Finding molten speed wax or food grade paraffin wax in denmark/europe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Hey
I know, it may be a ling shot and a very specific request, but i try anyway.

I would like to try waxing chains, but after multiple days of Google searches and disappointment multiple times, its really hard to find a molten speed wax supplier in Europe, preferable in denmark (were i am). Shops i found in Europe who have molten speed wax don't ship to DK. Food grade paraffin wax as a alternative is also almost impossible to find in DK/with shipment to dk.

Anyone - were do you buy mspeedwax or food grade paraffin wax (preferable from a Danish shop).

Thanks (and a happy 2020)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kasperkls02

by kasperkls02

Hello.

I live in denmark and i make my own wax. Do you by any chance live near Kolding? If so, you can come get some of mine, i have a lot.

Regards kasper

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Double post
Last edited by MaxPower on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

kasperkls02 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:22 pm
Hello.

I live in denmark and i make my own wax. Do you by any chance live near Kolding? If so, you can come get some of mine, i have a lot.

Regards kasper
Nope. West Seeland. But thanks. What do you use and were do you order it from?

arthurf

by arthurf

JoO

by JoO

I live in Belgium and use 100% pure paraffin wax granules from the brand spaas.
https://www.suprabazar.be/1331-wonen/13 ... -250G.html
very cheap!

Right now i am trying to find FTFE powder to try out OZ cycles (see youtube) new mixture that claims to last longer than MSW.

kdawg

by kdawg

I'm doing the same - waiting on my bag of powder to get here from the Philippines!

I got my wax on Amazon UK - comes in little pellets.

If you can't get those can you get plain white candles? OZ Cycles has used those before.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been thinking of trying Smoove. It seems like an easier way to wax the chain.

https://road.cc/content/review/229632-s ... chain-lube

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-ch ... you-money/

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Paraffin wax is normally sold in every food store for diy canned food (jam, etc). And same on internet, "paraffin jam" give plenty of result.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kdawg wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 pm
I'm doing the same - waiting on my bag of powder to get here from the Philippines!

I got my wax on Amazon UK - comes in little pellets.

If you can't get those can you get plain white candles? OZ Cycles has used those before.

Candlewax is often not pure paraffin. I’d caution against buying candles unless you are absolutely sure it is pure paraffin.

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:13 pm
I've been thinking of trying Smoove. It seems like an easier way to wax the chain.

https://road.cc/content/review/229632-s ... chain-lube

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-ch ... you-money/

Smoove is messier than Squirt is messier than paraffin. Emulsified was drip lubes don’t fully solidify (they stay “plastic.”) As a result they attract dirt/grime and will leave black gummy residue on all drivetrain components. The good news is that residue easily washes off with warm water.

Also regarding the last point, this means wax drip lubes aren’t great in wet climates unless you plan on reliving everything 100km.

kdawg

by kdawg

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Candlewax is often not pure paraffin. I’d caution against buying candles unless you are absolutely sure it is pure paraffin.
I wondered about that - but I think plain white unscented ones will be just paraffin - not sure how you tell though without the ingredients being labelled.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

perwjensen

by perwjensen

MaxPower wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:02 am
Hey

I would like to try waxing chains, but after multiple days of Google searches and disappointment multiple times, its really hard to find a molten speed wax supplier in Europe, preferable in denmark (were i am). Shops i found in Europe who have molten speed wax don't ship to DK. Food grade paraffin wax as a alternative is also almost impossible to find in DK/with shipment to dk.

Anyone - were do you buy mspeedwax or food grade paraffin wax (preferable from a Danish shop).

my son is going back to Copenhagen, Denmark from US in two days. I have a large bag he can bring, if you can respond by tomorrow.

Per

MaxPower

by MaxPower

perwjensen wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:37 pm
MaxPower wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:02 am
Hey

my son is going back to Copenhagen, Denmark from US in two days. I have a large bag he can bring, if you can respond by tomorrow.

Per
Thank you for the offer - i send a private message :-)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I just switched to wax after watching this video. I love it. I have some PTFE on order so right now I'm using 100% pure paraffin. I bought some paraffin with a higher melting temp. Higher melting point means less oil, and oil attracts dirt. The PTFE is supposedly making the wax last a bit longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr9znwpwmQ&t=1319s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaxPower

by MaxPower

i have used squirt for a long time - but I´m at the end of the "upgrade my bike" road - and i only have room (and wifey approval) for one super expensive bike (... it has been made clear to me, that "one bike" is "one bike" - without graduation of the term) - but thats fine with me. i don´t complain.

So - the waxing thing is mostly my way of trying new stuff that would eat some of my "i need free-space time from life" ... and it is top nerdy and eccentric - so right up my street.