Advice on Di2 9070 rear derailleur non-op

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ylwgto

by ylwgto

I am looking for some help with a di2 issue that has come up. The rear derailleur started not working right before a ride yesterday (and after a spray down of the bike).

First, relevant info:
full 9070 system (no sprint or climbing buttons). under stem junction A (SM-EW90-A), standard internal junction B, internal post battery (BT-DN110). All units have most recent firmware update from the E-Tube software (via SM-BCR2).

within the last month I replaced the following parts with new parts (battery, battery-to-junction B wire, front two EW-SD50 shifter wires and the SM-EW90-A). Had the system shifting well, no issues.

I cleaned bike and tyhe RD was dead, no shifting. When holding shifter X or Y button down I get a green light, then both red and green, then off. Front derailleur shifts perfectly.

-I tried crash mode recovery procedure. No good. I get no light sequence on junction A
-I hooked up to E-tube on my PC with SM-BCR2 and the RD is not recognized. All other connections ok. I manually checked all plugs across bike. no loose connections, rechecked on E-tube. Still no RD.
-I bypassed the internal RD wire with a brand new extra wire externally from the RD to junction B (to rule out bad wire). Still not recognized.
-Swapped FD and RD wires at junction B. FD still good, RD still bad.
-Also tried a known functioning junction B from a friends bike. Same issues.

here is firmware currently instaled:
battery - 4.4.4
junction A - 3.0.4
FD - 3.0.0
Shifters - 3.1.0
RD - ???

It seems like everything forward of the RD is OK. I do not have the fancier reader for E-tube. What are my options getting the RD recognized and updated with the most recent firmware? Is this related to the synchro shift update possibly? is the RD fried (sure hope not)? Strangely, everything was working great until after I washed the bike.

Any other options? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and lmk if more info is needed. I hate to spend $ at a shop for them to tell me my RD is dead (would rather put that $ toward a new RD...).

anyone in NYC are with the expensive etube interface willing to help out?

Thanks!

by Weenie

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Plug e-tube directly into rear derailleur and check for errors. You can update and error-check components individually.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

ylwgto

by ylwgto

can that be done with the SM-BCR2? I don't have the more expensive PC E-tube interface...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

ylwgto wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:03 am
can that be done with the SM-BCR2? I don't have the more expensive PC E-tube interface...
oops......... no. Sorry.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A friend had a similar issue with his 9070 rd and it's been a nightmare. Ended with him buying a new r8050 derailleur.

The derailleur was buzzing. After swapping out the motor it worked again.

Then it stopped working a few weeks later. Water had come inside the electricals and it never worked right again afterwards. Intermittently working, the technitian claims it worked flawless on his newer bikes but it never worked right on the bike we had. A new derailleur worked flawless.

Everything was updated with the BCR2.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

What you talk about is the already mythical Di2 potentiometer noise, Alcatraz. It causes multiple problems, from dead batteries to dead derailleurs

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

PrimO

by PrimO

You sprayed down your bike (with water presumably) and then the RD stopped working.

Water/liquid got into the RD and fried the circuitry. Buy a new RD and move on.

Rudi

by Rudi

Unfortunately I think you just need a new RD.

The steps you have already taken pretty much rule out anything else.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

ylwgto

by ylwgto

Bummer...but thanks. At least I got one ride out of it.

I washed the bike with a wet cloth and dried, no spray or pressure at all. Hard to believe that fried the RD!
This is my first foray into Di2, are they that sensitive to water infiltration? How can one have any confidence riding in the rain?

Are there any tutorials on RD disassembly and inspection? I've no issues with disecting the RD to have a looksie at the electronics inside.

Anyone got a 9070 RD for sale?

TheRich

by TheRich

ylwgto wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:47 pm

I washed the bike with a wet cloth and dried, no spray or pressure at all. Hard to believe that fried the RD!
This is my first foray into Di2, are they that sensitive to water infiltration? How can one have any confidence riding in the rain?

Are there any tutorials on RD disassembly and inspection? I've no issues with disecting the RD to have a looksie at the electronics inside.

It's not sensitive to water at all, normally.

My RD is on its second bike, the entire system is original except the battery, and never had a non-self induced problem (not charging the battery or maladjusted derailleur). It doesn't see much rain but always washed with a hose.

You just got a bad part, warranty it.

Maddie

by Maddie

My di2 derailleurs see a lot of abuse. Rain, high pressure wash, cyclocross races. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them at all. Also think you just got a lemon...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Maddie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:49 pm
My di2 derailleurs see a lot of abuse. Rain, high pressure wash, cyclocross races. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them at all. Also think you just got a lemon...
This is it. I have a six year old 9070 RD on its fourth bike and it's seen countless washes with water and soap and it works just great. Warranty your's.

ylwgto

by ylwgto

unfortunatley I cannot warranty, I am not the original owner.

Will reprogram shifters tonight on etube to see if left shifter can move the RD and meeting a local rider tomorrow to test my RD function from his bike shifter wire and vice versa.

we'll see. thanks for the feedback all.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TheRich wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:21 pm
ylwgto wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:47 pm

It's not sensitive to water at all, normally.

My RD is on its second bike, the entire system is original except the battery, and never had a non-self induced problem (not charging the battery or maladjusted derailleur). It doesn't see much rain but always washed with a hose.

You just got a bad part, warranty it.
I'll add to this that my Ultegra 6870 is on it's 3rd bike with all of the original cables and parts. It has acumulated probably 25,000 miles in all conditions except snow (including gravel and MTB trails). It has been ridden through axle deep puddles, subjected to hoses, rain and mud and has been rock solid. The only issue I've had due to the elements is water ingress into some homemade sprint buttons that caused some mis-shifts.

I did have an eTube cable come loose in my right shifter, which caused some panic on the MTB trails last week causing the RD to be completely unresponsive. That was diagnosed on the trail with my phone when I didn't see the shifter listed as connected in the app. I'd just check and make sure the right shifter is being seen, and do like you're doing re-mapping the buttons. If that doesn't get it, maybe you got a dud.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TheRich

by TheRich

ylwgto wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:45 pm
unfortunatley I cannot warranty, I am not the original owner.

Will reprogram shifters tonight on etube to see if left shifter can move the RD and meeting a local rider tomorrow to test my RD function from his bike shifter wire and vice versa.

we'll see. thanks for the feedback all.
You can still give it a shot. Part of being a (brand) dealer is dealing with all sorts of warranty claims, and it's only a few minutes of work for the shop.

by Weenie