Light road disc frame with fender mounts?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Eleven21

by Eleven21

As per title really. I’ve had my eye on a bowman pilgrims disc frame for my wife but have just missed out on the last one they had in stock in a size 50cm Image.

She’s only 5’ 3” so finding frames that don’t have funky HT angles can be a challenge.

The bowman was a butted aluminium frame, room for 30mm tyres and fenders. Basically in between a road and cycle-cross bike that would have been perfect as her 4 seasons rig. Currently she’s riding a bowman palace fitted with Giant close clearance fenders. After pretty much every single ride the bike is covered top to bottom in crud as the fenders don’t actually work. With a 23mm tyre there’s only 3-5mm between the tyre and fender and I often find we have to stop during our rides to clear mud from the inside of the guard. In short its a bit of a compromise and Ive promised her we’ll find something more suitable.

So now the bowman pilgrims is not an option I could really do with some leads. I found the Trek check point. Wondered if that could work? I’m thinking a custom Seven Axiom SL but she’s not keen on me spending that sort of cash.

The wish list is; a lightweight road rig built around 700c tyres larger than 25mm plus real room for fenders. Flat mount discs. Ideally a carbon fork. Would prefer a metal frame. A top tube no longer than 51.5cm (52cm at a real push depending on seat and head tube angles).

Any leads or ideas would be very much appreciated.
Last edited by Eleven21 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Kinesis 4S Disc?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Broady

by Broady

The new Bowman Palace disc or the Weald? Not sure regarding the size issue...

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Broady wrote:The new Bowman Palace disc or the Weald? Not sure regarding the size issue...
Yes, had thought about that but they’re not available until March 2020. Was wondering if there’s anything else out there. Thanks for the tip; the Kinesis looks ‘okay-ish’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by Eleven21 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

The smallest Kinesis 4s disc with a top tube length of 51cm has a head tube angle of 69 degrees with a fork rake of 45mm

Eleven21

by Eleven21

I do wonder if companies are overly concerned with ensuring their frames have little to no toe overlap (especially so on smaller frames). The upshot of which is that they compromise the handling characteristics of the smaller frames in an attempt to increase the front centre measurement.

I mean seriously...

Toe overlap who cares. It’s no big deal.

emotive

by emotive

Mason Definition (Al)
Mason Resolution (Steel)
Mason Bokeh (Al)
Cannondale Topstone (Al)
Focus Paralane (AL)
Giant Contend (Al)

mag

by mag

Re Bowman Pilgrims Disc: Are you sure they don't have any 50cm ones? Cause they seem to have some on clearance: https://bowman-cycles.com/collections/c ... -50cm-teal

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Cinelli semper. 25mm tires and fenders.

With These winter frames you'd hope not to be using unless necessary. So I'd always be thinking not too spendy is best. Bowman price of £845 for alu frame is insane.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

mag wrote:Re Bowman Pilgrims Disc: Are you sure they don't have any 50cm ones? Cause they seem to have some on clearance: https://bowman-cycles.com/collections/c ... -50cm-teal
Thanks - didn’t spot it had been moved to that section.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

mr_tim wrote:Cinelli semper. 25mm tires and fenders.

With These winter frames you'd hope not to be using unless necessary. So I'd always be thinking not too spendy is best. Bowman price of £845 for alu frame is insane.
The thing is IMO life’s too short to be riding bad bikes. I want my winter bikes to be as nice riding as my summer one and FWIW I give our winter bikes a thorough wash ‘pretty much‘ every week. I’ll be up early morning tomorrow to wash both of them as it was really wet and muddy on the roads today.

When I don’t get to wash them straight after the ride I’ll give the frame and chain a wipe down down and then put more lube on the chain to help prevent any rust taking hold until I can give them a proper clean.
Last edited by Eleven21 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

The Cinelli semper you’ve mentioned looks as though could have been a good substitute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jere

by Jere

Hi
Cervelo C5 48 cm
JB

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Cannondale Felt and Specialized makes 44-46 frames now

by Weenie

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Jere wrote:Hi
Cervelo C5 48 cm
JB
This one could definitely work (and the fork has a sensible offset)