Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Raimundo

by Raimundo

tfayet wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:34 am
Hello
I will install in fews days a XTR 9100 12 spedd chain on my full Dura Ace 9100 groupset
Do I need to change something on my read derailleur (pulley)?
Let me know
no need to change anything...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So I got my two XTR 9100 chains the other day. I cleaned and waxed both chains. I rode on the new chain twice and wow, what a transformation. The hype is real, lol. 50% or greater noise reduction. Instant gratification. I visually compared the 901 and the 9100 in detail, and can see the 9100's extended inner plates. Very slick. Shimano's real innovation is in the details. The 9100 is also about 0.4mm narrower. Tonight I ordered four more 9100 chains. I will throw my existing 901 chains on my other bikes in the garbage can.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

...not the most environmentally friendly move no doubt..

ms6073

by ms6073

So circling back since I had previously tried the XTR 12-speed chain with my DA 9150 derailleurs, CS-R8000 cassette, and AB 52/36 oval chainrings on a Scott Solace disc frameset, but experienced less than stellar performance when shifting from small to large chainring. Decided to give it another go with my C64 disc and am very satisfied, only this time, I deviated slightly from Shimano's FD adjustment. When adjusting front derailleur spacing in large chainring and smallest rear cog, the Shimano dealer manual specifies adjusting the cage to set a gap of .5-1 mm between chainring and outer side of the derailleur cage, but that was not providing enough 'throw' of the derailleur with the AB rings, so I opted to increase the gap to 1.5-~2 mm and viola, great shiting and super quiet.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ericlambi

by ericlambi

This sounds very intriguing. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it works with non-Shimano chainrings? All my bikes are Dura Ace, but most have either Praxis or Oval Black chainrings.

edit: I see some people have commented on this earlier in the thread, sorry for the re-post.

Mauja

by Mauja

I swapped to the XTR 12 speed chain this week on Dura Ace 11 speed, works great, I was surprised how much of an improvement it is in terms of noise and the shifting performance seems the same as with the Dura Ace chain. I'm converted, when the chain on my gravel bike wears out I'll be going with the XTR chain on there too.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

ericlambi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 pm
This sounds very intriguing. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it works with non-Shimano chainrings? All my bikes are Dura Ace, but most have either Praxis or Oval Black chainrings.

edit: I see some people have commented on this earlier in the thread, sorry for the re-post.
Works fine on Carbon-Ti rings.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I'm thinking of moving to a 12s chain too, when the current 11s chain wears out. Has anyone tried using a YBN 12s chain? I usually buy from Zero Friction and wouldn't mind continuing with a YBN oil slick chain.

Alternatively, has anyone been using Molten Speed Wax on their XTR 12 speed chain? How does it perform? Zero Friction recommend the YBN chain (from what I've read in the past) for waxing with Molten Speed Wax.

cajer

by cajer

Schadenfreude wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:56 am
I'm thinking of moving to a 12s chain too, when the current 11s chain wears out. Has anyone tried using a YBN 12s chain? I usually buy from Zero Friction and wouldn't mind continuing with a YBN oil slick chain.

Alternatively, has anyone been using Molten Speed Wax on their XTR 12 speed chain? How does it perform? Zero Friction recommend the YBN chain (from what I've read in the past) for waxing with Molten Speed Wax.
I was gonna ask the same question, as I have a 12 speed YBN chain floating around. I guess I need to give it a shot.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

All my personal bikes and builds use MSW. Just thrown a XTR chain on the SL7 which for exact same length was 234g vs 240g of the DA.
As always, MSW is silky smooth and works great with the XTR chain.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kode54

by kode54

Sounds like I need to try out 12-spd chains based on good reviews. The recent cost of any genuine Shimano chains are through the roof. No ones discounting chains. I’ve seen fake cheap ones in eBay. Bought one and it was a fake so I returned it. Cost was about high $28 range.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

tjvirden

by tjvirden

There's a rash of counterfeit Shimano chains on Ebay UK at the moment - they're too cheap to be genuine, as well as the obvious problems (e.g. solid pins on Dura Ace stamped and boxed product!). The real thing is indeed not discounted anymore.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

I went for the XT rather than XTR, quite a decent saving for a handful of grams... Yet to try them out though.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I am still running DA 9000 chainrings on my SRM. How does the 12sp XTR chain shift with those rings? Anyone know?

szazbo

by szazbo

I am using the XTR 12 speed chain with MSW on my gravel bike. Using Praxis 32/48 rings and 11-40 XT cassette and Di2. Shifts perfectly front and rear and super quiet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com