LUCK semi-custom shoes experience, Bont's mismatch

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eeney

by eeney

Lake just don't fit me, even their widest shoes (238 and 241 wide) just don't feel right (narrow), their shape is very different to my foot, I have 238s and 403s wide....what a waste. Lake wide, are wide at the metartarsals, but have a relatively narrow toebox, I would have thought 'wide shoe' include 'wide toebox' but what do I know.

RyanH -

[*] You say 'double wide' Bont, and 'special wide' Luck. For me Luck have advised 'Special Wide L' not sure if this is wider or just more volume than the standard special wide. Do you feel the special wide Luck are as wide as the double wide Bont
[*] Is the toebox on the Luck as rounded/spacious as the Bont? (I have bont Vaypor S and Riot), I like the shape of their toebox over Lakes.
[*] Luck sizing, I measure 250mm, advised size says 263 (which seems long for a 40.5). But that means we're adding 8mm onto my foot size. Based on your 'could go half a size bigger', does that sound OK?

I've spent a fortune on shoes that don't fit (2 pairs of Bonts and 3 pairs of Lakes), I'm doing all I can to avoid it happening again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Here's my measurements:

Right Length: 269mm
Right Instep Contour: 255mm
Right Metarsus Width: 115mm
Left Length: 275mm
Left Instep Contour: 264mm
Left Metatarsus Width: 113mm

They originally suggested:

RL = 42,5
Shoe last = black (green + special metatarsal)
LL = 43
Shoe last = black (green + special metatarsal)

It took a 2nd pair to get right:

Genius - Details : Color: Genius Blanco
Left foot size: 44
Right foot size: 43.5
Left shoe last: Red
Right shoe last: Red
Left foot metatarsus: Special wide
Right foot metatarsus: Special wide
Left foot: Without correction
Left foot: 0º
Right foot: Without correction
Right foot: 0º
Left raised sole: Without raised insole
Right raised sole: Without raised insole

My issue is that my foot curves (I can't remember which way) so depending on where you measure, the width needed can be a lot more than the width at any two contact points for me. I'd recommend sending your foot drawing to them and they can help better.

eeney

by eeney

Thanks Ryan, very helpful.

My issue is that my foot is wider (bunions) further back than the normal foot, so even shoes with a wide forefoot don't work because they widen too far forward for me.

Looking at your numbers, Luck are advising me exactly as they did you on your first fitting/pair, they're probably advising me half a size bigger than they did you.Thiss why I'm asking about the Bonts v Luck. In Bont I'd be 42 Double Wide, Luck have advised 40.1 Special Wide L.

You mention 'black' lasts, they advised me Special Wide L which were a green last in a photo. Is the Special Wide L just a 'special' but with more instep volume/size?

The biggest worry for me is my 'further back' width, coupled with Square toe box/forefoot needing lots of space.

Based on what I've read here, Luck are probably a better option than Bont for such wide feet. My issue with Bont is that the hard sides are very unforgiving, although I may keep my vaypor S's for short races. I have 'adapted them by cutting holes (expansion zones) in them on each side of the forefoot using a rotary tool, so as my foot expands it can spill out of the side of the shoe...looks OK with shoe covers on.

FYI - for casual shoes I have just bought some VivoBarfoot shoes, OMG, bliss, crazy amounts of forefoot width and toe space. I stopped wearing any other shoes. I need to find equivalent business shoes.

RyanH

by RyanH

Keep in mind my foot situation may be different than yours but I'm wearing sz 45 Bont Vaypor. So, I wear a much larger Bont than I do Luck.

I don't know the answers to the other questions. My last order was a few years ago so they may have more options.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

VanMich

by VanMich

Hi, thanks all here
I think I'll try Luck, but before I hammer them with messages I'll start with you :D
My feet: 26.6cm long, 10.7 wide, instep 25.3, normal/narrow ankles, so ultra wide (spread) at the bowl (both sides) but not big nor high in volume overall.
I found a compromise with MTB's Lake MX218 Wide 43, without insoles to gain 1 or 2 mm in width (I do that to all my walking/running shoes), it's just OK I'd like more space on both sides, but the heel slips already too much, coudn't size up.
I tried road CX238 Wide 43.5 thinking it'd be the same last ("competition" last, their widest range): way too narrow on the sides, and the heel waoo I could fit 2 gel tube each side!

So... Luck seems to be my last hope (too poor for Bont's full customs)
I only see one shoe in the road custom: the Genius 2021; fine by me, I guess the carbon sole is stiff enough for local crit' racing, and to go 1200 watts in a final sprint ?
By the way, my current road poor fit shoes are Gaerne in 44, with like 1cm of homemade inserts behind the heel (to push the bowl more in the right place, so the widests parts match), big toe has still a goodmargin in the front (not the little toes!), but the exterior sides hangs out of the carbon! Good thing is the interior sides (so the big bowl) is well seated on the carbon, where the most power is applied I believe. Still far from a dream shoe !
Cheers
Last edited by VanMich on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeo

by Aeo

VanMich wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:10 am
My feet: 26.6cm long, 10.7 wide, instep 25.3, normal/narrow ankles, so ultra wide (spread) at the bowl (both sides) but not big nor high in volume overall.
My feet are a little bit wider, Luck has been the best so far. Not perfect, but usable

Lake did not suit me very well at all
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14