Brakes: Duraace R9100 clearance for 30mm OD rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shpox

by Shpox

Hi guys, a question for those that might own the 9100 brakes.

Shimano states that maximum rim width should be: 20.8 - 28 mm with a maximum tire size 28C
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... R9100.html

I have no expirience with these brakes but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to fit a 30mm OD Rim on these brakes any if there's room for adjustment.
For comparsion, Cane Creek state EE brakes can do 19mm to 28mm. :smartass:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Rim brake clearance is largely determined by the fork and frame, not the brakes themselves. I have 9100 rim brakes and can clear 32mm tires with 4mm room on each side. But my fork has a very long CTA which means the brake’s mounting studs are further away from the front wheel’s axle. The same brake on a different fork from mine such as an Enve fork will have much less clearance due to the fork’s short CTA. You need to specify your fork and frame and see if others with the same fork/frame and brakes can offer actual clearance measurements. Generally Trek bikes with rim brakes will have the most tire clearance while Colnago bikes have the least. Other bikes will fall somewhere in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shpox

by Shpox

That's super interesting. I am looking at a Rim Brake TCR Advanced SL (2020) which is principially the same as the latest generations running a a LB Rim. This Rim measures 23mm internally and 30mm externally which is my main concern. I'll be running 25mm GP5000 which I anticipate will balloon to 28mm on this Rim. My concern is is the actual rim width will cause issues with it's relationship to the fork.

enjo108

by enjo108

Did you ever find the answer regarding the R9100 brakes and 30mm external rims on the TCR? I have the exact same question!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Shpox wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:05 pm
That's super interesting. I am looking at a Rim Brake TCR Advanced SL (2020) which is principially the same as the latest generations running a a LB Rim. This Rim measures 23mm internally and 30mm externally which is my main concern. I'll be running 25mm GP5000 which I anticipate will balloon to 28mm on this Rim. My concern is is the actual rim width will cause issues with it's relationship to the fork.

I don't get why they design a rim this wide for rim brake framesets. It's really pushing things so far it would atleast make me stay off.
Well, each to his own i guess :noidea:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

SilverSteve

by SilverSteve

Not sure if this helps but I have a MY2016 TCR with Dura ace 9000 brakes and Light bicycle AR46 rims.
Shimano says the maximuum rim width (with carbon pads) is 19-28 mm. The AR46 rims are 28mm wide externally.
The biggest issue is the distance between the brake pad and rim braking surface. I was unable to fit brand new pads in the alloted space. Instead I used older pads with about 60% life left on them and it works.
The AR56 rims could fit but you will have to grind down the pads quite a bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Use Swissstop pads that has "Evo" in the name, such as swisstop black price flash evo. Those are thinner than normal brake pads.