Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

gmbike wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:42 am
Gotta admit after putting on an xtr chain on ultegra crank and DA cassette that the noise is the same and the shifting quality is pretty poor
I have installed the XTR chain on all our bikes, all of which have disc brakes and use Ultegra CS-R8000 cassettes. The road bikes have DA PM cranks with AB Oval rings, and DA R9150, where as the gravel bikes (also with DA PM) have Wickwerks 44/34 chainrings, and Ultegra R8050 derailleurs. With proper front/rear derailleur adjustments, all run nearly silent - noticeably quieter than when we ran CN-HG901 11-speed chains.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

gmbike

by gmbike

Yep I changed the durace cassette and tried both an ultetra and a 105, much better now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy4g63

by andy4g63

I have been using the 12 speed Xtr chain for a while on Red Etap 11 sp. with Dura ace 11-30 cassette and Dura ace 9000 cranks fitted to AB 52-36 oval rings.

Everything was silent, shifting was perfect...

I recently switched to Rotor Q rings Qarbon and can't get it right...

From what I read these chains are not friendly with some 11 speed chainrings.

Was fine with the AB, bit not at all with Rotor.

Shifting down from big to small in the front was always with delay, like the chain doesn't wanna go..

If I soft pedal yes, but not even when not applying a lot of pressure/ power down.

Some issues when shifting from small to big ring too.

The chain just don't want to grab on the pins...

On the stand everything is perfect.

So I almost positively know for sure that this chain doesn't play well with some chainrings, Oval or not.

alanyu

by alanyu

andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:58 pm

If I soft pedal yes, but not even when not applying a lot of pressure/ power down.

Some issues when shifting from small to big ring too.

The chain just don't want to grab on the pins...

On the stand everything is perfect.
This means the chain prefers a stiffer ringset.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah those chainrings are just garbage, a friend of mine has them an I have spent hours trying to get them to shift nice but its nearly impossible, there is a reason they are now discounted

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Rotor NoQ aero round outer ring didn't shift well with praxis inner ring.
However, using matching Rotor NoQ inner ring make it shift pretty good. It's like the chain timing just click.
I believe by having extended inner plate to take up some space inside the chain make chainring timing more critical than before. The chain will either don't get caught by big ring teeth or ride up big ring and fall off on the outside a lot if the timing is off.
That added to the fact that the chain is simply narrower than before so 11sp FD cage are likely slightly too wide.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Anyone having any issues with the 12 sp chain and front shifting? I had been noticing some hesitation on upshifts to the big ring of late. (9150 FD, SRM DA powermeter w 9000 chainrings and XTR 12 sp chain).

Yesterday after cleaning the bike and putting a freshly waxed chain on I couldn't get the chain onto the big ring for love nor money when it was in the inboard half of the cassette. When in the 15 or smaller cogs it would go. I was flummoxed because nothing has changed on the FD. Nonetheless, I checked the setup and dialed everything afresh to make sure and it made no difference.

I then decided to take the 12sp chain off and put on an 11sp chain. With zero changes to the FD setup, the 11sp chain climbed up onto the big ring with no hesitation, no matter where the chain was on the cassette. I rode with the 11sp chain today and while it was a little noisier than the 12sp chain had been, the front shifting was fantastic.

I think my time with the 12sp chain on this setup may have ended.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:44 pm
Anyone having any issues with the 12 sp chain and front shifting? I had been noticing some hesitation on upshifts to the big ring of late. (9150 FD, SRM DA powermeter w 9000 chainrings and XTR 12 sp chain).

Yesterday after cleaning the bike and putting a freshly waxed chain on I couldn't get the chain onto the big ring for love nor money when it was in the inboard half of the cassette. When in the 15 or smaller cogs it would go. I was flummoxed because nothing has changed on the FD. Nonetheless, I checked the setup and dialed everything afresh to make sure and it made no difference.

I then decided to take the 12sp chain off and put on an 11sp chain. With zero changes to the FD setup, the 11sp chain climbed up onto the big ring with no hesitation, no matter where the chain was on the cassette. I rode with the 11sp chain today and while it was a little noisier than the 12sp chain had been, the front shifting was fantastic.

12s chains are marginally thinner than 11s chains, so the FD had to shift outboard marginally more to get the chain onto the big ring, if in the inboard part of the cassette.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

Yep, also my experience. I adjusted the FD (Dura Ace Di2) ever so slightly outwards, then the front shifts were perfect again. In my case I'm not entirely sure if that is only due to the chain - I have Rotor chainrings instead of the original Shimanos which may also just shift that little bit worse.

Maddie

by Maddie

Shimano chains are directional. You're sure you have checked this?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Maddie wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:08 pm
Shimano chains are directional. You're sure you have checked this?
That definitely wasn't it.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I use extralite chainrings which is all honesty are not quite as good as OEM shimano in the first place... but so far so good with the XTR chain.
SETUP :
Extralite Chainrings 52/34 (yes 34) THM SE
DA 9170 FD
DA 9170 RD
SRAM Red 11/32 Cassette.
410mm chainstays
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Prawn

by Prawn

Tried this - and (as others have reported), it works well! Setup is SRAM eTap Wi-Fli RD (11 speed), 11-32 Red cassette, 408mm chain stays, Praxis compact rings with eTap FD. Front shifting is still rubbish, but it works more often with the XTR chain. Cassette shifts very well (as always), and definitely quieter.

kode54

by kode54

Overall noise is much better. Front chainring shifting is less than desired using the 12 spd chain vs. 11 spd chain. I had to trim the FD slightly to adjust for the thinner overall width of the chain. Where I have the issue is the opposite of your issue...where I shift from big to small...its not quite as smooth. I suspect my issue may be attributed to the AbsoluteBlack oval inner ring and doesn't quite make a smooth transition. I have a chain catcher just in case it drops even further but has not...its just the first pedal stroke after shifting down.
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:44 pm

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Its possible that my chainline needs to be moved outwards by 1-2mm as I can see the chain stretched/crossed more severely on the thinner oval section. 52/36T .
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com