LUCK semi-custom shoes experience, Bont's mismatch

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Anyone have experience with their newer models? I normally get Genius since I can get those custom printed but the newer ones look nice.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Vermu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:01 am
3Pio wrote:
Seen this with other spanisgh companies. Really helpfull amd doing the extra mile. Until there’s something extra, a bit too much work or not something they know how to do and response it what happened above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just saw this. See my story above.

Makes me nervous now, but keeping it positive that it'll turn out great that I'll just forget about it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

RyanH wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:33 am
Anyone have experience with their newer models? I normally get Genius since I can get those custom printed but the newer ones look nice.
As I first reported, I'm very happy with my pair and feel more connected to the pedals than ever before. This is probably my 7th or 8th pair of cycling shoes spanning the last decade of serious riding and definitely my favorite, best fitting and performing thus far.

My only real complaint as mentioned previously is the weight. They are not boat anchors but did come in a good bit over what was advertised.

I complained the weights noted online must have been for a size 38 and were a misrepresentation to buyers. They relented and removed the quoted weight on the site altogether.

This said, I'll gladly trade the 78 grams or so per shoe for such a big performance and fit upgrade.

3Pio

by 3Pio

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:25 am
Vermu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:01 am
3Pio wrote:
Seen this with other spanisgh companies. Really helpfull amd doing the extra mile. Until there’s something extra, a bit too much work or not something they know how to do and response it what happened above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just saw this. See my story above.

Makes me nervous now, but keeping it positive that it'll turn out great that I'll just forget about it

Wish u luck :) . And probably will end fine i guess.. At my case with that behaviour it was not possible.. I even tried to explain him that there is other riding buddies also interested based on my experience.. But no.. Rude, arogant.. And cant understund that quitting the chat :) all of the sudden.. Like he is insulted asking those legal papers which can save a lot of money and cost nothing..

And it was not my job to teach them about TAX Free form (which is totaly legal and which can help him sell more pairs in non EU customers), or Paper that show EU Origin (im Engineer not lawyer or accountant). I just wanted to help and had empathy that maybe he dont have experience with this, but will at least appreciate since he can use the same to other curstomers.. But no.. Arogant, Rude is not the way i appreciate and wont spend anything there..

Anyway im really satisfied with my Gaerne shoes (own two pairs, on first pair i have about 16000 km and still like new, second pair is brand new). So seem that i'll be able to find left smaller size of new model to match my left feet, and will solve the problem that way.. They dont have problems with Tax Free papers, no problems with EU Origin paper (dont need to research on my own and to send any examples or something). And coming with BOA's which i can adjust both direction in the fly (without needing to reset if i want to untighten them as i got explanation on Luck shoes). Also Boa's here coming with unlimited warranty directly from BOA (i used this twice on my previous Specialized S-Works shoes). This was for me other big issue with Luck shoes beside the attitude (i want to be able to adjust my shoes in the fly. For example i untightnen them a little bit on some easy parts, then tighthen on hill, attack or something.. And prefer this without needing to release totally (like on Luck shoes), then tighten from there)....

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, seem that im fixing my problem with Gaerne Shoes (G.Stilo)

I'll be able to order left 42.5 and right in 43 size.. Also found someone interested to buy my brand new 43 size so i'll order another pair in 42.5 left and 43 right size (so i'll have two same pairs and will solve my problem long term i hope)

Now other decision i have to make :) Should i order both pairs in same black colour (so be able to mix them in the case of damage or something), or order one pair in black other in blue

Blue: http://www.gaerne.com/cycling/en/artico ... tilo/blue/

Black: http://www.gaerne.com/cycling/en/artico ... ilo/black/

If someone else is interested in Gaerne different sizes in one pair , i'll provide where i bought mine and will show pictures as soon as i get them... They promise me that they can do in in regular way (and not too much more expensive than regular pair), so this look like another option beside going fully custom and for much cheaper...

upacs

by upacs

g32ecs wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 pm
Mind posting your pairs?
Hi g32ecs

Sorry for the late reply... life and all that :roll:

From left to right:
  • Voltage winter shoes, orderd in 2015
  • Start 3.0 summer road shoes, ordered in 2015
  • Rex mountain bike shoes, ordered in 2016
These are old models now, so I don't think you'll find them on their catalogue. They are well worn by now, I do about 15,000 Km per year.

Was thinking or ordering a new set of summer road shoes, but now I'm waiting for this virus mess to clear, as the factory is likely shut anyway

g32ecs

by g32ecs

upacs wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:56 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 pm
Mind posting your pairs?
Hi g32ecs

Sorry for the late reply... life and all that :roll:

From left to right:
  • Voltage winter shoes, orderd in 2015
  • Start 3.0 summer road shoes, ordered in 2015
  • Rex mountain bike shoes, ordered in 2016
These are old models now, so I don't think you'll find them on their catalogue. They are well worn by now, I do about 15,000 Km per year.

Was thinking or ordering a new set of summer road shoes, but now I'm waiting for this virus mess to clear, as the factory is likely shut anyway

No worries!

I've been using mine for 2 weeks now. I honestly think this is still tight at about 5mm narrower thany measurement width and lengthwise.

Another issue I have is the ATOP. Is it just me or this thing loosens as you ride? More testing is needed, but I cant recall my other BOA shoes loosening.

Not sure if I have any recourse. I didnt want to complain without any use. I don't want to return, but can they re-do it? I have an issue with the width more than the length.

Otherwise, the finish is A+. Felt like it's well made - feels solid. Now I know that my previous shoes were 1cm long. Weight wise it's so-so, 532g for a size 38.5 pair. I'm looking to change pedals this year as well (SP user) to see if there's any difference in power transfer, but so far I've broken some PRs this past 2 wks without any structured training so I guess that's a good sign? Who knows.

Overall, I'm on the fence about my experience and the shoes. Perhaps 7-8/10, maybe if it was $100 cheaper considering the quirks I'm having at the moment.

upacs

by upacs

g32ecs wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm
No worries!

I've been using mine for 2 weeks now. I honestly think this is still tight at about 5mm narrower thany measurement width and lengthwise.

Another issue I have is the ATOP. Is it just me or this thing loosens as you ride? More testing is needed, but I cant recall my other BOA shoes loosening.

Not sure if I have any recourse. I didnt want to complain without any use. I don't want to return, but can they re-do it? I have an issue with the width more than the length.

Otherwise, the finish is A+. Felt like it's well made - feels solid. Now I know that my previous shoes were 1cm long. Weight wise it's so-so, 532g for a size 38.5 pair. I'm looking to change pedals this year as well (SP user) to see if there's any difference in power transfer, but so far I've broken some PRs this past 2 wks without any structured training so I guess that's a good sign? Who knows.

Overall, I'm on the fence about my experience and the shoes. Perhaps 7-8/10, maybe if it was $100 cheaper considering the quirks I'm having at the moment.
I remember the summer road shoes (middle ones) felt a bit tight when I first got them, but they wore in. The MTB shoes I specifically asked them to put a sock over the last to make it, and it came out perfect. The first ones, the winter shoes, were perfect from day one.

Never had a problem with them working loose

No idea if they would redo them. I can see that working out quite expensive for them if it was their policy, as they would have to effectively throw away the shoes they've already made for you. But you better ask.

The last shoes I had before switching to Luck were some Specialized BG ones. Out of everything I tried they were the ones that caused least amount of pain. But even then, after 2hrs of riding I had to stop and take my feet out for 10 minutes to let blood flow again, and from then on it was a 5/10 minute stop every hour. I still have those shoes, but they are only used for indoor training now, where after 2hrs I start feeling suicidal anyway so sore feet are the least of my worries :lol:

g32ecs

by g32ecs

upacs wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm
No worries!

I remember the summer road shoes (middle ones) felt a bit tight when I first got them, but they wore in. The MTB shoes I specifically asked them to put a sock over the last to make it, and it came out perfect. The first ones, the winter shoes, were perfect from day one.

Never had a problem with them working loose

No idea if they would redo them. I can see that working out quite expensive for them if it was their policy, as they would have to effectively throw away the shoes they've already made for you. But you better ask.

The last shoes I had before switching to Luck were some Specialized BG ones. Out of everything I tried they were the ones that caused least amount of pain. But even then, after 2hrs of riding I had to stop and take my feet out for 10 minutes to let blood flow again, and from then on it was a 5/10 minute stop every hour. I still have those shoes, but they are only used for indoor training now, where after 2hrs I start feeling suicidal anyway so sore feet are the least of my worries :lol:

Im hoping with a bit more wear they become comfortable. Starting my rides with the cinch a bit still loose and when the hammer's dropped then I could tighten (last thing I'm thinking about are my feet)

The material they used on mine are like the ones on your furthest right. I hope they have a bit of give in them as time passes.

Oh, 1 more good thing just to be fair : initially I thought the heal cup was uncomfortable, but it is only when youre pedalling when it becomes comfortable. It's shaped to the pedalling motion, not when you're standing up. I'm here realizing how loose was the heal cup on my previous shoes, but then again I already mentioned they were a cm longer.

kdawg

by kdawg

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:00 am
kdawg wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 pm
Can they move the cleat position on their soles? - I've never been more comfortable than since I redrilled the holes in my Bont shoes. I've been looking at Luck but if they couldn't go further back (I need about 10mm) that would be a deal breaker.
Just drop them a line and ask, Kdawg.

They are very responsive and accomidating from everything I've seen and heard.
Finally got round to asking - and they can't move the cleat position.

I still think I'll get a pair though - part of my problem is I have to size up to get enough width so that puts the holes too far forward so their special wide ones should be better.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Yoln

by Yoln

Would anybody have more feedback on the stiffness of their soles? It looks like the first commment mentioned pretty flexible soles. Is there any very stiff carbon options?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

kdawg

by kdawg

The more expensive models have carbon soles - and some even have a choice of 3 stiffness levels.

I've just ordered a pair - but in the middle of the range.

I'll let you know in 6 weeks or so.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

eeney

by eeney

Hey, I'm close to buying Luck custom Genius shoes and intersted in feedback:

[*] I've had Bont wide and Lake wide. Bont are too narrow and unforgiving, Lake just don't suit my foot shape (feel weird) and have a narrow toebox (even their widest shoes).
[*] I've wide forefeet and square'ish toes, according to the Lake sizing they're 5mm too narrow, but Luck tell me not to worry
[*] Size wise, are Lake comparable to Lake/Bont, I'm 41 in Lake and 42 in Bont (I'd probably up-size to 42 Lake due to the narrow toebox). Luck are advising me to go 40.5... do Luck fit slightly bigger than Bont and/or Lake?
[*] I'm down to Bont semi-custom dbl wide, or Lake Special Wide L. Bont are more expensive but with more customisation options around size, however Bont are very unforgiving with the carbon sides, and Luck have much more attractive designs

Any feedback on the real life width versus the Luck size chart, and the sizing compared to Lake/Bont would be super helpful.

After so long struggling to find shoes I'm worried about size and width.

jlok

by jlok

I jump between Lake and Bont. Their size charts are spot on. The problem is that we don't know where the widest points of the shoe are located, i.e. how far are they measured from the toe tip? It is critical to Bont shoes as the insole is super stiff / unforgiving.

I finally settled on two pair of shoes: Bont full custom Vaypor+ and Lake CX201. Both pair of shoes fit me in different and obvious ways.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

RyanH

by RyanH

@eeney I have 2.5 pairs of Bont Vaypor S and two pairs of Luck Genius. While the Bonts are unique on their feel and feel lighter in the hand (it's a 40 or 50g difference per pair), I prefer my Luck. On my Bont, I had to go Double Wide on the left shoe and regular wide on the right.

I have 45 in Bont but this is my last order with Luck:

Genius - Details : Color: Genius Blanco
Left foot size: 44
Right foot size: 43.5
Left shoe last: Red
Right shoe last: Red
Left foot metatarsus: Special wide
Right foot metatarsus: Special wide
Left foot: Without correction
Left foot: 0º
Right foot: Without correction
Right foot: 0º
Left raised sole: Without raised insole
Right raised sole: Without raised insole

So, size is smaller than Bont but I'm either a half size or a full size more than what Luck's size chart says. I think Bont size chart says 44.5 for me but I have pinch points with that size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com