Flare bars for road riding

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

I need to pick out some handlebars for the 3T Strada I'm building up. I'm struggling to find the right ones as my current setup has Deda 0 flare 35 bars, which aren't terribly comfortable. The drop bars I've been most comfortable with have been gravel focused flare bars on an ebike I owned for a while. Those were "6 degree flare" though I can't find any measurements or details (they were also wide AF @ 54cm). I'm wondering if anybody has explored flare bars for road use (not gravel) as I felt they were super ergonomic and made me want to ride in the drops all day, which is a feeling i'd love to replicate on my Strada. That being said, if there's a good reason not to get flares that I've overlooked, I'm all ears.

There's nothing too crazy going on with this build- it'll be a 1x etap Force build, 50mm Prime carbon wheels, some other crap. It's of course an Aero road bike, but I'm also not terribly focused on aero- I primarly ride solo for fitness and enjoyment, though this summer I'd love to start doing group rides and races. Right now I have my eye on the FSA AGX K-Wing, which is 12* flare, somewhat aero, and pretty lightweight, but there are other more aero options that have less flare, and less aero options that have a reasonable amount of flare. I'd normally just spring for the FSAs but they are quite pricey, so I'd love advice before taking the plunge.

by Weenie

citrusparty

by citrusparty

The enve road bars are known to have a nice flare. Some people even size down 20 mm because the flare at the drops can compensate for the lost width (the 38 hoods flare to 40).

Easton bars also have a flare as well. They're cheaper than the enve's

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

I like my set of enves but they are pretty expensive. One thing with the enve's is that with the warranty if you manage to crash and brake the bars they will warranty them for you. I think the cheapest aero handlebar with flair is the Bontrager "Elite Aero VR-CF Road Handlebar." It is aluminum though.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

I saw the ENVEs...actually their aero bars have very similar flare to the FSAs, but they measure their bars backwards so a 42cm is 42 end-end and like 37 hood-hood. I don't think I'd be comfortable that narrow, but if people are happy with the flare, I could size up to the FSA and have a similar setup. I was considering sizing down to a 40cm (shoulder bones measure 42) as the drops are so wide, but it sounds like the FSAs measure a bit narrower on the hoods than regular bars.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

There's flare and sweep. Flare is how far the drops out sideways, but the drops can still be parellel to the frame. Sweep is where the tips of the bars are angled away from the bike. Zipp, Bontrager, and Easton all have 4deg of sweep. I haven't found any flat top/aero bar with more than that. 3T gravel bar might interest you, but its not really aero, but also not not aero. .
The FSA/VIsion units are flared, but not swept.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

Thanks for the tip. No MFG seems to get it clear. Bontrager even calls their bar VRCF for variable radius compact FLARE.... I have been unable to find any diagrams of the bars though.

Are the 3Ts flared? I have my eye on the ergonova as well as the Zefiro (cheap on CRC) which are both listed as 6* flare and measure about 20mm wider Drop-drop. Would prefer aero bars but comfort is king.

The FSAs certainly seem to be flared- they are wide/aggressively flared though.

I think I am fairly certain I'm looking for flare and not sweep, something to keep my wrists in a comfortable position, but I am less worried about sprinting clearance in the drops.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The 40cm is like the Ergo with drops pointed out a reasonable amount. The 44cm is off the deep end.

For an aero road bike, you just want easy access to the drops and those drops to be at a comfortable angle, right? You’re looking for bars where the drops are extended further back and at a bit of an angle rather than dead straight, tucked under the tops. The Easton EC70 is going to be the way to go. It’s $170-ish and puts the drops where you want them. Zipp and Bontrager are more expensive and have less drop-tip.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:45 pm

The 40cm is like the Ergo with drops pointed out a reasonable amount. The 44cm is off the deep end.

For an aero road bike, you just want easy access to the drops and those drops to be at a comfortable angle, right? You’re looking for bars where the drops are extended further back and at a bit of an angle rather than dead straight, tucked under the tops. The Easton EC70 is going to be the way to go. It’s $170-ish and puts the drops where you want them. Zipp and Bontrager are more expensive and have less drop-tip.
I think that's right. I would prefer to avoid 0* flare bars, as that's what i have now and I don't find them comfortable. I don't have a ton of experience with road bars, so I am trying to just pick some out and go for it. Current ones are 0, and the gravel ebike claimed to have had 6* flare, but I don't have them to measure. I was in a shop poking around the other day and found some bars on a Raleigh adventure bike that are listed as 12* and mirror what I felt on the ebike.

ANYWAYS, these are a diagram I found for the eastons:

That looks like flare and not sweep to me...am I reading it right? If so that puts it in with good company of Prime, 3T, and others that have ~20mm difference between hoods and drops.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Salsa Cowbell carbon is another option if you can live without the "aero"
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I use Deda Gravel 100 on my gravel/cx and they are one of the best handlebars I've ever had. Slight flare, nice shape. Not really WW though.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

Thanks for the tip- those look great and they aren't dissimilar in measurements to the FSAs I'm eyeballing. Let me ask you this- why don't you ride them on your road bike? I guess I'm trying to figure out, if I like the feel of these bars, is there any reason not to try out a set on this build? Like am I more likely to ruin my riding profile in the wind by having elbows sticking out, or fatigue my wrists over longer rides? Or am I just going to be comfortable if not slightly dorky looking? The FSAs are the same weight or lighter than most of the cheaper aero bars I'm looking at, they're available in the size I want, they have the flare I think I'd be comfortable with and slightly aero tops (similar to their vision metron line). I just don't want to splurge if I'm going to look like a chicken riding down the road or something.

by Weenie