Is it ever okay to wear team kit?

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Etienne

by Etienne

Wearing team kit is no problem ... as long as you are comfortable with wearing advertising panels for free :roll:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Etienne wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:22 pm
Wearing team kit is no problem ... as long as you are comfortable with wearing advertising panels for free :roll:
do you cover the logos on your bike and black sharpee your tires too. :beerchug:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thomson

by Thomson

Would love to own a bora world champs jersey don't think I would wear tho. I might get a bora jersey one day tho. Wear what you want 👍

Patb095

by Patb095

You’re reminding something very funny that happened to me 3 years ago in September.

I lived in Quebec and we have the 2 final pro tour race of the season in Quebec and Montréal. We were Tuesday and the race was Friday. It just went out of my mind that it was coming and I was riding in the bike path when I cross 10 rider riding side by side wearing a BMC kit. I said to myself: my god these guys look stupid in these kit thinking they were a club group ride that choose a team kit for their jerseys:). I thought it was a little too much :). Going back home and appreciating my ride and looking at my PR on Strava I notice I was top 5 on a segment lead by ....Greg Van Avermaet....So I was the stupid guys not acknowledging it was the real team BMC and not a bunch of nobody wearing a team kit hahahah

So If you’d like to wear a team kit and this is making feel good ... why not !

Cheers!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

okimy

by okimy

You should wear whatever you like. I only got into cycling about two years ago and my first proper kit was a Canyon Sram teamkit because I liked the look. Back then i got the sizing a bit wrong though (too loose) and the padding on the shorts isn't really doing its job anymore. I'll have to get a new set before Brexit.

Etienne

by Etienne

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:05 pm
Etienne wrote:
do you cover the logos on your bike and black sharpee your tires too. :beerchug:
Precisely ! You won't find much visible logos on my bikes, wheels and kit, I prefer them blank as far as possible ... and my tires brands are difficult to spot when I ride.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

NickJHP wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 am
I have some Rabobank kit that Rory Sutherland gave me for loaning him my TT bike to ride in the nationals when Rabobank refused to fly a team bike out to Australia for him to ride

This sounds like an interesting story. Care to elaborate? What year was this?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'm with pretty much everyone else here, wear what you like. I don't see wearing a team kit as being any different than wearing a Pro football/basketball/hockey teams jersey. If you're a fan of the team, go for it. As for leaders jerseys, I have no problem there either. If you're a fan of the race, or an individual who won a particular jersey, go for it. Replica national champions jersey, go for it. The only one I personally wouldn't do is the rainbow stripes, but that's just me, I wouldn't ridicule someone for doing it themselves.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Etienne wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:36 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:05 pm
Etienne wrote:
Precisely ! You won't find much visible logos on my bikes, wheels and kit, I prefer them blank as far as possible ... and my tires brands are difficult to spot when I ride.

me too actually... well atleast on my BMC timemachine... I got the black module and did not apply the sticker kit. :thumbup:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bilwit

by bilwit

If it's a retro, non-active team it may be forgiveable. Otherwise FKW poser is extremely applicable. No it is not the same as wearing a football jersey on the street.

If you're a big fan of a team or rider for some reason, wear the cap or get some team bottles. If you want to pay tribute to a special jersey, hang it on the wall.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Matt28NJ wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 pm
NickJHP wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 am
I have some Rabobank kit that Rory Sutherland gave me for loaning him my TT bike to ride in the nationals when Rabobank refused to fly a team bike out to Australia for him to ride
This sounds like an interesting story. Care to elaborate? What year was this?
This would have been the end of 2004. I like TTs, and had a Cervelo P3, which was one of the best TT bikes around in those days. Rory was back here in Canberra over our summer/European winter, and wanted to ride the Australian Nationals, which are in January, but when he asked Rabobank, for whom he was riding at the time, if they would ship one of the team TT bikes out from Europe for him to ride, they declined. So he asked if he could borrow my bike, and I loaned it to him. He rode it to second place behind Nathan O'Neill.

Both Rory Sutherland and Mick Rogers rode with our local club (Canberra Cycling Club) before they turned pro, and even after they turned pro, would ride our local summer crits when they were back here, so I knew them via the local cycling scene.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I don't care which kit you wear but the dinosaur in me says no to WC, yellow jersey etc...someone earned that the hard way rather than buying it online...

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

i see two old guys in BMC kit at my local coffee shop all the time on perfect BMC bikes complete with Shimano Tubulars. I want to ask them if they got the memo the team is no more.

Wookski

by Wookski

I'm surprised at how many people are cool with wearing team kit. I get the Eroica thing- it's fun like dressing up for Halloween but a non pro in pro kit is really frowned upon here. It looks super hubbardy. Even ex pros don't wear team kit!

bedampft

by bedampft

Wookski wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:26 am
I'm surprised at how many people are cool with wearing team kit. I get the Eroica thing- it's fun like dressing up for Halloween but a non pro in pro kit is really frowned upon here. It looks super hubbardy. Even ex pros don't wear team kit!
Why wouldn't we? While out training we meet hundreds of drivers and pedestrains, they surely don't care or even know. And from the dozens of cyclists we see, maybe one is "not cool" with it. So what? Why should i care what one complete stranger, probably wearing mono coloured Rapha/PNS/whatever kit, riding on a black bike thinks of me, wearing my old Sunweb kit? Judging other people for wearing teamkit says more about yourself, then them.

/At the end of season older team kit is also cheap to buy, but still works pretty well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com