LUCK semi-custom shoes experience, Bont's mismatch

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Joe Jackson Approved* Cycling Shoes...

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-b9LK1trE

First ride impressions are great.

I feel significantly more planted to the pedals, more powerful, especially out of the saddle.

Workmanship is great, impressive.

Alex and I nailed the fit, which I'm sure will only improve further after a few rides to break them in.

My only disappointment is with the weight. No, they are not full on boat anchors but did come in a good bit over what I was hoping for with lace ups and given the really light weight they quote online (probably for size 38 or something).

My Bonts, inclusive of cleats and G8 inserts ran 680 grams.

These LUCK's with the same set up hit 800 grams on the scale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Wow that's quite amazing, my pair weighs 632g with boa dials only...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:39 am
Wow that's quite amazing, my pair weighs 632g with boa dials only...

632g with cleats?

That's great.

What size?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

No cleats, 44.5US Image

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Does anyone remember how long it took from the time of payment to delivery? Quote your location

Luck is quoting 2-3wks at the moment

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:25 pm
Does anyone remember how long it took from the time of payment to delivery? Quote your location

Luck is quoting 2-3wks at the moment
For my custom order it was about three weeks for them to be produced and then maybe a week and a half for them to arrive from Spain to the USA.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Having mismatch size feet, i thought that maybe Luck shoes will be an option..

I used chat to contact them, and first i was interested in models, and Dials for adjusting.. I asked if the Dials are microadjustable both ways, or need to reset if u need to untight them (like on lower grade Boa's). Unfortunately they need to reset if u want to release the dial a little bit.. Anyway, i said my self ok, if they are custom maybe no so important (im used of my Gaerne G.Stilo G+ shoes and boa there).. Another question i asked was warranty of dials considering the fact that BOA have unlimited warranty and they last for me about 15000 km (i just send e-mail to BOA and got replacament for free). 2 years warranty and they offer to send me pair extra.. So far fair enough..

And then i start asking about price..

For shoes here we have from 15% to 25% Customs and on top of that 18% VAT.. So shoes i was interested about (P40 or Z40) was 262 Eur without VAT + 50 EUR UPS Shipping (they insisted on UPS shipping and not willing to use regular post even works perfectly). For Eu countries UPS shipping is 30 eur.. Which mean: 262+50 EUR = 312 EUR

Add 25% VAT = 390 EUR + VAT 18% = 460 EUR.. Then another 15 eur of UPS services = 475 EUR

So i asked if he is willing to ship to some EU Country and to combine with some of my travels.. Ussually that way when i exit the EU got the stamp on border for Tax Refund, send the papers and got that Refund.. Done that many times.. Totaly legal..

In this case price will be about 320EUR + 30 eur UPS = 350 EUR - Tax Refund = 275 .. Which is 200 eur difference with 475 eur..

But guy from Luck shoes not interested at all, even i send that kind of papers as example from bike-discount.de (they have it on their site). They even start beeing rude and just stopped the chat.. With explanation they'll just send them and not willing anything else regarding papers.. And he stopped the chat: No good bye.. No thank u.. Nothing :) Unbelivable..

Ok, today i asked local customs and they explain me for shoes Custom is 15-25%, but if there is paper with stamp from exporter who is declaring the product is Made In Eu (Just peace of paper with stamp), then no custom at all.. 0

Which mean 262 EUR + 50 eur shipping = 312 EUR. + 18% Tax = 372 EUR + 15 eur UPS Service = 387 EUR (again almost 100 eur lower then 475 eur).> Again totaly legal.. Again just a peace of paper and willing to do it..

I contact Luck again today, trying to explain this, even found this declaration as example to send them.. They were rude.. He just said: Im willing to send them only, no extra papers and quit the chat again..

LUCK SHoes.. Good luck with that relationship with customers.. I'll just spend my money on extra pair of Gaerne shoes which at least have Unlimited warranty BOA's and im sure they will fit and beeing very high quality.... And if they are not willing to just consider this totaly simple and legal paperwork, then i can imagine what will happen if something is wrong with the shoes or some kind of warranty....

Im totaly dissapointed from this relation....Even i can say, im ordering parts from 90's.. I never ever had this kind of relation until now.. Worst experience ever...

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Finalizing my order here...

Is 3-5mm allowance on my shoes, are these enough for when your feet swells?

Currently wear about 1-1.5cm bigger than my actual measurement (Shimano Wide). I believe I can still size down while not choking my feet when it swells

I'm not sure how their shoes fit

Thanks

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Currently wear about 1-1.5cm bigger than my actual measurement (Shimano Wide). I believe I can still size down while not choking my feet when it swells

Thanks
I believe I allowed 5mm extra and it's not too much.

The fit is snug, but not too snug, although I would not want it any tighter.

If you are getting leather they will mold more in time, so that's something to keep in mind.

With a synthetic upper, I'd probably allow for a little more room.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:19 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks
I believe I allowed 5mm extra and it's not too much.

The fit is snug, but not too snug, although I would not want it any tighter.

If you are getting leather they will mold more in time, so that's something to keep in mind.

With a synthetic upper, I'd probably allow for a little more room.
Here's where I'm at

My right foot will have extra 5mm
My left foot will have extra 3mm

Just MAYBE my right will be fine, just the left I'm concerned with. Im thinking of getting a perforated version, no bottom vents, no idea if they can move the cleat position further middle of the foot than usual

Can someone with ATOP version chime in with their experiences in the retention? I love my 2 straps+buckle right now but it's tough during winter when it's covered with my shoe covers. This solves a problem for me.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Made my order. A little woozy on the price but it's my first taste of anything customized in cycling. Hoping it works out for me.

How long does it take for them to finalize drawings? They had an initial one but said they wont proceed any further without a purchase(understandably, they dont wanna do the work without a sale)

upacs

by upacs

Brief note on my personal experience. I have had no end of issues with my feet. Tried Specialized, NorthWave, Mavic, Shimano... nothing seemed to work. My feet are too wide at the front, and too narrow at the heel.

A few years ago I had a last made with Luck (cost €200 IIRC) and since then I have ordered three pairs of shoes (one winter, one summer, one mtb). All have been so comfortable I wish they made regular dressing shoes.

For delivery I once had them delivered to a hotel in Mallorca where I was staying, and another I ordered through a bike shop in mainland Spain where I knew I would return a couple of months later. I don't remember how I got the third pair.

What I do know is that I will be ordering some new ones for this season.

The only downside if that sometimes I get asked "why do your shoes say luck on them"? :lol:

g32ecs

by g32ecs

upacs wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Brief note on my personal experience. I have had no end of issues with my feet. Tried Specialized, NorthWave, Mavic, Shimano... nothing seemed to work. My feet are too wide at the front, and too narrow at the heel.

A few years ago I had a last made with Luck (cost €200 IIRC) and since then I have ordered three pairs of shoes (one winter, one summer, one mtb). All have been so comfortable I wish they made regular dressing shoes.

For delivery I once had them delivered to a hotel in Mallorca where I was staying, and another I ordered through a bike shop in mainland Spain where I knew I would return a couple of months later. I don't remember how I got the third pair.

What I do know is that I will be ordering some new ones for this season.

The only downside if that sometimes I get asked "why do your shoes say luck on them"? :lol:
Mind posting your pairs?

Vermu

by Vermu

3Pio wrote:Having mismatch size feet, i thought that maybe Luck shoes will be an option..

I used chat to contact them, and first i was interested in models, and Dials for adjusting.. I asked if the Dials are microadjustable both ways, or need to reset if u need to untight them (like on lower grade Boa's). Unfortunately they need to reset if u want to release the dial a little bit.. Anyway, i said my self ok, if they are custom maybe no so important (im used of my Gaerne G.Stilo G+ shoes and boa there).. Another question i asked was warranty of dials considering the fact that BOA have unlimited warranty and they last for me about 15000 km (i just send e-mail to BOA and got replacament for free). 2 years warranty and they offer to send me pair extra.. So far fair enough..

For shoes here we have from 15% to 25% Customs and on top of that 18% VAT.. So shoes i was interested about (P40 or Z40) was 262 Eur without VAT + 50 EUR UPS Shipping (they insisted on UPS shipping and not willing to use regular post even works perfectly). For Eu countries UPS shipping is 30 eur.. Which mean: 262+50 EUR = 312 EUR

Add 25% VAT = 390 EUR + VAT 18% = 460 EUR.. Then another 15 eur of UPS services = 475 EUR

So i asked if he is willing to ship to some EU Country and to combine with some of my travels.. Ussually that way when i exit the EU got the stamp on border for Tax Refund, send the papers and got that Refund.. Done that many times.. Totaly legal..

In this case price will be about 320EUR + 30 eur UPS = 350 EUR - Tax Refund = 275 .. Which is 200 eur difference with 475 eur..

But guy from Luck shoes not interested at all, even i send that kind of papers as example from bike-discount.de (they have it on their site). They even start beeing rude and just stopped the chat.. With explanation they'll just send them and not willing anything else regarding papers.. And he stopped the chat: No good bye.. No thank u.. Nothing :) Unbelivable..

Ok, today i asked local customs and they explain me for shoes Custom is 15-25%, but if there is paper with stamp from exporter who is declaring the product is Made In Eu (Just peace of paper with stamp), then no custom at all.. 0

Which mean 262 EUR + 50 eur shipping = 312 EUR. + 18% Tax = 372 EUR + 15 eur UPS Service = 387 EUR (again almost 100 eur lower then 475 eur).> Again totaly legal.. Again just a peace of paper and willing to do it..

I contact Luck again today, trying to explain this, even found this declaration as example to send them.. They were rude.. He just said: Im willing to send them only, no extra papers and quit the chat again..

LUCK SHoes.. Good luck with that relationship with customers.. I'll just spend my money on extra pair of Gaerne shoes which at least have Unlimited warranty BOA's and im sure they will fit and beeing very high quality.... And if they are not willing to just consider this totaly simple and legal paperwork, then i can imagine what will happen if something is wrong with the shoes or some kind of warranty....

Im totaly dissapointed from this relation....Even i can say, im ordering parts from 90's.. I never ever had this kind of relation until now.. Worst experience ever...
Seen this with other spanisgh companies. Really helpfull amd doing the extra mile. Until there’s something extra, a bit too much work or not something they know how to do and response it what happened above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

Vermu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:01 am
3Pio wrote:Having mismatch size feet, i thought that maybe Luck shoes will be an option..

Seen this with other spanisgh companies. Really helpfull amd doing the extra mile. Until there’s something extra, a bit too much work or not something they know how to do and response it what happened above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I understund that sometimes they just dont have experience regarding paperworks etc (which is also not ok, it's just quick call to accountant or something, but ok..) so that why i provide link with tax refund example (on bike-discount.de), and also offered to send copy of EU Origin paper....

But the guy from the other side was just rude and not interested at all... I would never ever give my money to such an attitude.. It's show big disrespect to customer, and show that in the case of some problems he wont be interested for any help or somethig...

Anyway, seem that i'll solve my problem with Gaerne shoes...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com