Light frame with "classic" looks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

claus

by claus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:47 pm
You cant have <800g weight, thin tubes, strength and stiffness all at the same time. Youre going to need to sacrifice at least one of those characteristics.
To quote from my original request:
"Stiffness isn't really important for me"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

claus wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:17 pm

To quote from my original request:
"Stiffness isn't really important for me"

Your fantasy bike wouldn’t be “somewhat less stiff,” but “detrimentally flexy.” The DT is where practically all the lateral stiffness in the main triangle comes from.

I agree with the others, go titanium or steel and live with the weight penalty. The frames will be fle...lively, but at least they will also be strong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

haa. one man's flexy is another man's lively.

ETA...ppl already mentioned sarto, parlee, and extralite.

you can /thread now..

joejack951

by joejack951

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:57 am
kgt wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:47 am
BTW you might be interested in watching hambini's latest video where he comments on the myth that threaded BBs are better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZ2wnS5X4s
It seems that manufacturing quality matters here; well made press-fit BBs (like those on Look or TIME frames) are actally better than threaded ones.

My preferential existing BB type is T47 85.5/86.5. The reason why I prefer threaded is because the interference fit surfaces are replaceable, which isn’t the case with any implementation of BB30. PF30 and BB386EVO might be a little better because a softer plastic cup is the sacrificial component in the system, not something more permanent. BB30/PF30 also get points subtracted for being too narrow, so really it comes down to T47 and BB386EVO for me.
Campagnolo PressFit cups for BB30 do basically that, although the real bearing press fit happens on the crank spindle in that system. Even if the frame's press fit ever wore out you could always just bond the cups into the frame and be good for a long time as the cups themselves don't really wear. At least that was my reasoning when I bought a BB30 frame a few years ago.

claus

by claus

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm
How about the new extralite frame @580gr?
The one that has been first mentioned 3 years ago, then was supposed to be available fall 2017, and the website still says "Stay Tuned"?

Is it available somewhere?

It seems to have a rather sloping top tube (to save weight?)

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Slightly off-topic (maybe)
As for top tubes, It's not just the size, but also the shape is important for those of us with a narrow stance who, bump, hug, squeez, the top tube, especially on decents
I prefer flat sides, or round shapes here, as they don't bother my knees
Top tubes with sharper, angular edges can be quite uncomfortable

Canyon Ultimate is very good in this regard
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:47 pm
He just means “old” as in the previous model because the new one is visually quite different.

exactly, thanks for clarifying! :thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

For the record, I just bought a brand new 56cm Fuji SL 1.1 Disc frameset (for $900!) and it comes in at 905g with bottle cage bolts, RD hanger and internal cable routing guides/tubing. Claimed weight is 900g, so right on the money. The fork is 374g with cable routing guide/tubing, so nominally lower than the claimed 390g. I believe the SL 1.1 rim-brake frame is claimed to be 695g. There aren't too many frames lighter than that.

If you can get over the DT diameter, the rim-brake frame can be found for stupidly cheap prices as a consequence of ASE going bankrupt.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

that's pretty dang good. Fujis are underrated.

silvalis

by silvalis

Duratec Phantom?
Chasse patate

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FactoryMatt wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:34 am

To be fair, this particular frameset is almost in a raw finish. It has a few accents and logos in the TIBCO-SVB team colors, but yeah, it's probably missing ~60g worth of paint vs my painted 750g Emonda SLR Disc frame. Not sure if I want to build it up and custom paint it...
Attachments
fuji-sl11.jpg

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:14 am
FactoryMatt wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:34 am

To be fair, this particular frameset is almost in a raw finish. It has a few accents and logos in the TIBCO-SVB team colors, but yeah, it's probably missing ~60g worth of paint vs my painted 750g Emonda SLR Disc frame. Not sure if I want to build it up and custom paint it...
awesome.

i have a seat clamp for it if you're interested.

http://shop.parts-of-passion.ch/SeatClamp-Purist_1

mortirolo

by mortirolo

silvalis wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:53 am
Duratec Phantom?
or AX-lightness VIAL evo
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

claus

by claus

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:29 pm
Find an old Time frame in mint condition. It will be way cheaper than anything new.
Anyone know what's going on with the "Time Frame Racing Bike VXRS Ulteam" from an Italian company on ebay? (I don't want to add a link here -- I'm not sure it's acceptable).
I guess that's "NOS" or is it a fake? However, 2500 EURO is not exactly "cheap".

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Look 785 hues rs? Or a nice steel frame. Steel can be light. I gave one that weighs 1650g. Wet hats light for a big steel frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com