Tubeless tyre experiences.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This thread is to cover experiences with various tubeless tyres over the next few years. Please can this thread be left to the experience had running tyres till they are worn out. This is not a thread for armchair "advise" or even tubeless tyre questions. There are plenty of threads for those. I will document over the next few years all the experience I have with the various tubeless tyres I will be using.

The bike I am starting off with (there are 4 road bikes with tubeless tyres the other 17 use tubs) my main bike at the moment- traitor exile rim brake. Guards are fitted. It weighs 12kg with a rack. There is one or two panniers mounted most days and some or alot of load. Bike weight is normally 14 to 18kg but it can be higher. The rims are pacenti sl23. I weigh 88 kg kitted up.

Currently fitted this week are Vittoria corsa control 25mm. Any tyre used will be run till it has worn out or killed.

The corsa control tyres once mounted inflated to sit 25mm wide. Inflating the rear required compressed air. A charge of compressed air did not inflate the front. A co2 cartridge was needed. Soapy water was used and two layers of tea 4289 tape. The tyres remained seated with the valve core removed. Sealant was added after the tyre was seated.

Early days in the corsa controls. The front is leaking 40 psi a day. I hope this resolves itself. It's not the tape or the valve. Maybe the valve core is leaking. I'll change that tomorrow. The rear is leaking 20 psi over three days.

It's quite wet in the uk at the moment. The wet grip is very good. The tyres are noisy though. They dont feel fast but I would not call them slow either. As and when problems arise I will post them. Each tyre will have starting mileage and finish mileage recorded. Over time as each tyre is tried out will all get to see which tyre is the most reliable.

Mileage (km) when tyres fitted 10680.

I dont want this thread to become a tubeless or not thread. Neither do I want opinions expressed. I will keep my posts to the basics, how long a tyre last, puncture got with pics and how they have been fixed.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well the corsa control tlr experience is not going well. Front and rear tyres are leaking through the sidewall. The rear is now worse than the front in that it dropped today by 60 psi over an hour on today's club run. I'll swap tyres now and try another one. However back to IRC for now as today the rear wheel with the Vittoria had a bearing/freehub failure. It's a Royce hub and while it was fine when when I overhauled it a couple of weeks ago, the ntn freehub bearing which were new have failed along with the freehub pawl springs. The main shell bearing has been damaged as a result along with the three pawls which have also damaged the titanium freehub body. Only got 300km out of the tyres and about 700km from set of NTN bearings. Luckily I did not get stranded.

So IRC formula pro x guard 28mm rear and IRC formula pro rbcc 25mm front are the new tyres on spare wheels. I'll the corsa controls again once I have the rear hub fixed.

Eventful ride. Also a driver neatly killed me today.

Pic of the leaking tyre.

upload image online

by Weenie

dim

by dim

what sealant are you using?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’ve mounted 7 Corsa/Corsa Control G2.0 TLRs and none of them ever wept sealant. Using Orange Seal of course.

IIRC bm0p700f uses Caffelatex.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryanw

by ryanw

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:29 pm
I’ve mounted 7 Corsa/Corsa Control G2.0 TLRs and none of them are ever wept sealant. Using Orange Seal of course.

IIRC bm0p700f uses Caffelatex.
I've also mounted a few (six) Corsa TLR's and all been perfect (using Silca valves, Orange Seal & Tesa tape)...

Dropping 60psi in an hour must be due to something other than sidewall seep?
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6,650g RIP
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 - 7,170g
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7,460g

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds :thumbup:

:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£445 for 7 Nights* :!:

dim

by dim

looking at the photo .... perhaps the rim is dented or the tyre is not fitted properly? .... look carefully at the top part of the rim (in line with the valve)

if bm0p700f uses Caffelatex sealant and it's seeping out of the sidewalls, the Caffelatex will not seal punctures (I also only use Orange sealant ... the regular version)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The rim is not dented. Its losing air from the sidewall. I thought at first I was the valve collar being loose but sorting that and reinflating after the cafe stop did not solve the issue. One I inflated with co2 the hissing sound was from the sidewall.

I can try orange seal tomorrow while that might work new tyre should seal up with any sealant. If a tyre requires a particular brand of sealant to seal then that's not going to help sales. It could just be a dodgy tyre. Once the hub is repaired I will resume using the tyre if it seals or fit another one. I like the grip they offer. I want to see how how durable they are.

Bloody hub though, it's not clear what failed first, probably a spring then cascade.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

It seems to be very tiny holes, normally any good sealant should plug them, I've seen tires with quite porous sidewalls that leaked similarly at first during setup but, a bit of spinning and wheel shaking once inflated should make them seal for good.

I tend to think your sealant might be more to blame than the tire unless there is a huge cut somewhere, but that would be quite obvious.

Maybe the sealant is too old (even if it's not that old to you, maybe it sat in a shop or on a shelf at the brand's distributor for years?)... or it wasn't shaken at all before pouring it in so the sealing particules are still at the bottom of the bottle and you only poured liquid that's just there to bring the sealing particule to the holes.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The CO2 froze the sealant and ruined it.

Start over and re-tape, get the valve nice and set, and clean the dried goo off the tire.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What part of the leak is from the sidewalls is hard to understand. The taping is fine.

Actually the front tyre pressure loss has eased and the rear inflated this morning to 80 psi without leaking so what ever the problem is seems to be easing. So there is nothing wrong with the sealant. It survived co2 use. Once the wheel is repaired I will resume using the wheel and Vittoria tyres. They actually did quite well on a muddy gravel road yesterday providing more traction than I expected.

So this thread is not for others to chip in with there advise. This thread is solely to document the experience with a variety of tubeless tyres over the next few years including the mileage got from each.

That's it. That way when problems are encountered readers can see how they are solved. If people keep chipping I will ask for the thread to be locked and deleted. As this forum is full of co fusing threads about what to do with tubeless tyres and to sort problems. I am trying to keep the opinion out of this. Therefore no more helpful advise please. Sometimes with tubeless which is what I am trying to show patience and seeing what happens instead of ripping everything apart is what's needed.

I will monitor the pressure loss over the next few days and if it does not reduce to normal then I will change sealant and not a moment before.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rear corsa control removed at 11040km. I'm keeping the front on for now. I'll record the mileage when the wheel is put in again. Small update. After a few hours the rear tyre air loss has dropped to a trickle. No idea why it became porous and then stopped being do. First time fir everything.

One thing I will note over the last 400km of wet back roads there are no cuts in the front or rear corsa control tyres. So that's a good start.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Your posts are often unreadable due to typos/spelling and grammar issues. Can you please fix that?

Cuts will start appearing over time, just as with all other tires. I have 6300km on my rear 30mm and it’s about done. May I ask why Orange Seal isn’t your sealant of choice? It confuses me when people with access to it would use anything else.

Tychom

by Tychom

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:50 pm
May I ask why Orange Seal isn’t your sealant of choice? It confuses me when people with access to it would use anything else.
Costs twice the price of alternatives (Caffelatex, Stans..) here in Europe.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'm dyslexic. Can you fix that?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'm dyslexic. Can you fix that? Then predictive text compounds those errors and makes more of them.

Sealant choice discussion is for other threads.

by Weenie