Aero frame upgrade - worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ruklaw

by ruklaw

Is the position identical on the two bikes? Looks like saddle to bar drop is slightly less on the aero bike.

But yeah, everything I've read suggests aero frames are a very marginal gain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calv1n

by calv1n

sigma wrote:
calv1n wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:57 pm
I’m currently riding a 2016 Cannondale Supersix HM, with bora one 50 wheels and aeronova bars. I race a fair amount (crits and road races) and have improved enough to get into breaks and solos where TT / aero benefits may make the difference.
Already having aero wheels, handlebar and helmet (which I gather are the 3 main equipment wins - aside from clothing / position), is it really worth upgrading the frame (which would essentially mean buying a whole new bike) to an aeroroad / madone / venge / other? I’m generally very happy with the Supersix - it works well, no creaks, power meter etc - and I don’t want to spend £7k + if it’s not actually going to make the difference.
With regards to position, here’s how I currently fit (which I’m sure could be better).

I have a bike fit in a few weeks and there’s a good chance they’ll talk me towards a new bike - just wanted people’s opinions beforehand. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What kind of terrain do you typically race / ride? I'd be very wary of looking at what pros ride especially GC contenders in grand tours. They have the benefit of domestiques sitting in front so can save the energy for attacks on the hills almost exclusively. I had your exact bike and it was one of the best bikes i have ever owned. Responsive, fast, and light. I miss it but mine was slightly small for me so at some point I let it go. I would do exactly what you did - add an aero bar and deep wheels first. Wear good tight racing jerseys. These small changes make a big difference in wattages and I think you will notice the benefit. If you handle the supersix well, and given its accolades for excellent handling, you can make up some serious ground on the downhill anyway. After making these adjustments, work on riding position. A lot of being aero on the road comes down to you, so maybe work on the cheaper gains first. Good luck!
Cheers. I’m sure you’re right - I love the bike too. Kind of a bolted, barn door, horse, situation given I have the Venge now, but still Image

calv1n

by calv1n

ruklaw wrote:Is the position identical on the two bikes? Looks like saddle to bar drop is slightly less on the aero bike.

About 5mm less drop on Venge - good eye! Marginal seems to be the conclusion. Hopefully this thread is useful for someone in a similar situation, but I don’t regret the decision at all.

pmprego

by pmprego

calv1n wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 am
ruklaw wrote:Is the position identical on the two bikes? Looks like saddle to bar drop is slightly less on the aero bike.

About 5mm less drop on Venge - good eye! Marginal seems to be the conclusion. Hopefully this thread is useful for someone in a similar situation, but I don’t regret the decision at all.
That creates a difference when comparing both bikes on a 10min stretch. Why not go as low as on the cannondale?

Apart from that, everything is marginal. Of course, the most significant gain is to be able to sustain the position from the photo the entire race. If one achieves that without getting completely fatigated then the aero savings will be huge.

calv1n

by calv1n

pmprego wrote:
calv1n wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 am

That creates a difference when comparing both bikes on a 10min stretch. Why not go as low as on the cannondale?

Apart from that, everything is marginal. Of course, the most significant gain is to be able to sustain the position from the photo the entire race. If one achieves that without getting completely fatigated then the aero savings will be huge.
I went slightly higher on the Venge, for 2 reasons: 1) the drops are lower on it, so wanted to keep them comfortable 2) full on aero position on the SS is a little too low for me - I can’t comfortably keep my forearms on the tops, whereas on the Venge I can stay there for a decent amount of time with no issues. Agree though, not quite comparing Image with Image.