It's farking cold!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kervelo

Re: It's farking cold!

Post by kervelo »

Blocking the wind while also letting out the moisture at the same time is the most important thing when riding in cold weather. Most "winter" apparel for cyclists is not good enough for really cold rides, they are made for Southern European milder conditions.

Bib tights with windstopper panels at least at the front, thicker windstopper jacket, heavier weight long sleeve base layer shirt, mid layer if needed, good gloves, wind proof hat under the helmet, winter shoes with shoe covers. With that you should survive -5 to -10 degrees C easily, at least for some hours.

Karvalo

Post by Karvalo »

pletharoe wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am
So, what am I doing wrong? People talk about layering, but I can't find any other mid layers or jackets that are thicker.
Are you sure?

The Pro Team Training Jacket is not a heavy jacket. It has 'cool and changeable conditions' in the job title. If you get super cold, get a proper winter jacket. People like Castelli, 7-Mesh and Assos all have mulitple options that are far more insulating.

Merino baselayers also are not that warm per unit weight/thickness. Merino is great for multi day events but it's not a patch on good synthetic for single ride performance. Something like the Assos or Spatz full winter baselayers would be a revelation for you. Even the Spring/Fall Assos baselayer would probably be much warmer.

Tbh, based on your choice of those two, I'd then imagine that your gloves, overshoes and hat were probably too light as well.

Lewn777

Post by Lewn777 »

I once rode in Hebei Northern China (Zhangjiakou to Chongli) in January in about -20c (-4F). When things get really cold cycle wear just can't hack it and you need to start to think about ski/snowboarding wear for example really good thermal underwear and you're going to need ski gloves when it gets sub zero and thick socks and overshoes are a must as those extremities can really take a hit. I got frostnip in my toes, all good after a few days and that was wearing ski socks with thick overshoes.

mcfarton

Post by mcfarton »

Butcher wrote:A layer of Zwift helps me.
Lol I was thinking the same thing. That and x training with running works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kervelo

Post by kervelo »

mcfarton wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:09 pm
Butcher wrote:A layer of Zwift helps me.
Lol I was thinking the same thing. That and x training with running works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another nice option is to ride your mtb instead of the road bike during the coldest months. The slower speed means less windchill effect, you also must work harder to keep the wide tires rolling.

naylor343

Post by naylor343 »

I train all year around in the mountains. My go to winter garment is the castelli one piece San remo thermo suit. As for undervests, I believe nothing keeps you as dry as an open mesh base layer. This winter I am currently using a dhb long sleeve mesh top. The secret to staying warm is to keep the skin dry.

GothicCastle

Post by GothicCastle »

I suspect that the pro team jacket with just a base layer might not be enough. The front of that jacket is a wind blocker, which is great, but the back is just fabric; it might not provide enough insulation.

I'd try that combination with a thermal jersey. Also, if you're more of a heavy sweater, I'd try a slightly heavier synthetic base layer. I love merino, but if you're building up a lot of heat on a climb, the merino might not draw the sweat away from your skin enough to keep you warm on the descent.

Other than that, think about your extremities. Are you wearing shoe covers (something heavier, like neoprene)? A cap under the helmet? Keeping hands and feet warm goes a long way to overall comfort. When it starts getting cold, I like wearing a thin glove liner under a windproof shell glove. The extra layer seems to trap warm air better than one thick glove, and helps keep things warm if you have to take off your gloves.

kode54

Post by kode54 »

When it gets below 0C, I wear Assos Bonka tights, Chot3 Jersey/jacket with Assos Equipe RS rain jacket for wind protection. VOID Mittens w a chemical pack and winter boots with thermal overshoes. The Equipe RS rain wind jacket cuts the wind chill and breathes very well.

I just have to keep my eyes peeled for black ice.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

jih

Post by jih »

If you're the first to the top of a hill, don't wait for club mates at the top. Descend while still warm and wait for them at the bottom.

Take a lightweight packable gillet. In the pocket for the climb, get to the top, stop for literally the ten seconds to put it on, and descend. Don't wait around losing the body heat you generated going up.

joejack951

Post by joejack951 »

pletharoe wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am
So, what am I doing wrong? People talk about layering, but I can't find any other mid layers or jackets that are thicker.
The more dynamic the ride, the more dynamic your clothing needs to be. I used to commute year round in the northeast US so I'd experience everything from 40C or more in the summer down to -15C in the winter. I had an hour long commute so suffering through poor clothing choices was awful. I tried a lot of different combos to figure out what worked best.

My favorite piece of gear for cold temperatures was a windproof baselayer. While it seems illogical to some people (per prior conversations), it worked beautifully. What it allowed me to do was to wear a fairly light, breathable outer layer which I would use to regulate body temp. On the flats and rolling sections, I'd keep the neck unzipped a bit to allow some air in. Going up, I'd unzip further to let extra air in to keep from overheating. Downhill, zip it all the way up. The windproof nature of the baselayer kept the cold air from feeling awful against my core. Combine with a balaclava for very cold temperatures. I use one loose enough to allow for easily covering and uncovering my nose and mouth as the terrain changes.

slashy

Post by slashy »

besides all the obvious tips on clothing; do you eat enough the evening before and during breakfast before going out ?

AJS914

Post by AJS914 »

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 pm
THY is right about 12 to 14 degrees being impossible to dress for.
For that temperature range, lately I've been using my Castelli Gabba "jersey". I use it with thermal arm warmers and a single jersey. It's been a great addition to my kit. If it's a little bit colder I'll put a mesh base layer underneath.

robertbb

Post by robertbb »

slashy wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:43 pm
besides all the obvious tips on clothing; do you eat enough the evening before and during breakfast before going out ?
How does this affect how much one feels the cold?

I would have thought diverting circulation to the digestive system would actually make it harder to keep extremities warm...

uraqt

Post by uraqt »

While i haven't used all base layers and I am a fan of assos bibbs, there is no way I will use anything but q36.5 for baselayers... I might get a few freezing days where I live and the standard Base Layer 2 is magic ... has a huge temp range, drys super fast and fits awsome. I think the machine used to make it must be magic too as it's really 1 pice and 3d knited.. the front and back differnt have differnt patterns and differnt venting...

Norml winter day summer jersey, q36.5 for baselayer, wool armwarmers and extra light windbraker coat or vest. Near freazing same set up but Gabba jersey... The only issue is that washing the gabba wrecks it water proof coating..

C

slashy

Post by slashy »

robertbb wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:15 am
slashy wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:43 pm
How does this affect how much one feels the cold?

I would have thought diverting circulation to the digestive system would actually make it harder to keep extremities warm...
it is what works for me (i'm 176/65kg and I often do 4-5h rides between -3 and 10 °C). if i'm tired or did not eat enough I will feel colder for sure.
besides that I do have a castelli alpha jacket, the older one with dual zippers. I wear a longsleeve non-merino medium thickness base layer (unless really freezing , then I wear a 'warm' baselayer and the jacket). I'm wondering if that jacket would help the OP . it has dual zippers which allow to open up the exterior zipper on the climbs without getting really cold)