Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

Defender110 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:58 pm
I have the same issue as tfayet - all on brand new equipment from shimano on my 1x road bike build. new XTR di2 RD, new 11spd XTR rear cassette, and new XTR 12spd chain w/the shimano masterlink it came with. I noticed I couldn't get it dailed in and could isolate my issue to the chain sticking slightly to the top pulley then releasing and causing it to snap into the cassette teeth. I thought maybe I cut the chain too short so figured I'd try my 11spd chain with an extra link in it - 11spd chain works perfectly in the same RD settings and such.

Maybe my chain was too short but the sticking to the top pulley was odd and happened regardless of what gear I was in and thus how much tension may be on the chain if it was being stretched too much. I didn't see the top XTR RD pulley as a narrow/wide type as it doesn't look like my other N/W pulleys - but maybe those teeth or slightly larger and filing down would eliminate the sticking. I have a cheap pulley wheel I may try putting in the top position and see if the 12 spd chain works better as the teeth on that pulley wheel are pretty narrow.
Maybe because I put the 12 speed chain on worn pulleys...that the chain had no issues like those that have put it on a new 11 speed drivetrain.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

boots2000

by boots2000

Anyone running the XTR chain with standard size CeramicSpeed pulleys?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

milanv wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:25 am
So, I have changed Shimano Dura-ace chainring 52 + Absolute Black oval 36 with Carbon-Ti oval 50 + 36 and it is impossible for me to set up good shifting, Shimano XTR 12s chain.
Not sure this will help, but my wife has Absolute Black 50/34 chainrings and I am using 52/36 chainrings, both with Shimana DA FD-R9150 front derailleurs, and the XTR 12S chain, which exhibited similar issues when the chain was initially installed. it. What I found was that I had to deviate slightly from the Shimano Dealer Manual instructions in order to get the front derailleur to shift from small to large chainring reliably. In my case, I adjusted the front derailleur with a tad more 'throw' to shift the chain to the large chainring so that now the inner face of the derailleur cage sits ~1-1.5 mm away from the large chainring when in the smallest rear cog, and also tend to push on the front shift lever a tad longer when shifting from small to large chainring. I also have a K-Edge chain catcher installed to prevent any mishaps with the chain and the downtubes on both our bikes.

TurboKoo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:48 pm
Shimano says it’s not reusable and that means you should change it when you put new chain.
This should not be surprising, especially in America where a couple years ago someone got a multi-million dollar award because the coffee they spilled in their lap while driving the car/talkling on the phone was too hot!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Defender110

by Defender110

FWIW - my chain sticking was not on every link but pretty often throughout the rotation - also it was NOT only when the masterlink went thru. So whatever issue I have with this setup is not related to the masterlink. I'll put the 12spd chain on later and take a video.

tfayet

by tfayet

Defender110 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:45 pm
FWIW - my chain sticking was not on every link but pretty often throughout the rotation - also it was NOT only when the masterlink went thru. So whatever issue I have with this setup is not related to the masterlink. I'll put the 12spd chain on later and take a video.
I had the same problem as yours
It was like if the chain was glued to the top pulley.
Solution I found and now it is fine: remove a few tenth of millimeter tooth of top pulley

milanv

by milanv

ryanw wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:05 pm
I've reused quick-links over 10 times and never had a single problem. My quick-links last the duration of the chain.
I only have new links when a new chain goes on.
+1👍

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Defender110 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:45 pm
Does it do it when pedaling forward or backwards? Would it be possible for you to put the bike on a stand and spin the crank backwards, and shoot the video showing the sticking. It shouldn't make a difference pedaling forward or backward as the chain tension on the upper pulley wheel is the same whether the bike is on the road or on the stand, pedaling forward or backward.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:41 pm
This should not be surprising, especially in America where a couple years ago someone got a multi-million dollar award because the coffee they spilled in their lap while driving the car/talkling on the phone was too hot!
I used to make fun of this too, but I suggest you read about the case. It was a valid lawsuit

ooo

by ooo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:05 pm
I’ve been reusing both 11 and 12 speed Shimano quick links with no issues.
I also resued 11s quick link without problems. I ripped dura-ace chain on normal links only (non quick links), BUT
1) first use of 11s quick link feels much stronger (alsmost impossible to lock it without tool), on second time 11s quick link is easier to lock
2) shimano is even more serious about 12s quick links, now they even ship extra 12s quick link in retail boxes with 12s mtb rear deraileurs
'

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Shimano quick link connection less secure each time you reconnect. IMO, when I can attach them by hand (no tool, not holding brake and pull the crank) is the point which I'd change quick link. But I still haven't reach that point yet after 15+ reconnect on either of mine XT and XTR chain.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Good thread.
I have a SLX 12-speed SIL-TEC chain ready to go on my Force 11-speed group. My old KMC 11-speed chain is so damn noisy.

So is it the case that 12-speed Shimano chains are okay for all 11-speed cranks, irrespective of brand?
What would happen if you used the 12-speed Shimano chain with a 12-speed SRAM AXS crank like Rival or Force?

It becomes rather confusing with the number of mix and match combinations.

Voss27

by Voss27

Read through this thread a few months ago and you all convinced me to try out the Shimano 12sp chains on my Ultegra Di2 road bike. Finally found a XT chain in stock for a good price locally just as my DuraAce chain was ready for swapping out.

After 200km over the weekend I am a convert :) Extremely satisfied with the reduction in noise, especially when cross chaining, and the shifting performance is perfect. I can't see myself going back to my spare Ultegra chains after trying the XT.

Final thing will be to see how the longevity of the XT compares to the Ultegra and DA chains I've used so far. I tend to get 5000km out of them before the 0.5 mm tool can be pushed in.

mathieurrr

by mathieurrr

Got my XT chain and stripped it down and gave it a good wax (plain paraffin for now). Running on Shimano 105 R700 and I cannot believe how quiet this chain is vs my old KMC. It feels buttery smooth and also very snappy with the shifts. I'm totally converted, there is no looking back.

bouds

by bouds

mathieurrr wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:39 pm
Got my XT chain and stripped it down and gave it a good wax (plain paraffin for now). Running on Shimano 105 R700 and I cannot believe how quiet this chain is vs my old KMC. It feels buttery smooth and also very snappy with the shifts. I'm totally converted, there is no looking back.
Did you have to adjust the Front Derailleur at all?

mathieurrr

by mathieurrr

Yes. My old KMC chain was a bit finicky on the front and when I made switch, the XT chain wouldn't even budge from the little ring to big. Took about 10 minutes and a Park Tool youtube video to index my front derraileur and everything was perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com