Hard part to Find

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
CXJedi
in the industry

by CXJedi

Hi Everyone
My wife got a 2019 Fuji Gran Fondo bike when performance closed here. While out on a ride she had a shifting accident ( I won't bore you with the details and she is ok) and mannaged to bend her front derailleur and hanger. The problem is that the hanger is very uncommon. Its rivited on the seat tube and has 4 holes for said rivits. Fuji says thye don't have that part and I have emailed the manufacturer (Ideal bike company) several times with no responce. I found SOS hangers but they dont have the part as well. Does anyone know of another company or have any other ideas?

Thanks
Attachments
20190908_172650.jpg
Last edited by CXJedi on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

numberSix

by numberSix

Damaged part photos?

It can likely be removed and straightened using hammer and dolly techniques. The tricky part is not egging out the rivet holes during removal.

How sturdy is the frame? You likely could make do with a band style derailleur mount.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Is the seat tube round if so remove the braze on mount and fit a braze on adapter.

CXJedi
in the industry

by CXJedi

Hi the seat tube is square where the mount is and the mount is recessed into the frame. So I cant jsut get a clamp and put it back on unforntually. Im thinking about making is a 1X wife is pissed though that this happened.

numberSix

by numberSix

Photo would be more useful if it wasn't a 'Ray Charles using a flip phone' tier photo (apologies, couldn't resist). Front, side, top, back photos in focus and showing any metal surface stress would help. Please use the 'tap to focus ' feature so the tab is clear and well lit.

Ok, so It's not a round seat tube frame, so no tube clamp replacement mount.

If Fuji is no help and the original part is toast, no harm trying to remove and straighten it. If the metal fatiques and snaps, it's on to Plan B.

If you're not afraid to add a few holes to the frame, another brand frame tab might fit the tube shape enough to rivet on with undue stress. For some brands tabs are available:

https://glorycycles.com/ridley-helium-f ... nd-rivets/

So it's a matter of finding a similar enough seat tube on a frame where they would sell you a tab.