Tubeless tyre experiences.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Very good experience with Mavic Yksion Pro UST 28mm. Great wet and dry traction and they feel fast. Decent weight also. Durability is OK and the rear is starting to cut up now that I am riding them on wet grimy roads in winter.Mounting is so easy on Mavic or LightBicycle rims. A few strokes with a floor pump and poof they're nicely seated.

A question for those ride Vittoria Corsa Control TLR. How is the ride quality? Compared to a non TLR Corsa with latex tube? Or other supple clincher with latex tube?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naylor343

by naylor343

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:50 pm
Your posts are often unreadable due to typos/spelling and grammar issues. Can you please fix that?

Unreadable? Really? Get a grip man!

Some on here, as in this case, may be dyslexic, others are using a second language.

Stueys

by Stueys

I'm still running my Conti 5000 TL through winter. So far so good, wet grip seems to be good. Interested to see how they stand up to my winter UK country roads, which normally turn into a stone fest at this time of year

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

naylor343 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:49 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:50 pm
Your posts are often unreadable due to typos/spelling and grammar issues. Can you please fix that?

Unreadable? Really? Get a grip man!

Some on here, as in this case, may be dyslexic, others are using a second language.

It's been a reoccurring request from others as well because, yeah, some of his posts have been basically unreadable in the past. He never mentioned the dyslexia until now, only claiming it was mobile auto-correction and touchscreen issues before. My bad!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well the front tyre is now holding air much better. Did nothing with it but waited. 20 psi pressure drop overnight.

As for dyslexia, why should I mention it all the time. You need to get a grip THY.

Let me tell you what dyslexia means. You write something and errors creep in with typos, predictive text and the general inability to spell well. The main issues though is reading back. When you read back you just dont see the errors. The situation improves if I read back later and I do start editing posts after I have left it for a while. However to get all errors out is frankly difficult as I find it very difficult to pick up errors. thats what dyslexia is for me. its more in reading than in writing. My 7 year old daughter can read more fluently than I can.

I should not have to explain myself though. I wont again.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Deleted
Last edited by AnkitS on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Again this thread is not for those sort of questions. I cant continue to put in essentially a diary of running road tubeless tyres if it's being populated by general questions about tubeless tyres. The premise of the the thread was laid out clearly in the first post. Can contributions be in line with that or the readers will never get a full picture of what it like running road tubeless tyres (in east anglia/U.K in all the grime and filth we have over here) day in day out and what sort of problems are encountered and what the solutions are. Thats the premise and would help some people who pose these sorts of questions all the time.

Rear wheel back tomorrow. Corsa control TLR will be back in service on the rear wheel therefore. It seems to be holding air just fine again. All very odd.

dim

by dim

have you managed to fix your Royce hub?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes it's fixed.

AlanMorgan

by AlanMorgan

I built a winter bike in the summer using 32c Panaracer Gravel King tyres on Hunt Mason X rims. Very happy with the comfort, weight and rolling performance of the tyres at 60psi. However, I thought I'd share one experience. Last Saturday, on a group ride I suddenly found myself with a flat front tyre. Not wishing to hold up the group I fitted a tube and continued on (the Gravelkings are quite easy to fit to the rims). On getting home, I searched the tyre for a hole but couldn't find one. I refitted the tyre, added new sealant and looked for leaks. The tyre stayed up perfectly. I think what had happened was that I had hit a long pothole awkwardly which pulled the tyre bead away from the rim resulting in the loss of pressure. The Gravelkings have a pretty flexible sidewall which probably didn't help. Looks like I could have just given the flat tyre a blast of CO2 and been on my way even quicker...

Tychom

by Tychom

My introduction to tubeless was with Gravel King Mud 35c 'Tubeless Ready'. Didnt have an awful lot of luck with them though. Very porous, could see them seaping around the knobs, not only the sidewall. When full of sealant they would usualy be fine for a while but when low they'd just go flat pretty quickly.

Now on Schwalbe X-One Allround 35c and it's a different world entirely. They keep pressure without adding any sealant, don't lose any pressure at all and so far they just seem to work as tubeless is advertised to work.

Morkai

by Morkai

I'm 62 +/-2 kg.

3 sets of old Schwalbe Pro One 25mm (28mm measured) on Hunt 50CAD (hookless) with Schwalbe Doc Blue sealant.
Each set replaced before 4000 km. Lots of cuts at 3000 km and, especially rear, starting to square-off.
Mounting went easier every time. Dismounting was very hard everytime.
Some seated with normal pump, others needed a blast from the Schwalbe Tyre Booster.

Seems to leak the same amount of pressure with or without sealant (when first mounted I used to pump them to 6 bar and leave overnight without sealant).
Pressures ranging from 5.5 bar front/rear (first set) to 4.5 +/- 0.1 front, 4.8 +/- 0.2 rear (last set). Thanks to punctures the lowest pressure was like 2 bar in the front riding for 20km (that was the first set and the first puncture and I think not a lot of sealant left).
After 24h (including a 50-100km ride) pressures could be down up by 0.5 bar. Down to 3 bar after two weeks of not riding. I'm pumping both tyres before every ride.

All punctures sealed. I used to ride for 1 to 2 weeks after a sealed puncture before using a worm due to laziness and punctures would reopen during rides. Seems that pressure must go down below 4 bar to seal. If a puncture seals during a ride don't leave your bike in the sun if you stop to refill the water bottles :oops:

I'm currently on Vittoria Corsa Control G2.0 TLR 28mm (28mm measured) on bike ahead composites biturboRoad (hooked) with Orange Seal.
Clocking in at 2500 km. One puncture in the rear and apart from that zero cuts.

Mounting the tyres was not hard after developing a technique with levers :D Dismounting is trivial compared to the Pro Ones on the Hunts. In fact I had to remove a tyre a day after the first mount (still without sealant) and during removal of air the tyre unseated (which seems dangerous if you lose a lot of pressure during a puncture), but recently during a sealant refill I've removed all air and tyres didn't unseat.
Without sealant they lost all pressure after few hours. With sealant the same as the Pro Ones - losing up to 0.5 bar after the first 24h.

The puncture was not a cool experience compared to the Pro Ones: https://youtu.be/bNLNfykIdMY
Lost pretty much all sealant to seal only after the pressure went down to 1 bar... Rode slowly, standing with weight on the front tyre into the headwind at 6*C for 23 km.
I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw the cut like a week before the puncture (but without any pressure loss) so it could be that it punctured because something got into the existing cut again and punctured the tyre.
Plugged it with a maxalami worm and now can feel little bumps when riding on smooth roads because it is in the middle of the tyre.

I'm looking forward to the next puncture just to see if it seals faster or not and to practice the worm installation :P

Currently my field repair kit consists of a mobile phone and thankfully I didn't have to use it in 15k km on tubeless, but if I had to make one it would be a maxalami worm or two and the worm installation thingy and a minipump. With a spare tube it would be a tube, 6mm hex to remove the wheel and a minipump but it would be faster for me to call for a pickup than to install a tube in the tubeless tyre considering that I ride within 50km radius of my home.

Tubeless is cool when it works and the bigger the tyre the better it works :smartass:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

'Royce hub working again. Cliff had to fix it as a collapsed bearing (a cheap one I fitted as a stop gap in the freehub blew up causing a cascade of problems and damage) as it need his tool to repair the damaged Ti freehub.

So Corsa control back on the rear at 11407km. 727km on the front tyre and 367km on the rear.

Lost alot of air this morning as well from the rear tyre (slowly from 70 psi when I left home to 20 psi when I got to the shop after 26km). I checked the tyre and it had punctured. There was some sealant leaking but not much. Another 40 ml of Caffelatex injected to see if that cures it without a plug.

akaspin

by akaspin

After two sealant showers, poor air hold and constant pain with top-up I have only two words for road tubeless: "no" and "never".

For me the solution is TPU tubes. I'm using Revoloop. They light and holds air better than butil. Also I noticed that after some time the tubes becomes more smooth and flexy. My weight is 75 kg and I'm rolling with low pressure as possible. No pitch flats.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Reveloops seems very interesting! Insane light. How do you find puncture resistance and ride comfort? PITA to install?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com