Finding molten speed wax or food grade paraffin wax in denmark/europe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 pm
jlok wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:35 pm
get a vice grip to grab the chain out of the pot, I think it's easier than using a pair of chopsticks. Enjoy the chain dive LOL

No need with a swisher tool.
whatever "floats"... your chains easier, your choice :)

my choice is a pair of disposable chopsticks
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:09 am

Well okay, but the swisher tool also prevents tangles/kinks and makes it easy to hang-cool the chains after removal (with a slight modification.) I can also loop my Connex links on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:18 am
jlok wrote:

Well okay, but the swisher tool also prevents tangles/kinks and makes it easy to hang-cool the chains after removal (with a slight modification.) I can also loop my Connex links on them.
That's very good indeed.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have put over 500mi. on my waxed chains on two bikes. I'm not going back to drip lube. I rode through 30mph cross winds by a lake today with blowing sand from the swim beach by the lake. The chain is totally unaffected by the sand.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jlok wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:20 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:18 am
jlok wrote:

That's very good indeed.
I did similar to the coat hanger, but I used some old spokes. They tend to hold their shape a little bit better than coat hangars after you bend them. I bent two right angles, maybe 1/4" long at the thredded end to hold the chan, then maybe 1~2" at the other end to hold it and to hang on a rack to dry. Thredded end goes in between the inner and outer plates and keeps it from slipping or falling off the spoke.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

uuuhhh... only waiting for the wax to arrive now... started clean chains so that they are ready :-D this is fun :-D

MichaelB

by MichaelB

MaxPower wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:54 am
This is going to be fun! (oh we Germans love procedures)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

okimy

by okimy

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:40 pm
MaxPower wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:54 am
This is going to be fun! (oh we Germans love procedures)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same procedure as every year James

mortirolo

by mortirolo

My recipe:
-MSW on new chains
-after 3-400 km squirt on heated chain
(BOSCH Heat Gun with LCD, 90-100C)
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

kdawg

by kdawg

Is anyone else having trouble with Oz Cycles recommended cleaning?

I'm using the new recipe with PTFE and the new cleaning method - petrol, degreaser then methylated spirits. I only bought one 2l container of spirits but used most of it on my first chain - it would just never get clear.

That was my wet weather bike so I figured it was just mucky. Today did my best bike and the chain was pretty new and pretty clean. Did the petrol twice as that's cheap and easy, then degreaser, rinsed and the spirits - but after 3 rinses it's still misty.

I'm thinking of going back to petrol a couple of times tomorrow until that's clear and then the spirit should be fine.

It feels like a really clean chain is important - or am I just being too fussy?
I'm left handed, if that matters.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Get an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner with a heating element, pour in boiling water, put your chain in a ziplock bag with 5:1 hot water:citrus degreaser. Put the ziplock bag in the ultrasonic cleaner and let it run for a few minutes. Pour the cloudy liquid out and repeat a couple times until the solution stays pretty clear. The heat is pretty important. Rinse with water and then, wipe down, use a compressor or heating element to accelerate the drying process if desired.

Also he uses way too much PTFE.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

by DaveS

I'm not sure what methylated spirits is, unless it's just mineral spirits (oil based paint thinner).

Oz is not keen on the proper solvents to use. Mineral spirits is OK, but naphtha/white gas/ camp stove fuel evaporates more quickly and will dissolve paraffin at room temperature.

Isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, methanol and xylene have no use for chain cleaning or making a liquid paraffin lube.

I would also not use water or water soluble products for chain cleaning.

A good liquid paraffin lube has 4-5 parts paraffin to one part lubricating oil, then 4-6 parts naptha, added to dissolve the paraffin.

I don't bother with hot waxing. I see no advantage over liquid paraffin lube.

tleo

by tleo

DaveS wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 pm

Isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, methanol and xylene have no use for chain cleaning or making a liquid paraffin lube.
Not sure I totally agree with this. As far as dissolving wax sure, but I always use 91% Isopropyl as a final rinse after cleaning a new chain in mineral spirits to remove the factory lube.

kdawg

by kdawg

Yeah there's a lot of confusion due to different terms used in different parts of the world.

Methylated spirits (meths) is what the UK calls denatured alcohol - ethanol with additives to make it poisonous so it's cheaper as it doesn't attract the duty of alcohol you can drink.

The only problem is that it is usually dyed purple. I found a liquid fuel which is basically the same but clear - works the same just easier to tell that your final rinse is clear.

As above this is just the final step to get rid of any oily film. Makes sense to me as I used to use mineral spirits (in a sonic bath) but the residue doesn't mix well with waxing.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DaveS wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 pm

I don't bother with hot waxing. I see no advantage over liquid paraffin lube.

We might not notice it on the bike, but solid paraffin is going to be more lubricious than your emulsion. That's why Squirt, Smoove and other never beat paraffin in any independent tests. Sure it's convenient for frequent application, but it also requires slightly more maintenance/cleaning on the rest of the drivetrain. I dip 5 chains at a time, once every 2 months or so and that works for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Also the wetter the lube in dry conditions, the worse they fair on the efficiency front over time. Your emulsion would be more convenient in wet weather though. I only use my waxed chains for up to 150mi in the rain, but you could keep dripping new lube on after every ride.

I went wax to chase the efficiency gains. If I were to go back to drip, I’d probably be back with RnR Gold. I already use that on my trainer/spare bike.