Edco cassette sprocket - hardness of the steel / resistance to wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommasini

by tommasini

For one of my builds I'm looking at using the lightweight all steel "monoblock" Edco cassette - I believe it is actually made by Recon. With 12 speed they are about 90 grams lighter than the Campagnolo SR 12 speed version. https://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/m ... cassettes/

Does anyone have experiance with those steel cassettes compared to standard Campagnolo/Shimano/SRAM to be able to offer a comparison about their long term durability - i.e. hardness of the steel / resistance to wear of the teeth profile.

Thanks

(I don't need to hear about problems with their aluminum (or Ti) versions as I know those are much too fragile).

spud

by spud

I had an 11 sp one, and got rid of it. Admittedly, my chain stretched a bit too much (about 1%), afterwards it wouldn't hold a new chain. So I did screw up, but in my defense, I've never had a cassette last for only one chain, and I've had chains get stretched further. The bigger issue was that the shifting was always marginal, both going up and down the cassette. Changed to a Shimano, and with basically no adjustments, shifting worked perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

@tommasini, did you try this steel cassette?
Curious as the weight saving would be a LOT.

wltz

by wltz

I tried Recon CroMo 11sp (11-32) with UDi2. Neither me nor my (pretty decent) LBS were able to make it downshift from 15t to 16t cog. It would in a stand, but never under load. The only way to improve shifting in the middle by playing with the high limit sacrificed shifting in the smallest 3 cogs. Some other downshifts were also hesitant. Replaced it with XG1190 after 2 rides. I think someone else in another thread reported the same problem. Other than that - a thing of beauty :)

Arph

by Arph

Ah. Just bought an 11-speed one for 10-speed Dura Ace tubulars. Will have to try it and not wait ...

tommasini

by tommasini

micky wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:08 pm
Yes started using it only late last fall - no problems with shifting. I was most curious about longevity. I did hear back from Recon themselves (they manufacture Recon and Edco) and their reply (as best I can remember - cant find the email) was it is a specially heat treated steel - and that by being machined from billet the grain is better arrainged to provide optimal stiffness / strength / longevity compared to flast sheet stamped sprockets. They said I should expect the same longevity as what I would see from cassettes made by the big 3.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Arph wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 pm
Ah. Just bought an 11-speed one for 10-speed Dura Ace tubulars. Will have to try it and not wait ...
oooo, hows the clearance on those? I've got 4 or 5 sets of 10 speed wheels (Ultegra and D-A) in various configurations. If i can get an 11 speed monoblock cassette on them i can get them back into service. Seems a waste to only have them on the older bikes when some of them are barely even run in......

brumbar

by brumbar

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:33 pm
Arph wrote:
oooo, hows the clearance on those? I've got 4 or 5 sets of 10 speed wheels (Ultegra and D-A) in various configurations. If i can get an 11 speed monoblock cassette on them i can get them back into service. Seems a waste to only have them on the older bikes when some of them are barely even run in......
https://edco.bike/products/edco-ten-to- ... eq=uniform

C36

by C36

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Arph wrote:
I have one that I use on a pair of Spinergy Rev-x team 8-10 speed hub.
Worked perfectly on mechanical dura ace a bit more tricky to adjust with the Di2 bike but I got it sorted having everything perfect (chain length and adjusting the upper pulley position).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Arph

by Arph

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:33 pm
Arph wrote:
Clearance seems fine with a 12-28 on a wh-7850-C24-TU (Dura Ace 7850 tubulars carbon C24 for non-Shimano speakers :welcome: :wink: ). Clearance is also fine on a Bianchi Infinito frame, using of course the 10-to-11 lockring linked above (threads are longer than on the regular 11-speed lockring, and profile is lower, so as it doesn't rub on the right dropout). On an older Orbea Orca (2009, the one Samuel Sanchez rode in Beijing in 2008), things are tighter but I am confident it would work (not so sure with an 11-teeth start though).

Yoaqim

by Yoaqim

tommasini wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 pm
micky wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:08 pm
Yes started using it only late last fall - no problems with shifting. I was most curious about longevity. I did hear back from Recon themselves (they manufacture Recon and Edco) and their reply (as best I can remember - cant find the email) was it is a specially heat treated steel - and that by being machined from billet the grain is better arrainged to provide optimal stiffness / strength / longevity compared to flast sheet stamped sprockets. They said I should expect the same longevity as what I would see from cassettes made by the big 3.
I am using a Recon 12-29 monoblock cassette for 12s Campagnolo. So far approx 1000 km, no visible wear. Shifting is fine and the cassette runs smoother and more silent compared to a 12s Super Record 11-29. Due to the golden coloured Titanium Nitride coating the cassette does not attract dirt and grease and stays shiny.

micky

by micky

That's some interesting feedback guys.
If I could just get back my Colnago fork asap.....

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

Ive got an Edco 11-27 that I run with SR11 EPS. I'd say shifting is on par with the 11-28 Ultegra I have on one wheelset but my primary wheelset with a SR 11-29 cassette is the quitest of the three. I haven't done enough miles on the Edco to comment on durability.
Seven Axiom SG - Force AXS rim brake
Colnago C50 - Campy Chorus 12
Wilier Filante - SRAM Force/Red AXS
Wilier Zero SLR - Red AXS

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Just wondering if anyone has any further reviews on the Campy 12sp Recon cassette?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Reviving this topic as I was looking for a possible cassette for a mate, but it seems the Edco EU shop removed all monoblock cassettes from their website, meanwhile they still appear on the UK website.

@bikeboy1tr, I've got an Edco for Campagnolo 12s which Im using on my "race day wheelset" and so far so good.
Initially it was a bit noisy on a sprocket but it seems to have dissapeared now and Im pretty pleased with it.