Ceramicspeed R9100/R8000 ospw - Vanity Buy and feedback wanted

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
MaxPower

by MaxPower

Hey
Disclaimer from the start: I know it is a complete vanity buy, but i like how they look, i like that they are made in Denmark (were i live, and i like to support companies in little DK). Other opions have no interest. I see them like Bling and a necklace or other jewlery - the "watt savings" are irrelevant - as i said - Vanity Buy for myself. Yes - its overpriced, yes - some think it is butt ugly, yes - some say only dentists who drive prosche buy them. I have one bike, one only, and i like nice stuff if i can affort it with money i have safed for nothing else than vanity and lunacy (which this pretty much is, like so much other high end bike stuff).

BUT - google is not helpfull in finding feedback on r9100/r8000 versions (more about older versions or lunatic ravings of "it´s like flying!").

What i would like to here feedback about is:
- is there "high risk" of cage damage? (heard stories of mishaps on bumby roads and chain wedged itself between cage and lower pulley, destroying the cage)
- heard stories about "cage flex" - any input?
- is shifting compromised for YOU?
- Does the chain rub the lower cage when being in the outer cassette positions on your bike?
- problems with chainslap on other setting than high spring tension?

Please - keep it clean.
Please - stay on topic (no, 3D printed titanium ospw is not what i´m after... i´m a lunatic, but not that crazy)
Please - i know i´m a lunatic... But what is life without a sprinkel of vanity and lunacy?

(Edit: one extra question)

Attermann

by Attermann

If you have the long cage R8000/R9100 you can just fit 12t-16t pulleys on the cage instead, loads of room for it

Renault78law

by Renault78law

You should just do it, life is short. You're making a fun decision with eyes wide open, nothing to be ashamed about. Enjoy!

Kazyole

by Kazyole

I have them for my Di2 9150. At least a year in I have no complaints. No appreciable difference in shifting, no chain rub or slap, and I haven't encountered any situations where I've damaged the cage, but then again I don't ride on particularly crappy roads.

My first ride with them I thought I could notice a difference. But that may well have just been the fresh chain. It's a vanity buy for sure, but you know that going in. If you have the money for it and like the look, go for it.

kode54

by kode54

i just swapped out OEM pulleys to oversized if aesthetics is a concern. On the plus side, shifting seems a bit more positive and cleaner...less sloppy on a Di2 DA9150 RD.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I ran one is my SRAM Red days.. it allowed me to use a 32t cassette so I was happy.. I could only use a 30T with the stock cage.

I was happy with the performance of the OSPW.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I have one on my 9150 Di2 running the Ultegra 11x32 cassette and it works well. No difference from stock that I can feel in shifting perf. I am not sure if there is 1-2 watt savings but I do like the look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I agree, just do it if you want
Some hickup ideas just refuse to go away aka need to be made :mrgreen:

Off topic, but.... you gained 100% :beerchug: in my book, not coming up with silly excuses as many do.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

MaxPower

by MaxPower

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:44 am
I agree, just do it if you want
Some hickup ideas just refuse to go away aka need to be made :mrgreen:

Off topic, but.... you gained 100% :beerchug: in my book, not coming up with silly excuses as many do.
:beerchug:

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Thanks for the replies!

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Kazyole wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:21 pm
I have them for my Di2 9150. At least a year in I have no complaints. No appreciable difference in shifting, no chain rub or slap, and I haven't encountered any situations where I've damaged the cage, but then again I don't ride on particularly crappy roads.

My first ride with them I thought I could notice a difference. But that may well have just been the fresh chain. It's a vanity buy for sure, but you know that going in. If you have the money for it and like the look, go for it.
What spring tension do you run the cage?

MaxPower

by MaxPower

jj911c2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:39 am
I have one on my 9150 Di2 running the Ultegra 11x32 cassette and it works well. No difference from stock that I can feel in shifting perf. I am not sure if there is 1-2 watt savings but I do like the look.

What tension do you run the cage with?

Kazyole

by Kazyole

MaxPower wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:05 pm
Kazyole wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:21 pm

What spring tension do you run the cage?

Second lowest, per ceramicspeed:

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/3731 ... _final.pdf

jj911c2

by jj911c2

2nd lowest spring tension for me as well.

MaxPower

by MaxPower