Tarmac sizing

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
jasonh

Re: Tarmac sizing

Post by jasonh »

Don’t forget that another difference between 54-56&58cm frames will have different crank lengths. At 5’11” I would imagine you’d be between a 56 and 58, no? Unless you want a long stem with a low position.

Lewn777

Post by Lewn777 »

jasonh wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 pm
Don’t forget that another difference between 54-56&58cm frames will have different crank lengths. At 5’11” I would imagine you’d be between a 56 and 58, no? Unless you want a long stem with a low position.
I'm taller than the OP and I would strongly suggest that he not get a 58cm, IMHO that's too large.
I suggest 56cm for the regular rider or 54 for someone that likes to be fairly slammed or low.
According to this sizing chart, 56 is considered ideal and not between sizes for the OP.
https://static.evanscycles.com/systest/ ... -chart.pdf

Zappano

Post by Zappano »

1. He just wanted to know what other riders with a similar height are riding.
2. He wanted to know if a smaller or bigger frame would be better (54 or 56). IMO like others said as well, a smaller frame is superiour (providing you don‘t need a lot of spacers). A bigger frame makes you feel like a passenger and not a rider.
3. a 58 frame would be definitely too big.
4. A sizing chart according to height is pretty useless. (like I already mentioned in my first post, there are a lot more factors to factor into)
5. calm down. It‘s just cycling, and there are obviously different opinions, like in every topic on here.

Karvalo

Post by Karvalo »

Zappano wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:48 pm
4. A sizing chart according to height is pretty useless.
QED :noidea:

Zappano

Post by Zappano »

Karvalo wrote:
Zappano wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:48 pm
4. A sizing chart according to height is pretty useless.
QED :noidea:
of course it‘s contradictory, but he can still ask for that even tough it‘s useless... You are stating the obvious...

pls take the stick out of your bum hole...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

wilwil

Post by wilwil »

I am 178 cm, 5 10 with longish legs (BB to saddle centre 755 mm). I looked at buying a Tarmac to find that the 56 was a bit too long and the 54 a bit too small (stack) without loads of spacers. I only have 80mm of drop.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

There is a big difference in reach between the two sizes, 17mm once corrected to position the stem at the same height on both bikes. It's a common mistake not to make this correction. Subtract 3mm for each 10mm of stack height difference, from the reach of the smaller frame, to get the proper comparision.

TobinHatesYou

Post by TobinHatesYou »

wilwil wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:13 pm
I am 178 cm, 5 10 with longish legs (BB to saddle centre 755 mm). I looked at buying a Tarmac to find that the 56 was a bit too long and the 54 a bit too small (stack) without loads of spacers. I only have 80mm of drop.

The Tarmac has a bog-standard fit at those sizes so either use a combinations of spacers, flip up a 6deg stem on a 54cm while dealing with the aesthetics, or use a shorter stem on a 56cm. Or just get an endurance bike...nothing wrong with that.

Also consider using something like Aerofly riser bars for +25mm in stack height.

hawkinssmythe

Post by hawkinssmythe »

TobinHatesYou wrote:
wilwil wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:13 pm

The Tarmac has a bog-standard fit at those sizes so either use a combinations of spacers, flip up a 6deg stem on a 54cm while dealing with the aesthetics, or use a shorter stem on a 56cm. Or just get an endurance bike...nothing wrong with that.

Also consider using something like Aerofly riser bars for +25mm in stack height.
Thanks Tobin. Rode both the 54 and 56 over the weekend. Wow! Agree there is a big difference between the two and if there was a 55 it would be a perfect fit! I already have a C60 so am actually steering toward the endurance bike for all year round and then relooking at the tarmac when the new one comes out later this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

Post by wingguy »

Karvalo

Post by Karvalo »

Zappano wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:27 pm
of course it‘s contradictory, but he can still ask for that even tough it‘s useless... You are stating the obvious...
It might be obvious to you but it's not obvious to everyone. The OP asked for sizing advice on the basis of his height alone - why do you think it's a bad thing to tell him that sizing advice based purely on height is useless, given that you agree with that advice and hav stated it yourself?
pls take the stick out of your bum hole...
What stick? I haven't said anything insulting or confrontational, it's you and the OP that are getting shitty and personal. Chill out, you'll feel better.