You could probably even use Sugru and still run the cables internally through the top cover and have it not come out looking too bad. Being rim brake, that at leat makes routing brake cables easiser.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

That oversized bearing and cable go through the bearing look a lot like FSA ACR system.
https://bikerumor.com/2018/12/09/fsa-in ... el-debuts/
FSA, Deda, Ritchey etc. have some ACR compatible stems, spacers and headset cap. Maybe those third party headset caps are the way to try?