Best (value?) road bike on the current market - 2020

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Shpox

by Shpox

Hello. Yes I know is this a broad topic but it's sometimes worth asking a simple version of this questions to get the view of WW.

My question to you guys what the best road bike is on the market at the moment, for the type of riding you are doing? What is swooning you?

The trends as far as I can see coming out of 2019 are...
  • Aero is a thing (clothing, wheels, frameset)
    Disc brakes are a thing (whether we like it or not)
    Lightweight has taken less of a spotlight, most likely to the behest of discs
    Wider Rims are a thing for comfort
    $16,000 bikes are a thing
I've personally am upto building my third road bike and there are things I am not into anymore. Uncomfortable bikes and having a bad fit. Bikes with massive company logos plastered all over and still, heavy bikes, boring paint jobs and propietary parts that do not work or are worse that say the shimano equivalent.

okimy

by okimy

Shpox wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 pm
Hello. Yes I know is this a broad topic but it's sometimes worth asking a simple version of this questions to get the view of WW.

My question to you guys what the best road bike is on the market at the moment, for the type of riding you are doing? What is swooning you?
Best bike for my type of riding (I live on the edge of a really hilly region and a really flat region) is probably a Specialized Venge or Canyon Aeroad. They're waaay too expensive for me though so I'm currently riding a Canyon Ultimate CF SL disc with Ultegra. So far I love it and I hope to get 10 or more years out of that bike before I end up moving on. I went with Canyon because of the price tag. I have good connections to a local Specialized/Cannondale bike shop but you just can't get an Ultegra disc bike that weighs 8 kg (with pedals and cages) for 2500€ from a shop. And I can use it on the trainer without voiding warranty.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Stiffness or comfort?
Comfort or speed?
Fast acceleration or fast constant speed?
All weather descender or ultralight climber?
High speed stability or precise cornering?

Can't get everything. What are your priorities?

I'd like the speed of a ferrari but the loading capacity of a truck. A compromise would probably be undesireable. It wouldn't be worth sinking big money into.

Just some thoughts that might or might not help decide. :D

Ypuh

by Ypuh

"Best bike" is something entirely different than "trending".

My favourite bike is probably still my good old Surly Cross Check that ticks all the boxes forumcriticists would probably have. It's steel, supports wide rims, I use it for touring/gravel/winter and also 37kph+ group rides and you must be an idiot to break it (or a hero bikemechanic to fix it). It rides like a Benz, handles all the (ab)use thrown at it and gets the most ride time by far.

My 2018 Cervelo S3 -an aeroframe like many others, clearance only for 23-25mm tyres, a massive headtube, big logo's on the frame, a creaking bottom bracket, annoying internal cable loops, slippery (and not so beautiful) seatpost and many other faults- is still the bike that makes my heart tick a little faster. Why do bike choices always have to be rational? Then we'd all be riding a Canyon.

When it comes to trends, I think wider rims, disc brakes, some aero characteristics, electronic shifting etc. are already normalized. Trends are probably e-roadbikes, suspended roadbikes (e.g. Roubaix), 1x road setups with excessive range, fully integrated electrics (stock powermeters, Garmin interagration, light units) combined with shifting (Di2/AXS) and cable/cockpit systems.

Main trend for 2020 is probably proprietary parts and closed systems since they seem like an excellent way to make money once your locked in to the $8k+ bike and $3k+ groupset. Almost no one is (thinking of) switching from Di2 to Etap or back.
Last edited by Ypuh on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkentik

by mkentik

A tribute and explanation to the supposed
"Mostly" wanted frames and companies
Makes you wonder where we give our money to?

https://youtu.be/zryhuHkbb-o

1)Cicli Barco XCR
2)Pinarello Dogma F8 Disc
3)Colnago Oval Master Titanium

-----------------------------------------
[Pinarello Dogma F8 Disc](https://i.imgur.com/Hua8Tb2.jpg?1)
[Colnago Master Oval Titanium](https://i.imgur.com/6rbtutG.jpg)
[Cicli Barco XCR](https://i.imgur.com/Srss6Pb.jpg)

dcorn

by dcorn

I'd say best value is the Canyon Ultimate Di2 Disc for $3700. Doesn't come with carbon wheels like the rest, but you can easily find a set for the difference in cost.

Runner up, all with Di2 and hydro disc:

Canyon Aeroad SL Disc 8.0 Di2 - $5000 (I got the 2018 version of this bike, but the SLX frame and it was only $4600 back then, so an even better deal)

Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc Di2 - $5400

Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert Di2 - $5500 (comes with nice wide Roval C38 wheels, tubeless ready for some comfy 28 or 30c tires) If this bike was available 2 years ago, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Oh, and bike prices have been super high for a long time, but now there are just way more of them. The 2010 S-works Tarmac SL3 SL that I bought in 2011 retailed for $10k, but I was able to get it half off. The shop I bought it from also had a Look 695 with Di2 and Lightweight wheels for $16500. In 2011.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I just helped my friend pick up a Liv Langma Advanced Pro 1 disk for $4600 out the door. The bike is essentially a females version of the TCR Advanced Pro 1 disk with both listing at $5400. The bike comes with Ultegra Di2, Carbon tubeless wheels, and dual side power meter. To me this is by far the best value in the industry.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

It's hard to beat a Giant if you like their bikes... even cheaper then Canyon in most cases.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Probably the Cannondale CAAD 13 with Ultegra. Aero, discs, inexpensive. Perfect bike for amateur road racing. If we are going beyond the best peformance/dollar ratio then it's much more complicated IMO.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Slightly biased but the 2020 Scott addict RC are great value. I picked up the full ultegra mechanical disc model for £2,600 which is built on the same frame ridden by Michelton Scott - it has fully integrated cabling. Granted not carbon wheels and the bar/stem are uber heavy but a lot of bike for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Any of the Giant Propels and TCRs. Too bad the brand has 0 appeal to me and the TCR has high front end which I wished was lower and had internal routing.

I find their speccd bang for buck. 5k CAD with a power meter and decent wheels is unheard of with other bike brands. They even have a 2k CAD frame which I'll never find in other brands

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Fezzari Empire looks like a fairly good deal; their R8000 mechanical disk and Force E-tap/carbon wheel versions are at the same price points as Canyon with similar spec levels.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:45 pm
Any of the Giant Propels and TCRs. Too bad the brand has 0 appeal to me and the TCR has high front end which I wished was lower...
???
TCR Advanced in size ML (equivalent of about a 56 - 57) have a stack of 562 and reach of 398. That puts them toward the long and low end of modern race bikes. Are you saying you can't get a fit on a TCR because the geo is not aggressive enough for you?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:29 pm
Probably the Cannondale CAAD 13 with Ultegra. Aero, discs, inexpensive. Perfect bike for amateur road racing. If we are going beyond the best peformance/dollar ratio then it's much more complicated IMO.
This. Or the Specialized Allez. Aluminum has a good price-value ratio, even as I currently ride only carbon.
Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: S-Works Tarmac SL6, LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:29 pm
Completely agree. I'm still blown away by how heavy this bike is but overall it is probably the best of everything per dollar.