LUCK semi-custom shoes experience, Bont's mismatch

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

I'm considering going the LUCK semi-custom route after riding in Bont Vapor S shoes for the last couple years and interested to hear comments from those who know about the LUCK shoes. https://luck-bike.es/en/road-shoes-23#/page-2

I've got a wide forefoot, 114mm, and length is asymetric by about a half size with the right being 287, and the left at 282.

My compromise has been the Bont's in a size 46 wide, heat moulded out as wide as possible (which still is a touch narrow). On the left, the 46 leaves me with excess length, thus my delima in going up to 46.5's to gain width.

I do know that Bont will make you mismatched sizes. So, a 46.5 only for the right is a consideration.

All said, the LUCK's are appealing in their own ways but there is not a lot of discussion and general feedback on them to be found online, especially in regards to how effective their semi-custom sizing system works in the real world.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

My experience with them is great, they are super quick to exchange a whole bunch of emails with me throughout. You take measurements according to the guide on the order form, and they will take the effort to look through it to make sure that it 'makes sense'. I didn't do the measurement right the first time round and they asked me to redo it plus take photos of my foot and I really appreciate the attention to detail.

Then of course for the price you get to customise the looks. Again, great help from them; I showed them a picture of an idea that I wanted in a different colour scheme, they sent me a sketch up, and it was good enough for me.

The fit was great eventually. The sole don't feel very stiff and looks like nylon actually. The shoe sole is very well ventilated so that might contribute to the sense that it lacks stiffness, but when I'm riding I don't feel it at all. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:11 pm
My experience with them is great, they are super quick to exchange a whole bunch of emails with me throughout. You take measurements according to the guide on the order form, and they will take the effort to look through it to make sure that it 'makes sense'. I didn't do the measurement right the first time round and they asked me to redo it plus take photos of my foot and I really appreciate the attention to detail.

Then of course for the price you get to customise the looks. Again, great help from them; I showed them a picture of an idea that I wanted in a different colour scheme, they sent me a sketch up, and it was good enough for me.

The fit was great eventually. The sole don't feel very stiff and looks like nylon actually. The shoe sole is very well ventilated so that might contribute to the sense that it lacks stiffness, but when I'm riding I don't feel it at all. ImageImageImageImage

Can you fix the pictures? Says not found. Also, what model is it?

Looking to get one done for next summer as well. My feet are EEE.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:11 pm

The fit was great eventually. The sole don't feel very stiff and looks like nylon actually. The shoe sole is very well ventilated so that might contribute to the sense that it lacks stiffness, but when I'm riding I don't feel it at all.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've exchanged several emails with Alejandro there, really nice fellow, but we can't quite come to agreement on the last I need. He is recommending the "black", after initially recommending the green in special wide. The black shows a listed width of 108 metatarsal, so I'm concerned how it will be wide enough for me with a foot measuring 114.

I'm so accustomed to the "tub" style of the Bont sole I suppose, but want to get it spot on if I go for these as custom is not returnable nor resellable.

alanyu

by alanyu

Luck's origin shoe last is totally different from Bont's, which means they can't be both fit your foot shape in the same high level. Does their semi-custom include the last shape custom? If not, maybe try Lake's extra wide first, which has a similar last shape to Luck's.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

alanyu wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 pm
Luck's origin shoe last is totally different from Bont's, which means they can't be both fit your foot shape in the same high level. Does their semi-custom include the last shape custom? If not, maybe try Lake's extra wide first, which has a similar last shape to Luck's.
I've tried Lake previously and didn't get on with them nearly as well as I expected to. Great finish, but the sole didn't suit me and I sold them as gently used after only a couple rides and bought another pair of Bont's thereafter.

I was using a different footbed at the time, have been using the G8 the past couple years and really like it, but don't know if it would make much difference.

I'm overall quite happy with Bont's shoes, just need them wider than their wide in my size and not willing to shell out $1000+ for their full custom.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

My shoe model is the Genius btw, non-perforated.

I was previously using a pair of Bont Vaypor S as well, the bathtub sole felt super solid but beyond 70-80km I'll get hotpots at the side, and it's kinda impossible to heat-mould that area further out.

Frisco

by Frisco

I have a pair of wide Luck laced road shoes and they are very comfortable. I find them to be a much better fit than Bont. The only issue with mine was that the sole heel cap wasn’t glued well, fell off during the first ride and needed to be replaced.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Frisco wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 am
I have a pair of wide Luck laced road shoes and they are very comfortable. I find them to be a much better fit than Bont. The only issue with mine was that the sole heel cap wasn’t glued well, fell off during the first ride and needed to be replaced.
I was actually looking at the laced too, either the Escape or Voltage.

Did you do the custom fit for your wides?

On3

by On3

I can totally find myself in Kayrehn review.

Bought mine at the end of summer '17. I was looking for real wide shoes (because of Morton's neuroma caused by too narrow cycling shoes) and I wasn't disappointed.
To sum it up:

- Great communication with team (lot of emails about sizing first, then about design customization). They don't hesitate to give you advice or to question your measurements if they feel something is strange.
- Great sizing once received. Really confortable. First time I tried them I really felt I was wearing slippers.
- Good feeling wearing them (not too loose, not too stiff too). No foot pain anymore during ride (with dedicated inner soles for -very- high archs bought separatly).
- I would have prefered BOA over ATOP, as ATOP tends to loose a bit during ride but nothing too serious here.

Also got Genius (perforated, with perforated sole too as summer can be really hot here) model here.

Frisco

by Frisco

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote: I was actually looking at the laced too, either the Escape or Voltage.

Did you do the custom fit for your wides?
Yes mine are custom fit

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I just ordered a pair of the Escape model and will post updates as the order moves forward.

Alex at LUCK is as friendly and helpful as can be, I must say.

You can tell he wears many hats, and I can appreciate that.

kdawg

by kdawg

Can they move the cleat position on their soles? - I've never been more comfortable than since I redrilled the holes in my Bont shoes. I've been looking at Luck but if they couldn't go further back (I need about 10mm) that would be a deal breaker.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

kdawg wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 pm
Can they move the cleat position on their soles? - I've never been more comfortable than since I redrilled the holes in my Bont shoes. I've been looking at Luck but if they couldn't go further back (I need about 10mm) that would be a deal breaker.
Just drop them a line and ask, Kdawg.

They are very responsive and accomidating from everything I've seen and heard.

Cals

by Cals

bookmarked this topic, was coming from a bont vaypor and had it slowly disintegrating. time to look for one with luck and stumbled upon this thread as i have wierd wide feet almost like donald duck. would like to you guys experience and kicks arriving.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com