Campagnolo 11 / 12 speed compatibility

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
rhysldavies

by rhysldavies

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked but i couldnt find an answer via the search function.

I have a new Argon 18 Gallium Pro 2019 frame on a crash replacement after my old frame got smashed up in a car collision and ive always been a campag man.

I have a couple of parts that survived the crash - namely the 11 speed chorus brake calipers, 11 speed chorus front mech and a stunning 11 speed Super Record chainset. Which (if any) of these would be compatible with the other components in a 12 speed campag set up? Otherwise i will either stick with 11 speed components or maybe even move to the dark side and put Dura Ace 9100 on it as that would also look pretty smart in the black colourway.

I would build 12 speed up bit by bit via ebay and online deals as i'm in no immediate rush to build the bike so i could hopefully do it at a decent price.

Thanks all

Rhys.

AJS914

by AJS914

The crankset and brake calipers will not be a problem.

JoO

by JoO

Sorry to hijack your thread but would a pre 2015 crankset also work with 12 speed chain and derailleurs?

DaveS

by DaveS

11 speed cranksets should all work the same. AFAIK, only the shift levers, FDs and RDs were changed in 2015. You might get the 2015+ FD to work, since the 12 speed left shifter works about the same, but with the small cost of a FD, I'd buy a 12 speed. The new maximum smoothness cables are a must, IMO.