Best possible carbon disk wheels for up to $2500?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
C36

by C36

Very surprised people throw wheels models without asking what you are looking after, the types of rides you do...
There is a difference between « let me suggest my wheels that I love » and sharing opinion base on specific utilisation

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

C36 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 pm
Very surprised people throw wheels models without asking what you are looking after, the types of rides you do...
There is a difference between « let me suggest my wheels that I love » and sharing opinion base on specific utilisation Image

well Im coming in at the hub selection.. :thumbup: and I'd still chose DT240S over anything but an ultralite build which then I would chose extralite

TheRich

by TheRich

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:22 pm

hmm.. gonna have to measure mine one day.. I like the color choices.. I could live without the sound but its useful on the trails that are shared by hikers. Ive had no issues with them so far over the last 14 months. I still prefer DT240S which is what is on my Enve5.6. I9s are on 4.5AR
Riding with someone with I9 hubs is like riding with someone with a BT speaker. Want to alert other trail users, buy a bell.
C36 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 pm
There is a difference between « let me suggest my wheels that I love » and sharing opinion base on specific utilisation Image

:?
He gave examples of what he was looking for.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TheRich wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Riding with someone with I9 hubs is like riding with someone with a BT speaker. Want to alert other trail users, buy a bell.

no kidding , I try to ped even when riding solo :thumbup: .. no time for the bell (which is uptop)... bells are useful when climbing, but not so much descending at speed.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm heavily leaning towards the Enve 5.6 disk. Unfortunately Enve doesn't offer them with DT 240 or i9 hubs. Only Enve alloy (Mavic ID 360), CK, and CK ceramic. The alloy hub 5.6 disks would cost $1950 out the door with the wheel trade, free shipping, and no tax.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

DaveS

by DaveS

Looked at pro bike kit? All they have are well below your budget. Some WTO available.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:32 pm
I'm heavily leaning towards the Enve 5.6 disk. Unfortunately Enve doesn't offer them with DT 240 or i9 hubs. Only Enve alloy (Mavic ID 360), CK, and CK ceramic. The alloy hub 5.6 disks would cost $1950 out the door with the wheel trade, free shipping, and no tax.

I'd get enve alloy then...

I suggusted wheelbuilder because there you could get the DT240s... I did the Enve trade in last year through wheelbuilder.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

cosmics hands down.

if you could pair the CLX hubs with the mavic rims, then those would be the best. otherwise, the cosmics.

elliptical spokes, serviceable, aeroish hubs, and very well designed rims that don't cut tires and hold up to some abuse. most under rated wheels out there. you can pick them up for about half a set of enves and they just work.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I think you should pick wheels by their specs, not looks. Do you want comfort or speed? Do you ride good or crap roads? Do you average speeds over 35km/h? What tire width do you prefer? (Real in mm, not "25C") What do you weigh? Do you like to PR/KOM on climbs a lot? Slow cadence rider? Bunny-hop lover? Tubed/tubular/tubeless? Low weight or endurance/stiffness? Carbon spokes likee/no-likee.

C36

by C36

TheRich wrote: He gave examples of what he was looking for.
Just few flagship wheels, different aero, different stiffness and still no idea if we recommend for a 165cm / 55 kg or 190cm / 90 kg rider. Without this we are just throwing opinions based on our own purchases.
spdntrxi wrote: well Im coming in at the hub selection.. :thumbup: and I'd still chose DT240S over anything but an ultralite build which then I would chose extralite
I looked at the disc hub geometry and as for the rim brake version, their flange spacing is very « conservative » (some would say poor), then can expect lower stiffness from their builds over other option. I wouldn’t see any reason to pick DT hubs looking for best “performance”

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

C36 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:24 am
TheRich wrote: He gave examples of what he was looking for.
Just few flagship wheels, different aero, different stiffness and still no idea if we recommend for a 165cm / 55 kg or 190cm / 90 kg rider. Without this we are just throwing opinions based on our own purchases.
spdntrxi wrote: well Im coming in at the hub selection.. :thumbup: and I'd still chose DT240S over anything but an ultralite build which then I would chose extralite
I looked at the disc hub geometry and as for the rim brake version, their flange spacing is very « conservative » (some would say poor), then can expect lower stiffness from their builds over other option. I wouldn’t see any reason to pick DT hubs looking for best “performance”

Second this. Lots of geometry considerations on the hubs and many good choices available.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

geo this.. geo that... how about real world performace. I've seen plenty of stuff look great on paper and less then steller in real life.

Unless you have tried well ...pound sand. I'm not saying they are the best, but they are solid . Coming from a 85kg sprinter type I've never had a problem with stiffness. Would I buy them as stand alones ? probably not because they are actually quite expensive... but in OEM wheelbuilds the price is more reasonable. I'd chose them over i9, enve alloy and CK.. which is kinda all the op has to choose from if he goes 5.6 from Enve... directly from enve he even has less choices.

TheRich

by TheRich

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:11 am
geo this.. geo that... how about real world performace. I've seen plenty of stuff look great on paper and less then steller in real life.

Unless you have tried well ...pound sand. I'm not saying they are the best, but they are solid . Coming from a 85kg sprinter type I've never had a problem with stiffness. Would I buy them as stand alones ? probably not because they are actually quite expensive... but in OEM wheelbuilds the price is more reasonable. I'd chose them over i9, enve alloy and CK.. which is kinda all the op has to choose from if he goes 5.6 from Enve... directly from enve he even has less choices.
...and this is going on a bicycle ridden for fun, ffs.

Looks are very much important...worrying about spoke angles is like fretting about various aero tests and grams of drag and is a waste of time. Most comparable parts are so close that you might as well pick the one that comes in the color you want because that's a difference that you'll actually notice.

C36

by C36

spdntrxi wrote:geo this.. geo that... how about real world performace. I've seen plenty of stuff look great on paper and less then steller in real life.

Unless you have tried well ...pound sand. I'm not saying they are the best, but they are solid . Coming from a 85kg sprinter type I've never had a problem with stiffness.
Is geometry important, all other things being equal? Yes because of mechanics/physics... simple, more angle bring more stiffness.

Is geometry the silver bullet? No, won’t patch using too little or too thin spokes.

Now, without presuming the wheels you tested saying you NEVER encountered wheel stiffness problem would surprise me. With 20kg less than you I saw quite a lot of differences along the years.
TheRich wrote: Looks are very much important...worrying about spoke angles is like fretting about various aero tests and grams of drag and is a waste of time. Most comparable parts are so close that you might as well pick the one that comes in the color you want because that's a difference that you'll actually notice.
Not sure if I am detecting high level of sarcasm or if you got lost from Instagram nice-looking-bikes accounts :)
Attention to details is quite the purpose of this place.

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

C36 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 am
spdntrxi wrote:geo this.. geo that... how about real world performace. I've seen plenty of stuff look great on paper and less then steller in real life.

Unless you have tried well ...pound sand. I'm not saying they are the best, but they are solid . Coming from a 85kg sprinter type I've never had a problem with stiffness.
Is geometry important, all other things being equal? Yes because of mechanics/physics... simple, more angle bring more stiffness.

Is geometry the silver bullet? No, won’t patch using too little or too thin spokes.

Now, without presuming the wheels you tested saying you NEVER encountered wheel stiffness problem would surprise me. With 20kg less than you I saw quite a lot of differences along the years.

me being ... well more solid :thumbup: I never opt for the standard build... it's always at a min for example cx sprint spokes on the drive side.