My best bike cleaning idea

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
edwardk

by edwardk

A folding plastic dog/toddler pool or bath. It's just the thing for cleaning the drivetrain without fouling the driveway. I found that I needed the large size of the brand I chose (43" x 27", or 109cm x 69cm), to leave room to turn the pedals and to keep any junk coming off the cranks inside the plastic container. It folds up to a very small size - about 24 inches long by about 4 inches deep.
IMG_2357.jpg
Edward
Last edited by edwardk on Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

edwardk wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:49 pm
A folding plastic dog/toddler pool or bath. It's just the thing for cleaning the drivetrain without fouling the driveway. I found that I needed the large size of the brand I chose (43" x 27", or 109cm x 69cm), to leave room to turn the pedals and to keep any junk coming off the cranks inside the plastic container. It folds up to a very small size - 43 inches long by about 4 inches deep.

Edward
Ok, but why would your driveway get fouled? Do you use oil based lubes? If so, maybe try smoove or wax - rinsing a chain with that one with some (soapy) water does not foul anything.

by Weenie

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:27 am
edwardk wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:49 pm
A folding plastic dog/toddler pool or bath. It's just the thing for cleaning the drivetrain without fouling the driveway. I found that I needed the large size of the brand I chose (43" x 27", or 109cm x 69cm), to leave room to turn the pedals and to keep any junk coming off the cranks inside the plastic container. It folds up to a very small size - 43 inches long by about 4 inches deep.

Edward
Ok, but why would your driveway get fouled? Do you use oil based lubes? If so, maybe try smoove or wax - rinsing a chain with that one with some (soapy) water does not foul anything.
I can second that. Using wax on the chain makes the cleanup of the bike a whole lot easier. I find that my bike simply doesn't get as dirty as it did when I used wet chain lubes.

robertbb

by robertbb

I just got back from my first ever wet/raining ride since I started waxing my chain. The thing is so damn clean it isn't even funny.

The rest of the bike is filthy... I'm tempted to dip my entire bike in wax tbqh... :lol:

Thomas321

by Thomas321

Which wax would you guys reccommend?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Thomas321 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:16 pm
Which wax would you guys reccommend?
I would vote for Molten Speed Wax. It's premixed with the optimum ingredients and it's easy. I tried plain white parafin and for some reason it wasn't as good. It was quite gloopy and shed a lot of wax bits. MSW, even though it's probably 98-99% parafin wax, doesn't do that as much, in my experience.

kode54

by kode54

In the winter, I drop 1-2 tbspn of paraffin oil with the molten speed wax. Makes it less flaky. I use less for summer due to temperatures
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

froze

by froze

Sure I put my bike right into the shower inside the house...

Washing a bike is not complicated. I use Dawn For Dishes, not the citrus stuff, it removes oil without streaking the paint. I start by scrubbing the chain and gears first till the sponge runs clean, I also use a gear brush; while some will want to use a degreaser but I found that Dawn works just as well as a degreaser, the reason not to use the citrus version of Dawn is because citrus is a acid and that acid is not good for aluminium parts and any type of metal except stainless steel.

Once I'm done with the chain and gears I put in clean water and Dawn For Dishes again into a bucket and use a sponge to clean the bike from top to bottom.

Sometimes I use Fantastik spray cleaner (I use to use 409 but the company has watered down that product where now it's almost useless) to clean the saddle, bar tape and hoods, if I do that then I do the saddle, hoods and bar tape first then wash the bike to get the Fantastik cleaner off.

I then rinse the soap up with a very gentle spray from the garden hose.

Then I dry the bike with a microfiber towel.

Of course after the chain and gears have dried I relube.

I do my cleaning on the driveway, there is no harmful oil used on bikes these days, and even if there was it's such a minute amount it wouldn't matter.

PSM

by PSM

Could you lend me a spacer please?! ;)

by Weenie