Look vs shimano pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

SandwichNP wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:49 pm
alcatraz wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:19 pm
Check out the xpedo 07 pedals on aliexpress. Serviceable, cheap and light. Look-based.
https://www.starbike.com/en/xpedo-clipl ... xs-pedals/

these guys?

It does look like you can get 105s on ebay for around $60-75. That plus some blue cleats sounds pretty good to me...
Those are different xpedo pedals. Most other are expensive. The 07 ones weigh 235gr and they are much cheaper. I bought mine for 20 usd but I live in China.

smokva

by smokva

I have been on Look Keo since they were release in 2004...so good 18 years. I went through 3 original Keo Classicic pedals, one Keo 2 MAX and one Keo Classic 3.
The problem I always had with them is that sooner or later they would develope play. Once it happens, more or less they are toasted.
Original Keo Classic pedals lasted for some time, but new Keo 2 Max and Classic 3 are really bogous.
Looking at Shimano pedals, I concluded that they are more servicable and easier to adjust because of cup and cone bearings that hey have.
So, after 18 years I desided to put Shimano Dura-Ace 9100 SPD-SL pedals.

Here are my findings:
- LOOK pedals look better
- walking is much easier with SPD-SL
- I like smaller float of blue SPD-SL cleat better than Keo grey (don't want 0)
- clipping in is very similar, i would say no difference
- unclipping is better on look, they produce better sound
- pedal durability and maintenance are on Shimano's side
- cleat longetivity is better with shimano (s

So, after 20 years of stubbornes and living with look I gave a chance to Shimano and haven't regreted. All things thate are important to me are better on Shimano, Look only looks better and produces better sound when clipping out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

smokva wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:26 pm
I have been on Look Keo since they were release in 2004...so good 18 years. I went through 3 original Keo Classicic pedals, one Keo 2 MAX and one Keo Classic 3.
The problem I always had with them is that sooner or later they would develope play. Once it happens, more or less they are toasted.
Original Keo Classic pedals lasted for some time, but new Keo 2 Max and Classic 3 are really bogous.
Looking at Shimano pedals, I concluded that they are more servicable and easier to adjust because of cup and cone bearings that hey have.
So, after 18 years I desided to put Shimano Dura-Ace 9100 SPD-SL pedals.

Here are my findings:
- LOOK pedals look better
- walking is much easier with SPD-SL
- I like smaller float of blue SPD-SL cleat better than Keo grey (don't want 0)
- clipping in is very similar, i would say no difference
- unclipping is better on look, they produce better sound
- pedal durability and maintenance are on Shimano's side
- cleat longetivity is better with shimano (s

So, after 20 years of stubbornes and living with look I gave a chance to Shimano and haven't regreted. All things thate are important to me are better on Shimano, Look only looks better and produces better sound when clipping out.
Thx for sharing :) Great for folks like me who are new to road SPD and have a hard time deciding beween the two of them :)

The keo carbon Ti at 190g is tempting, but Dura ace 234g with Ti axles should be just above 200g which sounds like the perfect deal for me including all the pro's in advantage of Shimano

smokva

by smokva

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 pm
The keo carbon Ti at 190g is tempting, but Dura ace 234g with Ti axles should be just above 200g which sounds like the perfect deal for me including all the pro's in advantage of Shimano
I wouldn't put Ti axle on Shimano pedal. Titanium is not good material for bearing races. in pedals, Shimano uses angular bearings where balls ar directly on the axle...axle is bearing race. Look has cartridge bearings so titanium shaft there doesn't act as a bearing race.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I have both Look Keo Blade TI Ceramic and Shimano DA-9100 SPD-SL on two different bikes. I personally prefer the Shimano as I feel like I'm able to get clipped in the first time more consistently. I seem to have to "hunt" for the proper clip-in position more frequently with the Look pedals.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

spud

by spud

smokva wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:45 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 pm
I wouldn't put Ti axle on Shimano pedal. Titanium is not good material for bearing races. in pedals, Shimano uses angular bearings where balls ar directly on the axle...axle is bearing race. Look has cartridge bearings so titanium shaft there doesn't act as a bearing race.
Correct. Even if you can find titanium spindles for the SPDs, don't do it, you will just make an unreliable and troublesome pedal out of it, for the savings of a few grams. You'll notice all the drawbacks far more than the weight savings.