Sram Red Etap Shifter repair HELP??

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
upside

by upside

I am hoping someone here can help me with an issue.
Last summer a friend of mine had a serious accident in Italy riding. He took a bad spill and was put into ICU. In the process, the bike needed some loving care and that is where I come in. I am a fairly decent mechanic.... I found the tiny spring in his right shifter that returns the shifting lever is gone.
Is there some trick in getting that spring in? Or is my best solution to send it in for repair.

by Weenie

HillClimbTom

by HillClimbTom

upside wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:53 pm
I am hoping someone here can help me with an issue.
Last summer a friend of mine had a serious accident in Italy riding. He took a bad spill and was put into ICU. In the process, the bike needed some loving care and that is where I come in. I am a fairly decent mechanic.... I found the tiny spring in his right shifter that returns the shifting lever is gone.
Is there some trick in getting that spring in? Or is my best solution to send it in for repair.
I presume you have a new spring?

If so you can get it in without dismantling the whole lever, I just went and took one of mine out and replaced it to check!

Start by making sure that the part in the shift button is in correct, the spring should be going into the cupped side. Next angle the spring into that side first and once it's in you can just compress the spring and flick it into the lever blade side. You can also press down on the cup part like when it shifts to give yourself a bit more room.

It's a fiddly job but can be done!

upside

by upside

HillClimb Tom... Thanks so much.. with a little fiddling I did get it in

HillClimbTom

by HillClimbTom

upside wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:32 pm
HillClimb Tom... Thanks so much.. with a little fiddling I did get it in
Great news! Hopefully your mate will be recovered and back out riding soon 🤙