Look vs shimano pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

I am in need of some new pedals, and Look and shimano are my top choices. I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but my searches didn't turn up anything and there aren't any good resources available via google. I have Time RXS pedals now and they have cracked twice...I want to abandon them ASAP.

I typically don't like a lot of float...I tried Times on my MTB but hated them- I like the positive snap of an SPD, at least on dirt. I haven't tried anything else on road besides my Times, so I am drawn to Shimanos, but looks seem to be as ubiquitous and available online...two good things. Any input or resources you can steer me toward to do some more research? I'd be looking at the Keo 2 Max /max carbon and the 105 5800 or 7000, depending on spendiness. Weight isn't the most critical factor- reliability and positive retention are my top two items.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I didn't realise how good look pedals were until I tried other systems. Look cleats last a looong time and you have all float options, and they are cheap if you get copies.

I'm on time xpresso for the weight loss but I prefer look. Time cleats wear fast and don't feel as secure but I have made them work adequately, plus fake cleats cost nothing here in China.

I haven't tried spd-sl but the cleats remind me of time xpresso and those don't last long.

Oh I almost forgot. Walking on look cleats is easier than on time/shimano.

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

I've also been using Look Pedals for the last 10 years. They are the best there is. I started with the Keo 2 Max, Then had the Keo Blade Ti, Then the newest Keo Blade Ti.

I use the 0 degree float pedals.

If you like the positive snap, you'll love the "pop" of Look Keo Blade pedals. Get the one (regular, carbon, carbon w/ Ti spindle) that fits your price range. they all function identical, just lighter. Theres also different torques that you can choose for the Keo Blade.

My feedback for Shimano Pedals: They all work and work reliably, just not sexy, not the lightest per price, cleats are wide and ugly and pedals aren't as good looking as Look,
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

jkonst

by jkonst

For what it's worth, I can't tell the difference between the two. I've gone back and forth between Look Keo and SPD-SL over the past year, and can say with confidence that if you swapped my cleats and pedals, I wouldn't know it. I haven't noticed a difference walking, and clipping in and out feels the same.

Not to say others aren't more discerning, but that's my experience. I'm going to move more permanently to Look because I've now picked up a pair of Favero Assioma pedals, but would be just as happy if they were Shimano cleat compatible.

spud

by spud

Shimano, all day, every day. Walking on them doesn't wear the mating surface, so the engagement stays tight for a long time. No squeeks, ever. No bearing problems, ever. No revisions in the cleats to address issues, so no multiple versions of the cleats, beyond angular float options - they designed the cleats/pedals correctly, the first time. Not so sexy, but who gives a shit with performance like that?

RussellS

by RussellS

I started on Shimano SPD-SL cleats, pedals about 23 years ago. I don't recall ever replacing a cleat. Or pedal. My only maintenance on the pedals is greasing the axle when I take them out of the crank. I like parts that require zero thought and work perfectly for 20+ years.

Miller

by Miller

If you go with Keo make sure to get the grip cleats. The non-grip cleats are scary slippy to walk in.

alanyu

by alanyu

If you go with keo, exustar and xpedo both have superlight pedals but cost less. The quality is on par with look.

tomycs

by tomycs

Used both systems, Shimano Spd-sl and Look (bcs of Assiomas). They are almost identical as far as the pedalling experience goes once you've found your position. I found Shimano cleats to last a while longer, but not by a huge amount. Both easy to service and with wide-spread use.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

spud wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:40 pm
Shimano, all day, every day. Walking on them doesn't wear the mating surface, so the engagement stays tight for a long time. No squeeks, ever. No bearing problems, ever. No revisions in the cleats to address issues, so no multiple versions of the cleats, beyond angular float options - they designed the cleats/pedals correctly, the first time. Not so sexy, but who gives a shit with performance like that?
Spot on. The SPD-SL design has remained unchanged since it was introduced in late 2002. That says something - Shimano got it right.

I used Looks (and Time Equipes) before the spd-sl pedals were released and I never had a set with good bearings in them. And I have never understood how the curved surface of the Look cleats (original delta that is) was supposed to mate well with the flat surface of the pedals.

yinya

by yinya

I was on Look for 15 yrs but as a bigger guy after the Blades came out I started getting durability issues. Switched to Shimano Dura Ace. While I cannot feel the difference, for now the vote is for Shimano for durability. And I prefer their version of the cleat cover for walking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I haven't tried the Keo Max, but I can tell the difference in the width of the platform between the Shimano and normal Keo, and I like the Shimano better. I'll also second what others have said about walking and wear on the Shimano cleat, but again, I haven't tried the Keo cleats with the rubber surface on the bottom.

That being said, I very much prefer Speedplay Zero at this point with walkable cleats. Yes, they are more high maintenance, but the platform feels just as stable as the Shimano, it's easier to adjust your heel angle and you can dial in any range of float you want. Additionaly, the walkable cleats are very easy to walk in compared to Shimano or Look. Even the old metal plate cleats with the 3rd party covers are better for walking in my experience.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

RussellS wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:00 pm
I started on Shimano SPD-SL cleats, pedals about 23 years ago. I don't recall ever replacing a cleat. Or pedal. My only maintenance on the pedals is greasing the axle when I take them out of the crank. I like parts that require zero thought and work perfectly for 20+ years.
Do you mean SPD-R? SPD-SL didn't come out until the early 2000's.

As for which one is better, tough call. I switched from 'blade' Keo's to DA about 6or 7 years ago and really like how there is no noticeable movement in the cleat when pulling back on the pedal stroke. And the blue Dura-Ace cleats are the bomb!!!

integration

by integration

+1 for Shimano Dura-Ace. Switched from Speedplay to Dura-Ace as the platform felt more connected, locked in. The durability and virtual maintenance-less-ness is an additoomal great benefit too.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

9100 for sure. Wider platform, lower stack height, bearings that are unmatched. Your float is dependent on cleat purchase. I had used yellow for a few years but have been on blue for the last 2. Yellow feels like too much float for my liking. Blue is perfect. Look pedals have durability and bearing/bushing problems.
Never cheer before you know who is winning