Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ericlambi

by ericlambi

But being this is weight weenies, what I really want to know is does the XTR chain weigh more or less than the DA chain?!

ooo

by ooo

catalog weight info:

XTR 242g/114 links, XT 252g/114 links
DA 247g/114 links, Ultegra 257g/114 links
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Reading the feed-backs, any real reason not to purchase the M9100 over the std D-A for next chain replacement? reported to be quiet, without negative impact on the speed changes, works with D-A and Sram Cassettes, durable and only 9e more than the D-A (46 vs 37e). Was there any negtive aspects I missed?
Last edited by C36 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbabut

by tbabut

I've had exactly the same problems with my mechanical DA 9100 Group after cleaning and re-lubing the Dura Ace 11s chain. A few weeks ago I had to replace my chain and bought the XTR 12s chain. Right now I think it's working perfect. It runs quiet, shifts fine and the chain sits a bit more solid on the chain rings I think. You feel it the most when you shift down on the smaller ring at the front. So I didn't find any negative aspects, yet.

Maddie

by Maddie

I don't see negative aspects regarding the 12s XTR chain. It costs maybe 10 bucks more, that's all.

hurfdurf

by hurfdurf

Any potential downsides using the XT M8100 instead of the XTR M9100 everyones been touting here?

I've got a Ultegra Di2 set and the chain needs replacing. Don't really need DA / XTR quality right now..

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

hurfdurf wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 pm
Any potential downsides using the XT M8100 instead of the XTR M9100 everyones been touting here?

I've got a Ultegra Di2 set and the chain needs replacing. Don't really need DA / XTR quality right now..
Should work well too. I'm assuming the dimensions and profile is the same as the XTR, the only difference could very well just be a little more weight from not having the hollow pins the XTR has. Surface treatment sometimes differs between chain quality with higher-end ones having slightly less rolling resistance or more rust protection, but between XT and XTR, not sure that's the case.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

We’re starting with chains because the technologies and designs used here help make things like DCE and HyperGlide+ possible. So, understanding their design helps us understand why Shimano’s drivetrains work so well. And their select use of two materials – SIL-TEC and Chromizing – show how they differentiate otherwise very similar looking parts. So, a quick explanation of those:

SIL-TEC: an advanced plating process that bonds fluorine particles to the metal to create a long lasting, ultra low friction surface. It also helps reduce noise considerably. Shimano says Fluorine is a highly reactive material, so once it comes in contact the metal on the chain, it reacts vigorously and stays bonded and stops reacting with other materials. Meaning, it’s less likely to shed molecules as it slides over a gear’s teeth. And that, Shimano says, is a major part of friction – molecules reacting with each other between surfaces. So, the less things react with each other, the less friction you’ll have.
Chromizing: Chromium is diffused into the the metal to make it harder, so it’ll last longer. They’ve been using it for years, and it makes its way to all four 12-speed chains, but in different areas.
shimano 12 speed mountain bike chains comparison side by side

Used together, you get both benefits – more durability and less friction. But, Chromizing is a more expensive process, so in some cases, you’ll only see SIL-TEC being used, or only Chromizing. And sometimes both.

All four of these chains use the same plate shaping, and start with the same high quality steel chain. It’s the finishes that separate them. Here’s the breakdown:

Deore CN-M6100 Chain
Chromizing roller link pin
252g

SLX CN-M7100 Chain
SIL-TEC roller link plate
Chromizing roller link pin
252g

XT CN-M8100 Chain
No SIL-TEC
Chromizing roller link plates and pins
252g

XTR CN-M9100 Chain
SIL-TEC pin link plates and roller
Chromizing roller link plates and pins
Upgrades to hollow pins (saves 10g)
242g

hurfdurf

by hurfdurf

Thanks! Picked up the M8100 yesterday and yesterday and after faffing about setting up the FD and RD from scratch again the rear sounds smooth and shifts crisply. However even with the FD low limit set about 1 click away from chain rub when in small-small combination, it's quite hesitant shifting from small to big when putting power down. The chain seems to grab the big ring being slipping for a couple of revolutions before it finally catches on. Will try messing about with the trim settings again (seems like the RD trim affects how well the front shifts too on the stand, which I found strange)

nycebo

by nycebo

Why would you be in small small?

hurfdurf

by hurfdurf

nycebo wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:45 pm
Why would you be in small small?
Whoops, meant big cog small ring

Discodan

by Discodan

I've been running the 8100 XT chain on R8070 for a month or so now and it's faultless, nice and quiet and has actually opened up another gear combo (2-2) for me that I could bring myself to use before as it was too noisy

nycebo

by nycebo

Have you tried adjusting the high limit screw?

erneeerd

by erneeerd

Just wanted to jump in and add my experience with this. I'm using the R8070 groupset, and recently changed the crankset to Rotor's Qring. Fiddled around with the FD but ended up having to compromise the set up so that it just slightly rubs the FD when in small/big, and just every so slightly rubbing the chain catcher when in that same gear. If I set it up so that it doesn't rub the FD when in small/big, it would rub on the chain catcher instead, so I just lived with it since I never use that smallest gear ratio for my flat routes. There was chain rub as well when I was in the small chainring and third smallest cog (Di2's max cross chain).

Decided to try out using the 12sp chain and purchased the XT CN-M8100. First thing I noticed was how much quieter it was to my previous chain (CN-HG701), and the best thing is that now there is no chain rub in any gear and on the chain catcher, without readjusting the FD. Shifting also feels smoother, and there is less hesitation when shifting the FD from small to big. The chain being quieter may be the factory lube, but hopefully after re-lubing it would stay quieter than the 11sp chain.

Really glad I stumbled upon this thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I wanted to add to this thread with my recent experience with changing over to the CN-M9100 chain on a DA9170 group-set. So far things have been absolutely flawless (~150km). Shifting "seems" crisper and overall, the drivetrain is quieter. I'm sold on the 12-speed chain on an 11-speed groupset!
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)