SRAM Red 22 Hydro shifters: swap out rim brake calipers to disc calipers

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Eleven21

by Eleven21

Just wanted to double check... I have a set of SRAM Red 22 hydraulic rim caliper brakes (mechanical) and I'd planned to swap out the rim brake calipers to disc brake calipers (using the Hope RX4 calipers). I've done a little reading on this earlier in the year and from what I could tell the shifters will work with the SRAM hydraulic disc calipers.

I think i'm correct in saying they'l also work with the Hope RX4's ?

Any input would be appreciated.

motorapido

by motorapido

Hi, i can confirm that the shifters are the same for rim and disc HydroR brakes.
the only downside is the spare hose assemblies aren't cheap, and unless you have access to a crimp machine then you have to buy the Sram ones as the elbow banjo that fits to the shifter is bespoke to these brakes.
I've even gone one further on a mix up of systems, Picked up a set of new HydroR rim brake units and converted them to disc with new hose assemblies and some Formula R1 callipers i had. been running then for about 3 years nw on my cross bike with no issues.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I bought a hydro rim kit to upgrade my 10sp to 11sp disc. No issues.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Thanks for the speedy response.

So if I were to fit the Hope RX4 calipers I think I'm correct in saying I'd need x2 SRAM hose kits?

Sorry I'm quite new to the whole disc thing and still learning.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You can run any hose (Jag or Sram) and the Sram shifter end. You need to run the Olive for the hose and the hardware for the caliper. Make sure Hope is DOT 5 compatible and is looking for a 17-18mm master cylinder and *not sure* what travel.

motorapido

by motorapido

I didn't realise that Jag did a kit as well, either way yes you will need 2 hose kits, unless your rear rim brake hose is long enough that you can reuse the hose as the disc brake front,

i think there are 2 version of the RX4 calliper one for DOT 5 brake fluid and the other for Mineral oil (shimano) systems. you can't mix them or it will wreck the seals.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Okay, so it according to the site

https://www.hopetech.com/products/brake ... iper/#tech

... the RX4-SR model is for DOT fluid. Image

Eleven21

by Eleven21

motorapido wrote:I didn't realise that Jag did a kit as well, either way yes you will need 2 hose kits, unless your rear rim brake hose is long enough that you can reuse the hose as the disc brake front,
Excellent. So just need to pick up one hose kit. I’m hoping to get all parts before Xmas so can build over the holiday period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Hose kit, ends/olives, dot fluid, and flush kit if you don't have it. Cut the hoses with your regular cable cutter.

Don't get DOT goo on anything (bar tape for example. Mostly bleed from the bottom up.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I have Hope RX4 SRAM-compatible calipers front and rear on a bike running Red eTap hydraulic levers. They work without any problem, and the lever travel and feel is essentially identical to that on another bike where I have the full SRAM levers plus calipers. The Hope calipers come with a barb and olive, but as your existing hoses will be too short, you'll need replacement hoses with the SRAM fitting for the lever.

Note that unlike most flat mount calipers, the RX4 front and rear calipers are different. The front calipers fit directly on the fork and don't use the adapter plate that most flat mount calipers do.