Is it ever okay to wear team kit?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Eleven21

by Eleven21

There’s a bit of irony in that title. I don’t normally care what other folk think of my cycling attire but I’ve been riding long enough to know the World Cup stripes on your jersey are a massive faux pas.

I do wonder if wearing some of the lesser known team kit or old retro is okay?

by Weenie

ruklaw

by ruklaw

It's fine.

As you say, WC bands, yellow jersey, KOM jersey etc likely to invite ridicule, team kit fine (especially obscure/retro which can be rather stylish...)

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I don't see a problem with it. I wear old team kit from time to time. I have some Rabobank kit that Rory Sutherland gave me for loaning him my TT bike to ride in the nationals when Rabobank refused to fly a team bike out to Australia for him to ride, and I have a full set of Mapei team kit given to me by Mick Rogers when he moved from Mapei to Quick-Step and could no long wear the Mapei clothing. It was still in its wrappers when he gave it to me. Luckily I'm pretty much of a size with both of them so the clothing fits.

I also have a couple of old Molteni wool jerseys that I wear when riding one of my lugged steel machines.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

It is fine to wear team kit, WC stripes, yellow jerseys, polka dots etc. Wear what you like. The only restriction which isn’t BS is that if you are contracted to wear something, then don’t wear something else. That extends to WC stripes. If you are a pro, don’t wear them if you aren’t / haven’t been WC.

rlanger

by rlanger

RTW wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:16 pm
It is fine to wear team kit, WC stripes, yellow jerseys, polka dots etc. Wear what you like.
Yeah, this. Wear whatever you want and enjoy the hell out of your ride.

I live in Japan and that's definitely one of the great things about this place. People don't give a rat's ass what you wear or what you ride. They don't even care if you can't keep pace, they either wait or they'll even circle back for you (not that they ever have to wait for me :shock: :shock: ). At least where I live in Japan the people that I ride with are like that.
Last edited by rlanger on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

rlanger wrote:
RTW wrote:
It is fine to wear team kit, WC stripes, yellow jerseys, polka dots etc. Wear what you like.

I live in Japan and that's definitely one of the great things about this place. People don't give a rat's ass what you wear or what you ride. They don't even care if you can't keep pace, they either wait or they'll even circle back for you (not that they ever have to wait for me :shock: :shock: ). At least where I live in Japan the people that I ride with are like that.
It’s a shame the folk we ride with in my neck of the woods don’t have the same mindset.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

NickJHP wrote:....also have a couple of old Molteni wool jerseys that I wear when riding one of my lugged steel machines.
Yes, I’m with you on that. I’ve collected a few Italian wool/acrylic jerseys over the years and given all my bikes are ‘metal’ I’ve never felt ‘silly’ wearing them.

Mapei kit. Now that is very stylish. I’ve got a NOS short sleeve one squirrelled away but have never had the nerve to wear it. As said folk in our local club can be a bit ‘sniffy’.

FWIW I’m a keen cycling enthusiast and love all aspects of cycling and cycling disciplines. I’m certainly not one to sneer at other cyclists of any ability or chosen cycle clothing preference. But as you’re all most likely aware, in the roadie fraternity it would seem there are still (in this day and age) certain etiquettes that one is expected to observe for fear of being ridiculed (not that I should care but sometimes it’s hard not to).

rlanger

by rlanger

Eleven21 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:46 pm
rlanger wrote:
RTW wrote:

It’s a shame the folk we ride with in my neck of the woods don’t have the same mindset.
Yeah, that's too bad. Life's too short really to have any other attitude.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

My father was an Air Force pilot and we lived in Japan [Yokota AFB]. At 16 I rode my bike everywhere and was graciously invited to many rides from the locals. Even from people I just met while riding. I was the token gaijin and was welcomed like I was family. It seemed that they only cared about riding with friends.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

rlanger wrote:
RTW wrote:

That's the Asian collectivist mindset. Koreans are similar too. Refreshing compared to the Western individualism.

jasonh

by jasonh

Absolutely fine to wear team kit. But I would not wear rainbows, yellow, pink, polka dots, etc.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Where whatever you feel like wearing and don't let anyone tell you any differently.

TheRich

by TheRich

Eleven21 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:01 pm
NickJHP wrote:....also have a couple of old Molteni wool jerseys that I wear when riding one of my lugged steel machines.
Yes, I’m with you on that. I’ve collected a few Italian wool/acrylic jerseys over the years and given all my bikes are ‘metal’ I’ve never felt ‘silly’ wearing them.

Mapei kit. Now that is very stylish. I’ve got a NOS short sleeve one squirrelled away but have never had the nerve to wear it. As said folk in our local club can be a bit ‘sniffy’.

FWIW I’m a keen cycling enthusiast and love all aspects of cycling and cycling disciplines. I’m certainly not one to sneer at other cyclists of any ability or chosen cycle clothing preference. But as you’re all most likely aware, in the roadie fraternity it would seem there are still (in this day and age) certain etiquettes that one is expected to observe for fear of being ridiculed (not that I should care but sometimes it’s hard not to).
Vintage is cool, rolling around like Oleg Tinkoff is not.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

jasonh wrote: ...I would not wear rainbows, yellow, pink, polka dots, etc.
In short I wonder if this pretty much sums it up....

(although I’ll be including Sky team kit in that list? Image)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie