Comparative evaluation of four integrated handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PrimO

by PrimO

I'm interested in The One bar/stem, any idea how someone in Europe would go about buying one???

Edit: Found it on Aliexpress >>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148380733.html

alanyu

by alanyu

romanmoser wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:50 pm
If Canyon don't do
relatively long 110 120 narrow one piece cockpit why would a small brand do it ?
Almost non existent demand
Such a narrow view. Just see how many people here need narrow bar + > 100 mm stem, and how many pros begin to rotate their hoods inside a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Well they ( farsport ) offer narrow handlebar and +100mm stem
and 120

just not extreme 130 and 140

C36

by C36

Dilbert wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:53 pm
Why do we still not have 130mm and 140mm stem options in 380 width? :(

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
+1
Longer than 120mm stem limits availablr options Image
An opinion people do not like to hear... but a 130mm+ stem should not be used in most of the cases. By patching a short frame you compromise the hand position vs the steering by displacing the hand beyond the front axle (most of the time)
I had the opportunity to discuss this topic with few very experienced custom frame manufacturers, but the most interesting one was from a Honda Engineer who designed track bikes frames (125, 250cc and moto2) where he pointed out many bike fittings nonsense (from handling point of view) since the brands reduced the amount of sizes (and many users do not see the geometry as a factor to drop a frame from their short list).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Slammed

by Slammed

C36 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Dilbert wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:

+1
An opinion people do not like to hear... but a 130mm+ stem should not be used in most of the cases. By patching a short frame you compromise the hand position vs the steering by displacing the hand beyond the front axle (most of the time)
I had the opportunity to discuss this topic with few very experienced custom frame manufacturers, but the most interesting one was from a Honda Engineer who designed track bikes frames (125, 250cc and moto2) where he pointed out many bike fittings nonsense (from handling point of view) since the brands reduced the amount of sizes (and many users do not see the geometry as a factor to drop a frame from their short list).

You sound like someone who doesn't ride long stems. The handling is fine if you know how to ride a bike. I exclusively use 130-150mm stems for high level crit racing and there's no problem. I'd rather have slightly more twitchy handling at slow speeds than a bike that doesn't fit.

Slammed

by Slammed

Slammed wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:37 pm
C36 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Dilbert wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:

+1

You sound like someone who doesn't ride long stems. The handling is fine if you know how to ride a bike. I exclusively use 130-150mm stems for high level crit racing and there's no problem. I'd rather have slightly more twitchy handling at slow speeds than a bike that doesn't fit.

C36

by C36

Slammed wrote: You sound like someone who doesn't ride long stems. The handling is fine if you know how to ride a bike. I exclusively use 130-150mm stems for high level crit racing and there's no problem. I'd rather have slightly more twitchy handling at slow speeds than a bike that doesn't fit.
What do you have as comparison element? Saying “I always did like this l, never seen anything wrong” has limited value.

Have you tried two custom frames with same position but changing top tube length and stem length? I have a couple of examples from the late 90s /2000s (when custom was yet a thing) where Cyfac (welding Festina, Delatour and a couple of other pro-frames) did this work and 130mm was the upper limit.

Now a Crits do represent a fairly flat playground, going downhill add the factor of a different weight distribution that will impact handling moving weight to the front part of the bike.

And to answer your question I ride a frame that allow me proper hand placement with a 110mm stem that on top of it allows maximum power output while reducing my frontal area.

Slammed

by Slammed

C36 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:13 pm
Slammed wrote: You sound like someone who doesn't ride long stems. The handling is fine if you know how to ride a bike. I exclusively use 130-150mm stems for high level crit racing and there's no problem. I'd rather have slightly more twitchy handling at slow speeds than a bike that doesn't fit.
What do you have as comparison element? Saying “I always did like this l, never seen anything wrong” has limited value.

Have you tried two custom frames with same position but changing top tube length and stem length? I have a couple of examples from the late 90s /2000s (when custom was yet a thing) where Cyfac (welding Festina, Delatour and a couple of other pro-frames) did this work and 130mm was the upper limit.

Now a Crits do represent a fairly flat playground, going downhill add the factor of a different weight distribution that will impact handling moving weight to the front part of the bike.

And to answer your question I ride a frame that allow me proper hand placement with a 110mm stem that on top of it allows maximum power output while reducing my frontal area.

I used to ride a terpstra edition wilier that had a 59 top tube and 54 seat tube. It had the exact same fit as my current bike but I didn't long the long wheelbase. Long stems handle better when going fast. It's 180 corners and slow speed, sharp bends that give you issues. That being said, I do plenty of crits with hair pins and 180s and it's still fine.

bobo100

by bobo100

What do you think about this integrated handlebar? Brand Yoeleo.
It is available in Europe too.

https://www.yoeleoeurope.com/carbon-roa ... ebars.html

I've seen that they have a lot a of different things but this handlebar looks very promising.

C36

by C36

kiritozhang wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:05 am
380x110 ordered and eta 1-5 jan 2020 Image
Will see if will have importation cost or not Image

Since I am a new user, I cannot reply to you directly through private messages, I can only reply to you in posts.
Farsport has released data comparing ordinary handlebars, but comparing the tests of fairwheelbikes years ago.
Now many handlebars have been updated, and from my point of view, many tests of fairwheelsbike are not standard, which is very different from actual use.
Currently I have purchased dozens of handlebars to be tested, but I will do a small part of the handlebar / stem combination. Because I think a lot of people use different brand handlebar / stem combinations.
So I will separate the stem and handlebar tests, and do only a part of the combination test.
Handlebar / stem combination:
                             FSA K-Force Light Compact / FSA OS99 CSI
                             FSA Energy Compact / FSA ENERGY
                             PRO VIBE CARBON / PRO VIBE AERO
                             PRO VIBE ALLOY / PRO VIBE AERO
                             ZIPP SL70 AERO / ZIPP SPRINT SL
                            ZIPP SL70 ERGO / ZIPP COURSE SL
The handlebars I currently have:
 FSA K-FORCE LIGHT COMPACT, FSA SL-K COMPACT, FSA ENERGY COMPACT, PRO VIBE AERO, PRO VIBE CARBON, PRO VIBE ALLOY, 3T ERGONOVA TEAM, 3T ERGONOVA PRO, 3T SUPERNOVA TEAM, 3T AERONOVA TEAM, ZIPP SL70 AERO, ZIPP SL70 ERGO CARBON, ZIPP COURSE SL70, MCFK, ENVE COMPACT, ENVE SES, DEDA SUPERLEGGRA.
In spring 2020, I will test the handlebars.
I was wondering if you had the opportunity to run the tests you had in mind on the bars and stems?

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

kiritozhang

by kiritozhang

C36 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:17 am
kiritozhang wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:05 am
380x110 ordered and eta 1-5 jan 2020 Image
Will see if will have importation cost or not Image

Since I am a new user, I cannot reply to you directly through private messages, I can only reply to you in posts.
Farsport has released data comparing ordinary handlebars, but comparing the tests of fairwheelbikes years ago.
Now many handlebars have been updated, and from my point of view, many tests of fairwheelsbike are not standard, which is very different from actual use.
Currently I have purchased dozens of handlebars to be tested, but I will do a small part of the handlebar / stem combination. Because I think a lot of people use different brand handlebar / stem combinations.
So I will separate the stem and handlebar tests, and do only a part of the combination test.
Handlebar / stem combination:
                             FSA K-Force Light Compact / FSA OS99 CSI
                             FSA Energy Compact / FSA ENERGY
                             PRO VIBE CARBON / PRO VIBE AERO
                             PRO VIBE ALLOY / PRO VIBE AERO
                             ZIPP SL70 AERO / ZIPP SPRINT SL
                            ZIPP SL70 ERGO / ZIPP COURSE SL
The handlebars I currently have:
 FSA K-FORCE LIGHT COMPACT, FSA SL-K COMPACT, FSA ENERGY COMPACT, PRO VIBE AERO, PRO VIBE CARBON, PRO VIBE ALLOY, 3T ERGONOVA TEAM, 3T ERGONOVA PRO, 3T SUPERNOVA TEAM, 3T AERONOVA TEAM, ZIPP SL70 AERO, ZIPP SL70 ERGO CARBON, ZIPP COURSE SL70, MCFK, ENVE COMPACT, ENVE SES, DEDA SUPERLEGGRA.
In spring 2020, I will test the handlebars.
I was wondering if you had the opportunity to run the tests you had in mind on the bars and stems?

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project
Some tests are currently being conducted

hannawald

by hannawald

Looking forward to test results, especially how the separated bar-stem compares to integrated options..

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

kiritozhang wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:05 am
1.1 Vision Metron 5D
In my opinion, the most famous one is the Vision Metron 5D. It has a very high usage rate in competitions, and many brands of aerodynamic bikes choose to use it.
For example: Bianchi Oltra XR4, Merida Reacto, Orbea Orca Aero, etc.
Vision Metron 5D has a highly recognizable appearance, strong and aerodynamic.
The Vision Metron 5D's shape is the most flat and aggressive of the four products. The computer mount uses a structure fixed under the handle.
The Stem can house Shimano Di2 controllers and adjustable-length computer mounts. Complete integration of accessories is extremely high.
But I have seen the storage structure of the Shimano Di2 controller break.
The bottom shows the specifications and torque values of the handlebars. The handlebar width designation is center-to-center at the end of the drop bar
The Vision Metron 5D is integrated with many frames. With a dedicated spacer, you can achieve more integrated and concise visual effects.
In order to align with the spacer, there is a positioning design at the bottom of the stem.
The vision angle of the Vision Merton 5D is -6 °. The top of the stem is integrated with a dedicated top cap. The locking height of the stem is 40mm.
Vision Metron 5D uses a cable design inside, but because the tube is very flat and the interior is not completely flat, you may encounter some trouble when passing the cable.
The shape of the Vision Metron 5D's drop bar is different from the traditional design.
Both sides are 5mm apart, but keep the shape vertical, so it will look a bit awkward.
This is said to be a design from World Tour rider feedback.
Vision Metron 5D supports not only the traditional DI2 controller, but also the new RS910. The opening of the drop bar is oval, allowing easy access for Di2 cables.
After prolonged use, the surface pattern will crack.
Why bring accessories?
This is the weight when really riding.
The Vision Metron 5D is an integrated handlebar that heavily uses the opinions of professional riders. Because UCI has a minimum weight limit, weight is not a priority.
The weight of 465 grams is really not light, and a top cap of 14 grams is added. It is a major obstacle to bicycle weight loss.
Vision Metron 5D offers four stem lengths: 100/110/120/130 and three widths: 400/420/440. Narrow width options are not available.
Thanks for an excellent review. It is impressive how much thought Vision have put into ensuring compatibility with Di2 and ease of cable routing. Does anyone know if the 'hidden chamber' under-stem slot that appears to be a place to hide the Di2 junction A (stem version) works in practical reality? If it was practical and enabled easy access to plug the battery charger in, it would effectively remove the need to purchase the bar end junction.

I am concerned mainly that the hole on the side of the hidden chamber seems very small and it may mean that every time you want to connect the battery charger to the stem junction box it will require getting the allen keys out to remove the cover of said hidden chamber?

Many thanks
Mike

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

mikebuf73 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:46 pm
kiritozhang wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:05 am
1.1 Vision Metron 5D
In my opinion, the most famous one is the Vision Metron 5D. It has a very high usage rate in competitions, and many brands of aerodynamic bikes choose to use it.
For example: Bianchi Oltra XR4, Merida Reacto, Orbea Orca Aero, etc.
Vision Metron 5D has a highly recognizable appearance, strong and aerodynamic.
The Vision Metron 5D's shape is the most flat and aggressive of the four products. The computer mount uses a structure fixed under the handle.
The Stem can house Shimano Di2 controllers and adjustable-length computer mounts. Complete integration of accessories is extremely high.
But I have seen the storage structure of the Shimano Di2 controller break.
The bottom shows the specifications and torque values of the handlebars. The handlebar width designation is center-to-center at the end of the drop bar
The Vision Metron 5D is integrated with many frames. With a dedicated spacer, you can achieve more integrated and concise visual effects.
In order to align with the spacer, there is a positioning design at the bottom of the stem.
The vision angle of the Vision Merton 5D is -6 °. The top of the stem is integrated with a dedicated top cap. The locking height of the stem is 40mm.
Vision Metron 5D uses a cable design inside, but because the tube is very flat and the interior is not completely flat, you may encounter some trouble when passing the cable.
The shape of the Vision Metron 5D's drop bar is different from the traditional design.
Both sides are 5mm apart, but keep the shape vertical, so it will look a bit awkward.
This is said to be a design from World Tour rider feedback.
Vision Metron 5D supports not only the traditional DI2 controller, but also the new RS910. The opening of the drop bar is oval, allowing easy access for Di2 cables.
After prolonged use, the surface pattern will crack.
Why bring accessories?
This is the weight when really riding.
The Vision Metron 5D is an integrated handlebar that heavily uses the opinions of professional riders. Because UCI has a minimum weight limit, weight is not a priority.
The weight of 465 grams is really not light, and a top cap of 14 grams is added. It is a major obstacle to bicycle weight loss.
Vision Metron 5D offers four stem lengths: 100/110/120/130 and three widths: 400/420/440. Narrow width options are not available.
Thanks for an excellent review. It is impressive how much thought Vision have put into ensuring compatibility with Di2 and ease of cable routing. Does anyone know if the 'hidden chamber' under-stem slot that appears to be a place to hide the Di2 junction A (stem version) works in practical reality? If it was practical and enabled easy access to plug the battery charger in, it would effectively remove the need to purchase the bar end junction.

I am concerned mainly that the hole on the side of the hidden chamber seems very small and it may mean that every time you want to connect the battery charger to the stem junction box it will require getting the allen keys out to remove the cover of said hidden chamber?

Many thanks
Mike
Apart from my dislike of the hideous overbanding of these bars, they are pretty heavy at 465g. I'm really interested to hear how people like/dislike the new Bontrager bars that came out with the Emonda. 42/110 combo (same as above) listed at 293g, over 170g lighter. That's a huge weight drop compared to these. And they look way better. The geo is the only thing I'm curious about with the long reach.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Agrajag

by Agrajag

PrimO wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:21 pm
I'm interested in The One bar/stem, any idea how someone in Europe would go about buying one???

Edit: Found it on Aliexpress >>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148380733.html
Thanks for the find! I've been having a browse on aliexpress and there are a lot of sellers selling what appears to be the same bar (unbranded) for significantly cheaper (e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009758017.html). I have no idea on how these are manufactured (perhaps the same mould is used with different carbon quality/methods/QC etc?), can anyone offer any insight on whether it's worth the extra $$ for the branded "The One" bar, is this going to be better quality or are they going to be coming from the same production line and be exactly the same?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com