It's farking cold!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
dfischer1

by dfischer1

pletharoe wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am
With winter approaching I invested in Rapha's pro team training jacket and classic winter tights. These, along with a merino base layer, gloves, hat and overshoes should keep me toasty warm - right?

WRONG!

At the bottom of the hills it was about 8C and at the top around 4. On the flat ride to the hill I was cold, going up just right, going down I froze!

So, what am I doing wrong? People talk about layering, but I can't find any other mid layers or jackets that are thicker.
Where exactly are you cold? Focus on those areas. If you're just generally cold, add the Insulated Gilet under your jacket and that would probably help. Also try a summer base layer under the Merino.
Also consider a buff, the Winter Cap, Winter Gloves and/or winter cycling shoes. The Fizik Articas are excellent.

Aeo

by Aeo

Jhomewood wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:15 am
Try looking at the free flow jacket from 7mesh
This is a good jacket. Very warm for its size and weight, you can roll it up and put in a jersey pocket.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

sychen wrote:One thing I found is that merino base layers are crap.

Soaks up all the sweat and keeps it for the decent to freeze you up.
Agree

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

pletharoe wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am
With winter approaching I invested in Rapha's pro team training jacket and classic winter tights. These, along with a merino base layer, gloves, hat and overshoes should keep me toasty warm - right?

WRONG!

At the bottom of the hills it was about 8C and at the top around 4. On the flat ride to the hill I was cold, going up just right, going down I froze!

So, what am I doing wrong? People talk about layering, but I can't find any other mid layers or jackets that are thicker.
make sure you ventilate when you go up the hill or doing big efforts, sounds like sweat soaked your base-layer and once you start to freewheel you started to freeze

GlasNago

by GlasNago

is any one suggest a super warm set of bib tights with a top end pad? i mean superwarm. i get cold and already layer tights so i need some bib longs to go under either endura stealth 2 or PI amfibs. i have assos bonka, castelli polare and wind sorpasso amongst others.just looking for a thick fleece and thick pad

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

GlasNago wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:40 pm
is any one suggest a super warm set of bib tights with a top end pad? i mean superwarm. i get cold and already layer tights so i need some bib longs to go under either endura stealth 2 or PI amfibs. i have assos bonka, castelli polare and wind sorpasso amongst others.just looking for a thick fleece and thick pad
I'm a Canadian eh, so I have cred on the subject of dressing for cold.
Assos tights have the best pad so stick with them. The better versions have the windblocker over the groin, also good. If you want to be even warmer use tall ski socks and knee warmers underneath. And if you want to be warmer still, trade the knee warmers for Assos leg warmers. The flap that covers the hip on the legwarmers and the heavier material should do the trick. Even warmer? Try a superlight windproof mtb short over top.

For the feet, belgian bootie type oversock underneath a heavy thermal waterproof bootie is the way to go. Add a chemical toe heater to make if feel like you are riding in summmer.

If you want my upper body tips let me know.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kode54

by kode54

Since you already have Assos Bonka, maybe just add a Stumprinz knicker on top of that. Works fairly well. I've only had to do that once...and temps were under 20F.
GlasNago wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:40 pm
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

GlasNago

by GlasNago

thanks for the suggestions Mr.Gib and kode56
scotland usually can't compete with canadian low temps just the perpetual wall of precipitation and low single figures (degC)
got an endura event fabric equivalent of the stumprinz and have even used pi and sportful full length water proof trousers. things can get a bit sweaty and not a great fit.

lang may yer lum reek

kode54

by kode54

On top, sometimes I layer up with the Assos Equipe RS jacket. Its thin and breathes very well. The Sturmprinz knickers also breathes well and you can layer that up without building up moisture. I like the knicker version because the full leg length Sturmprinz is a bit much over the Bonka.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Rapha winter tights with the pad. Also have insulated thermal bibs from them that I can layer over some unpadded tights if things get really bad.

Castelli Flanders thermal base layer: This thing will burn you up, and allows me to wear a lot less overall on my torso down into really cold temperatures. I am consistently shocked at how warm it is.

Castelli Gabba jacket for when it's really bad.

Rapha brevet insulated jacket for when it isn't too bad Maybe mid 40s or above.

Rapha Pro team insulated Gilet, borderline absurdly warm. Can be worn over the insulated brevet jacket with some castelli nanoflex arm warmers to take that setup down into the mid 30s.

Mavic Thermo winter socks. Toe covers down to around 40°, gore thermal shoe covers much below that.

Gore gloves. I have two pairs. One that's basically a shell that I wear down until maybe 35-40°, and then a thermal pair for temperatures below that.

I have a rapha winter hat for when things get really cold, but sometimes it can be too much. Also have a mavic neck gaiter type thing. I don't usually wear it up, but if it's really cold I can at least use it to stop air getting in through the neck of my jacket.

flying

by flying

I do not have super frozen temps to deal with but...I do live at elevation & it can get pretty cold for me
as I ride at sunrise.

The one thing that made the biggest difference for me was a neck tube/warmer

I use bib knickers, a base layer, thermo long sleeve jersey & sometimes a vest on top
But when I added the neck tube this year I was really surprised.

I pull it up over my nose & ears on descents
As expected exhale is plenty warm & trapping it a bit in the merino neck warmer it warms face & nose but also goes down your neck which feels great for me.

Anyway... :beerchug: Try one if you have not already...cheap effective IMHO

willmac

by willmac

Assos do good stuff. Rapha gear is actually very good for winter also. I live in Scandinavia and just rode from Copenhagen to Amsterdam for Christmas. I was outside for 15 hours a day so had enough time to truly appreciate what warm weather gear is. I've ridden in Gabba's and I have PNS winter gear also but I chose the rapha insulated jacket for this ride and was extremely impressed. A lot of this clothing attempts to be the magical piece that negates the need for layering but in my experience, layering is the only thing that truly works. Synthetic baffled baselayers or mesh merino work very well at moving sweat away from your body. Follow that with a good mid layer, in this case a woollen jersey, and top it off with rapha insulated brevet jacket and I was fine being outside for an entire day that averaged 1 degree Celsius. Brevet tights are also extremely warm, probably warmer than the pro team so good for longer more sedate rides but probably too hot for all our efforts unless it's below zero.