Disc brake bike - QR or Thru Axle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillClimbTom

by HillClimbTom

Brought a Kinesis 4s frameset (dual disc/rim model) with a plan to build it up as a winter/training bike. I have got all the parts to start putting it together but now I see there is a Thru Axle version of this frameset and there is an ex display model for sale at a very good price.

My questions are, will I see a big difference between the two axle standards and is there any issues with running a QR disc bike that thru axles eliminate?

Many Thanks

ms6073

by ms6073

HillClimbTom wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:13 pm
is there any issues with running a QR disc bike that thru axles eliminate?
I started with post mount disc brakes on my MTB and CX bike before thru-axle become the standard. After a couple instances on my MTB were I did not feel like the quick releases were clamping the front dropouts as well as I wanted, so I opted to use DT's RWS thru-bolt axles. Fast forward a few years, and we now have road and gravel bikes with thru-axles and flat-mount disc brakes, and while I would not go back to QR, as I get the surplus disc-brake CX bike with QR ready for sale on Ebay, I do find it much easier to center the post mount calipers compared to the flat mount, but the thru-axles ensure the same rotor alignment and afford a much better sense of security about not having the front wheel come off under heavy braking.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DarthKrutall

by DarthKrutall

I built up the older 4S with QR flat mount hyro disc
TBH had no issues, even rode a 235km / 4000+m fondo with a stack of climbing and decending

Occasionally I would get some pinging in damp weather
Likewise if their was some slight rub after a hard brake into a turn a quick tap on the brake to re-allign would fix it

As I was always popping out the front wheel to put my bike in the car though
The only thing I did each ride was slot the wheel in and squeeze the brake before tightning the QR
Attachments
IMG_2772.jpg

blehargh

by blehargh

If you want to have options of buying wheels in the future I would get the TA version. Gonna be harder to find replacement wheels that are pre built

joejack951

by joejack951

blehargh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:28 am
If you want to have options of buying wheels in the future I would get the TA version. Gonna be harder to find replacement wheels that are pre built
As long as the standard hub width stays at 100mm, adapting a thru axle wheel to a QR fork will remain quite easy. If it goes to 110mm, those with 100mm thru axle forks aren’t going to fare any better than those with a QR fork.

I have ~25k road miles on a QR disc fork from 2008 without any issues of the wheel coming loose. Be consistent with installing the wheel (put pressure on the handlebars while tightening the QR to be sure it is fully seated) and make that QR nice and tight.

HillClimbTom

by HillClimbTom

Thanks for the comments so far.

I think I'm going to build up the QR frame and see what happens. As for future proofing myself, I have already thought about that. I have got hope hubs which can be adapted to pretty much any standard.

If anyone else has any advise or experience running either setup then shout up. It's going to take me a while to get it built, so still time to change.

mentok

by mentok

My 4s is the older style and I run qr. Very rarely I get front end pings but that typically only happens if I haven't taken due care to centre the wheel.

I have the wheels off several times a week and I don't have real issues centring then when I refit them.

I've never felt any significant flex in the front end. The tracer fork is pretty overbuilt, I don't think a through axle would make a tremendous difference.

By comparison, I have a tripster cx and I don't think the axles are particularly nice to work with.

Personally, I'd take the cheap option because i don't think it makes that much difference in performance.

jones1991

by jones1991

i had a CAADX with QR and everytime i got out of the saddle the discs rubbed.. i have since gotten a kinesis 4s disc with TA and that never rubs

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

My Crockett is a first-year model, with QR's, both front and rear. I eliminated the disc rub by using DT Swiss RWS QR skewers. You just tighten the skewers until the wheels are snug, and adjust the cam. It acts much like a 5mm thru-axle.

Unfortunately, the skewers aren't the lightest option out there, but they're much more stable than traditional QR's.

scb

by scb

No disc brake rub on my C64 with TAs. I really like the clean look without the QR releases sticking out, but, of course, there is the convenience factor.

jih

by jih

I have the old 4s that takes QRs and can be built either disc or rim brakes. I went for rim brakes because it is what I had at the time.

I've also got QR disc brake bikes. Never had a problem so long as I'm using heavy-duty QRs like Campag or Shimano. WOuldn't be happy to use light ones like KCNC, tune etc with discs.

I'd say build with what you have. The TA version is slightly better, but it isn't worth fussing over if you already have the QR version of the frame.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

I think it's ridiculous that road MFGs are claiming that QRs aren't good enough for disc use. They were used for years in MTB and it was really only downhill that brought on thru axles, then 12x142, and now 12x148. I've ridden plenty of QR and TA mtbs and I'd say there are so many confounding factors in stiffness that it's impossible to level it just to axle. I certainly have never had a wheel drop out, and that's in actual mountain biking, not road riding.

Anyways...my next bike is TA, sure enough. It's part of the complete package, and if I had to buy new wheels anyways, I may as well get ones that are most forward compatible. I do think having thru axles helps, but it's not going to revolutionize your ride.

AJS914

by AJS914

I got an insane deal on my S-Works Crux because it was "old tech" with quick releases. This Crux rides great with zero complaints. I'll probably ride it until it dies since I don't see any other game changing tech coming along yet.

Broady

by Broady

Yeah I've had no issues at all with Qr and discs, may swap the forks at some point but not overly necessary, just aesthetic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

I have QR now. Works great for me, no issues. Moving forward I'll be looking into TA for my next bike.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc