Is it ever okay to wear team kit?

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
joejack951

by joejack951

mag wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 pm
^ While it's true that using those high-end components is largely an overkill for most non-pros, I disagree with that note. Those components are at least technically different in some way (other than just the appearance) - e.g. they may be lighter, less flexy, shift crispier, whatever. You can really notice that (someone more, someone less). But the kit is just about the looks (you can get the same in another designs).
Justify your use of high end components however you'd like. To those who know anything about cycling, you are still trying to give the impression that you are closer to a pro than reality (which for most of us is we are far from pro and barely deserve Tiagra on our bikes) :D

silvalis

by silvalis

Bigger Gear wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Why wear kit of a team your not part of?
Do you like Pro cycling?

If one does, why wouldn't they wear a team kit? Everyone accepts that the business model of pro cycling sucks and all but a few teams exist on a knife edge, scrapping for a functional budget and entirely dependent on the ongoing goodwill of a handful of sponsors. Cycling teams already lack the revenue streams of traditional sports (they have no stadiums, they cannot charge you to come and watch, nor sell you food and beer while you're there) and have trouble attracting strong fanbases because they change identity (or cease to exist) so often, and things would be even worse if their kit sponsors couldn't sell any replica jerseys. It's fine if you don't want to wear one, but denigrating other people who've decided to contribute to the team they support and to top level road racing in general is not good.
How much money do you think the team would actually receive from selling its kits? I'm guessing the clothing sponsor would take the majority of the money.
I'm guessing half of them are fake :roll:
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Bigger Gear wrote:
How much money do you think the team would actually receive from selling its kits? I'm guessing the clothing sponsor would take the majority of the money.
Sure, but it'll ultimately benefit the sport of pro cycling either way. Clothing sponsors are... sponsors. If a directly measurable result of their sponsorship (team replica kits) goes up in value, their next contract renewal will be worth more.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

What about Pro-Replica bikes :o :shock:
is that ok ?
Attachments
full_ultimate-cf-slx-9-movistar-disc_c1286.png
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Wookski

by Wookski

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 pm
Bigger Gear wrote:
Sure, but it'll ultimately benefit the sport of pro cycling either way. Clothing sponsors are... sponsors. If a directly measurable result of their sponsorship (team replica kits) goes up in value, their next contract renewal will be worth more.
OK cool- a wonderful reason to look silly!

Wookski

by Wookski

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:32 am
What about Pro-Replica bikes :o :shock:
is that ok ?
No, your bike should be better because the frame and component choices aren't limited by the constraints of sponsorship :P

AJS914

by AJS914

Ride the bike you want. Wear the jersey you like. Nobody cares except for a couple of wankers that look at what other people are doing and pass judgement.

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Does it matter ? As AJS914 says, wear whatever jersey you like! Would I wear a Tour leaders jersey or World Champs jersey, definately not, but that's a personal choice. Would i ride a team replica bike - well I don't, but could! At the end of the day getting out on the bike is the most important thing, what you ride or what you wear doesn't make you a better rider and if you chosse to spend your hard earned cash on a top of the range bike rather than pissing up the wall, how bad can that be ?

dastott

by dastott

silvalis wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:16 pm
Not exactly practical, but I feel like you should at least be riding the same brand bike as the team kit you're sporting...
Yes, I only wear my green Cannondale jersey when riding my Super Six. Like the design, the bright green colours and the Castelli fit.

mendiz

by mendiz

@silvalis For me elegant brands are Loro Piana, Corneliani, sometimes Cucinelli. No elegant although maximum quality are Kiton, Stefano Ricci. And bad taste Gucci, Dolce Gabanna, etc. If you understand bright colour by Stone Island or Dolce Gabanna and similar you did not understand "bright".
I see ridicolous comparing street clothes to cycling clothes. Besided PNS, La passione, etc are same colours from same manufacturers, average quality.
I like pro road cycling and I like to use for exsmple St.Raphael jersey for Jacques Anquetil or maglia rosa for the meaning of the jersey.
silvalis wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 pm
Wingnut wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:32 am
mendiz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 pm
I am really laughing hard reading this thread, if one person is really a fan of pro cycling, the normal is to buy pro team kits. By the way, I use yet a long sleeve jersey from 2002 Mapei made by Santini in Italy, I think I have used that garment at least 1000 times and like new.
For me the ridicolous is kits with subtle colors like Rapha, Pas Normal, MAAP, etc..., colours without bright, when in real life elegant clothes are not like those colours.
Someone out there in the ether is probably thinking the exact opposite to you...
When I read that, I was actually a bit afraid to find out what mendiz thinks "real life elegant clothes" that have bright flashy colours and are analogous to proteam kit are like.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

robeambro

by robeambro

My only issue is that I already have a team-issue frame, which means:

- I can't wear a pro kit of the same team as it would be overkill (also cause I don't have any particular attachment to such team)
- I can't wear a pro kit of other teams as it would look weird (dang, should have bought an S-Works just so I could wear the new and awesome white Bora jersey)

#firstworldproblems

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:18 am
Ride the bike you want. Wear the jersey you like. Nobody cares except for a couple of wankers that look at what other people are doing and pass judgement.
^

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

To those of you who would say it doesn't matter if someone wears the yellow jersey, rainbow stripes... (let's not get to team jerseys). What would you think of people wearing replica medals, or veteran's uniforms or firefighter uniforms or a PhD gown at a graduation (without having the PhD)?

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Cycomanic wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:23 pm
To those of you who would say it doesn't matter if someone wears the yellow jersey, rainbow stripes... (let's not get to team jerseys). What would you think of people wearing replica medals, or veteran's uniforms or firefighter uniforms or a PhD gown at a graduation (without having the PhD)?
Let me rephrase this

For those of you who are ok with a rando wearing a jersey from a sports team, how would you feel about people lying about their profession especially if your life was on the line?

Grow up. A jersey and a job are not comparable. Stop being a blowhard. If you see someone wearing a WC jersey and cannot tell if its Mads or not then mind your business. Many of you would be faster if you kept your head down and rode your bike instead of being traditionalists. I don't see you in wool socks on a steel bike, does that mean you aren't a purist or real cyclist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:18 am
:thumbup: