Bowman Palace 3 has landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tourniquet

by tourniquet

Excited for your photos! You really want to strip the paintjob down? What will be the replacement?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Before you have it stripped and painted, make sure it actually works.

Mine was welded wrong and the chain would rub the seat stay on the 11T..
Got a new frame - warranty - and the replacement seems to be OK regarding the welds.

This time around the paint job is so-so and there is a small dent in the BB shell though..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0354.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg
IMG_0358.jpeg

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

tourniquet wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:16 pm
You really want to strip the paintjob down? What will be the replacement?
My Canyon Ultimate is repainted in an awesome purple/green flip. Would like to do something similar albeit other colors, probably a pink/gold flip if my painter can get pigments for that. Occassionally a similar blend is seen on cars so should be available somewhere.
TerryDi2C wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:57 pm
Mine was welded wrong and the chain would rub the seat stay on the 11T..
Got a new frame - warranty - and the replacement seems to be OK regarding the welds.
That doesn't sound fun. But was that a new Palace 3 as in happened just recently, or with a past model at an earlier time? Hopefully the QC is better now as I don't think I can be arsed to build up and disassemble the bike before an eventual repaint.

Don't think my Foots Cray had any major issues. Well aside from the chainstay crack which led to the Palace 3 replacement of course. Possibly the brake mounts were not quite surfaced properly or the paint was uneven, getting the calipers centered was always a pain but was eventually successful.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

It was the first batch of frames. The replacement was sent to me 2 weeks ago, so that is a recent version.

What was wrong with the first one can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KWXiaVG2WJeLyJAk9 - basically.. drive-side seat stay was offset to the inside causing it to rub the frame on the 11T.
The new one can probably be ridden, but I'm not quite happy with it. Going to think about what to do with it.

Yours looks pretty good though!

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Mine has a small weld buildup on the inside of the dropout as well, but it can't be more than say 0.5 mm and the stay looks like it's in the proper position. I suppose I ought to at least make a rough alignment check by installing a pair of wheels in the frameset before shipping off to paint.

One difference I immediately noticed on my frame compared to the website is that the seatstays are welded further forward. I wonder if this is a deliberate change, random depending on who happens to be building the frame, or they simply use the same length stays on all frame sizes? It also looked to have the stays welded further up on the seattube, so could be a smaller frame size I suppose. At least your previous frame was the same Terry, the new one also and which size are they?

Either way, it really draws attention to the pointless eyelets which this frame only has because the dropouts are shared with the Weald. If I am going to repaint anyway I wonder if they can be cut off or if that would be a bad idea…

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

I'll share some images via PM ;-)

tourniquet

by tourniquet

Has anybody built up a Palace 3 / 3c? Any pictures/experiences? I am super curious!

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Would love to see some images of the tyre clearance on the rim brake version with calipers if anyone has a moment. Perhaps at the chainstays if that is the closest pinch point...?

Singular

by Singular

petromyzon wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:39 pm
Would love to see some images of the tyre clearance on the rim brake version with calipers if anyone has a moment. Perhaps at the chainstays if that is the closest pinch point...?
The are no Palace 3c in the wild yet - the first ones (among them mine) are about to go out in the very close future, is what I'm told by Bowman.

IIRC, there is a clearance photo in the product page.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Aah, I didn't realise, had assumed some had made it to consumers. There are clearance photos but it's not clear what size of Schwalbe tyre is mounted and they are on Shimano C24s so not really comparable with my rims.

Singular

by Singular

Mine just landed - really stoked. Going to be a sweet build!

cjm

by cjm

That looks good, whats the plan for the build?

Singular

by Singular

cjm wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm
That looks good, whats the plan for the build?
Mostly carry-overs from my trusty ti steed (that is going into its fifteenth year of service with me and carries enough dents, scrapes and bruises to deserve to be retired from racing and enjoy its time as an endurance and pleasure ride); 10-speed Record/Super Record combo, black Thomson seatpost and stem, Profile DRV Aero bars, classic Flite and a fairly wide range of wheels (but most likely Cosmic Pro Carbons or Record/460s for everyday use and either 202s or Veltec 45mm tubulars for raceday duties.)

tourniquet

by tourniquet

Singular wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:54 pm
Mine just landed - really stoked. Going to be a sweet build!
Very cool! Please keep us updated about general build quality, cable routing etc.!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com