Is it ever okay to wear team kit?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mendiz

by mendiz

I am really laughing hard reading this thread, if one person is really a fan of pro cycling, the normal is to buy pro team kits. By the way, I use yet a long sleeve jersey from 2002 Mapei made by Santini in Italy, I think I have used that garment at least 1000 times and like new.
For me the ridicolous is kits with subtle colors like Rapha, Pas Normal, MAAP, etc..., colours without bright, when in real life elegant clothes are not like those colours.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

by Weenie

mag

by mag

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:20 am
Not a fan of non-pros wearing pro team kits, you aren't paid for that
Some of you haven't considered that pro teams actually want you to wear their kit and support their team. NFL teams probably sell more kit than the entire budget of the average pro cycling team. this is one area where pro cycling falls short. No long lasting branding - team kit changes all the time - team name changes when the sponsor changes - etc.

Why does anyone think that wearing a pro team jersey is being a "wanna be". Nobody is going to mistake the average joe for being a member of team Sky.

Wear what you want because you think it looks good or to support your favorite team. People in my club mostly wear their club jersey but some guys wear pro team kit and nobody cares.
I'm aware of that, however I find it hard (for myself) to somehow identify with the whole team in order to wear their kit on such occassions. They're just a business operations pretty much like any other after all. If you're kid for example then alright, if you're a spectator on the side of the road during a race - fine. But especially when performing the same sport as well, not so much. It just looks weird, like someone wants to look like a pro too much.

Maybe one exception would be the case if you'd like the particular team kit aesthetically and wear it just because of that. But they're designed with advertising in mind and tend to scream some sponsor names quite a lot. And I don't like to promote some private company for free.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bedampft wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:22 pm
bedampft wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:18 pm
Why should i care what one complete stranger, probably wearing mono coloured Rapha/PNS/whatever kit, riding on a black bike thinks of me, wearing my old Sunweb kit? Judging other people for wearing teamkit says more about yourself, then them.

/At the end of season older team kit is also cheap to buy, but still works pretty well.
the bold is kinda telling right ? :noidea:
should i add "/ironie" or smilies especially for your convenience?
___

This whole "no team kit and stick up the ass" attitude is one reason why many new people don't turn up on club(rides) or other events. Cyclists seem not very welcoming to newbies and outsiders.
seems you are a bit judgy is all... enjoy.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Why wear kit of a team your not part of?
Do you like Pro cycling?

If one does, why wouldn't they wear a team kit? Everyone accepts that the business model of pro cycling sucks and all but a few teams exist on a knife edge, scrapping for a functional budget and entirely dependent on the ongoing goodwill of a handful of sponsors. Cycling teams already lack the revenue streams of traditional sports (they have no stadiums, they cannot charge you to come and watch, nor sell you food and beer while you're there) and have trouble attracting strong fanbases because they change identity (or cease to exist) so often, and things would be even worse if their kit sponsors couldn't sell any replica jerseys. It's fine if you don't want to wear one, but denigrating other people who've decided to contribute to the team they support and to top level road racing in general is not good.

Miller

by Miller

Five years ago I bought a BMC SLR01 in the colourway they brought out to celebrate Phil Gil's 2012 World's victory. The frameset came with a replica World's jersey in presentation box, size medium (hm - wonder if they matched the jersey size to the frame size...). I have worn it, but only a few times, and not when I expected to see many other cyclists. The World's jersey is a bit statementy, I wouldn't care about wearing general trade team kit.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

mendiz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 pm
I am really laughing hard reading this thread, if one person is really a fan of pro cycling, the normal is to buy pro team kits. By the way, I use yet a long sleeve jersey from 2002 Mapei made by Santini in Italy, I think I have used that garment at least 1000 times and like new.
For me the ridicolous is kits with subtle colors like Rapha, Pas Normal, MAAP, etc..., colours without bright, when in real life elegant clothes are not like those colours.
Someone out there in the ether is probably thinking the exact opposite to you...

silvalis

by silvalis

Wingnut wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:32 am
mendiz wrote:
Someone out there in the ether is probably thinking the exact opposite to you...
When I read that, I was actually a bit afraid to find out what mendiz thinks "real life elegant clothes" that have bright flashy colours and are analogous to proteam kit are like.
Chasse patate

Js2

by Js2

I think it's fine, but not something I would do. Just personal preference. :beerchug:

I don't tend to wear jerseys with big logos or sponsor plastered all over. The bike has enough advertisement already.

Now pas normal studios has the nicest color palette on their stuff imo. I wish they would get rid of PAS NORMAL STUDIOS plastered in a huge font on your back. That's the only thing preventing me buying. If anyone knows how to de-logo them without ruining the jersey please dm me lol. :mrgreen:

gwilson

by gwilson

If you're having fun and you're not harming anyone, go ahead and do what you want. Personally I wouldn't wear a national/world/grand tour winners jersey, but I'm not going to be offended if I see a casual cyclist wearing a yellow jersey.

Etienne

by Etienne

silvalis wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 pm
Wingnut wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:32 am
mendiz wrote:
When I read that, I was actually a bit afraid to find out what mendiz thinks "real life elegant clothes" that have bright flashy colours and are analogous to proteam kit are like.
Well, "real life clothes" are like cycling kit ... elegance is a highy relative and personal concept :wink:

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Back when I was a bike messenger, the one jersey every one coveted was Tuborg sponsored De Gronne Bude's from Copenhagen in neon green.

joejack951

by joejack951

mag wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm
But especially when performing the same sport as well, not so much. It just looks weird, like someone wants to look like a pro too much.
Yeah, it's kinda like being an average cyclist riding around on some really lightweight carbon fiber bike with Dura Ace/Red/Record components. Oh wait...

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:47 pm
mag wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm
But especially when performing the same sport as well, not so much. It just looks weird, like someone wants to look like a pro too much.
Yeah, it's kinda like being an average cyclist riding around on some really lightweight carbon fiber bike with Dura Ace/Red/Record components. Oh wait...
:lol:
post on point
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

mag

by mag

^ While it's true that using those high-end components is largely an overkill for most non-pros, I disagree with that note. Those components are at least technically different in some way (other than just the appearance) - e.g. they may be lighter, less flexy, shift crispier, whatever. You can really notice that (someone more, someone less). But the kit is just about the looks (you can get the same in another designs).

by Weenie

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Are you on the team? Did you ride for the team in the past and now you're retired? If yes, then it's OK. Otherwise it's a no. There are plenty of kits out there.....most nicer than team issue kit. Do yourself a favour and carve your own look. Just one curmudgeon's opinion here.