Enve zero offset seatpost actual setback 5mm?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

I've read in a few forum posts online that people mentioned Enve zero offset seatpost has an actual setback of 5mm. Can someone confirm this is true for the newer 2-bolt version of Enve zero offset? Alternatively, how should one go about measuring the setback on a seatpost so I'll try to find one of these and measure myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

Looking at a pic you are probably correct, the guts are slightly set back from the centre line of the post. 5mm seems about accurate.

DaveS

by DaveS

Why would 5mm make a difference? Another major factor is the length of the seat rail clamp. A long clamp length can have a greater impact than 5mm of set back, limiting the maximum amount that the saddle can be pushed forward or back. The pictures look like the clamp length is quite short.
Last edited by DaveS on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Setback doesn't always provide the total picture for saddle positioning though. You also have to consider the front to rear distance for the actual clamping mechanism as that is what allows a saddle to move a fixed distance in the clamp. So for example a zero offpost that has a clamping mech that is 45mm front to back may actually have more offset than a 5mm offset post that has a front to back measurement of 30mm. That's because you have more adjustment range on the post with the smaller front to back measurement.

biwa

by biwa

madcow wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 pm
So for example a zero offpost that has a clamping mech that is 45mm front to back may actually have more offset than a 5mm offset post that has a front to back measurement of 30mm. That's because you have more adjustment range on the post with the smaller front to back measurement.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but don't you mean a zero offset post that has a shorter clamping mech of 30mm front to back may actually have more offset than a 5mm offset post that has a clamping mech of 45mm front to back?

In the case of Enve zero offset post, from pics its clamping mech looks relatively short, but hard to tell if there is an offset between the centerline of the post and the center of the clamping mech just from pics.