Replacing Giant Conduct brakes system with 105 shimano hydraulic setup

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Gunlock

by Gunlock

Hello guys!

I own Giant Advanced Defy 2 2019. The bike is great and everything but it has this ugly Giant conduct brake system on front of the stem. I would like to get rid od it, so I am planning to order shimano 105 hydraulic brakes from here (https://www.bike24.com/p2271271.html). Will this be everything I need to buy to switch to full hydraulic brakes and finally get a clean stem or do I need to buy something else as well (any other item)?

Thank you!

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Did this previously with the same bike. You will need to have a new stem or the front part of the giant stem clamp. That's a crazy good price for the new levers. Had my LBS do it, you might need Olive and Barb. Also if I were you I would get a bleed kit. The brakes come pre-bled but it's easy to get air in there during the install process and just seems like best practice to do an initial bleed anyways.

Three things you will notice when it is complete. The stopping power is actually way better with the full hydraulic. Your bike will look a lot cleaner with the "growth" removed. The grip on the levers is a bit chunkier than the 7000 sti mechanical levers especially around the index knuckle, but you will get used to it.

Gunlock

by Gunlock

Forgive me for being an amateur. Yes I will take my bike to LBS to change evrything but id rather bring all the stuff since they tend do buff up the price if I order by them. So I will order the stuff described in the link above. Do you have any recommendations for the stem? Which one should I get? Should I buy "Olive and Barb" as well? They will have the correct sizes at LBS, right? I will also get a bleed kit, yes. Will this one be allright (https://www.bike24.com/p227064.html)? I think I will manage to do this alone... there are many youtube videos.
Nikoras wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Did this previously with the same bike. You will need to have a new stem or the front part of the giant stem clamp. That's a crazy good price for the new levers. Had my LBS do it, you might need Olive and Barb. Also if I were you I would get a bleed kit. The brakes come pre-bled but it's easy to get air in there during the install process and just seems like best practice to do an initial bleed anyways.

Three things you will notice when it is complete. The stopping power is actually way better with the full hydraulic. Your bike will look a lot cleaner with the "growth" removed. The grip on the levers is a bit chunkier than the 7000 sti mechanical levers especially around the index knuckle, but you will get used to it.