Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:56 pm
and high limit too?
Yes.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Just catching up on this thread and it seems its gone 180*.

In the beginning i think the concesus was the 12 speed chain was quiter and shifted better and lasted longer - a win win win.

Now it seesm it doesnt work so well.

Have i got this wrong and what has happened...?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

No. It's because the ones that are having no issues have no new news to report. Mine has been running flawlessly (silent and shifts as usual). I don't think anyone here claimed that it shifted better. It shifts equally well as the 11-speed chains.

Alex222

by Alex222

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:43 am
No. It's because the ones that are having no issues have no new news to report. Mine has been running flawlessly (silent and shifts as usual). I don't think anyone here claimed that it shifted better. It shifts equally well as the 11-speed chains.
This is my experience. Reduced noise from drivetrain. Grabbed a spare CN-M9100 chain recently when I saw one in stock, I am definitely not going back to 11 speed chains.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Good to know as I have one waiting for my old 11 speed chain to wear out but the last few pages were a bit negative. Will try it and hope my experience is good. Will report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

Alex222 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:43 am
This is my experience. Reduced noise from drivetrain. Grabbed a spare CN-M9100 chain recently when I saw one in stock, I am definitely not going back to 11 speed chains.
Same for me, it's night and day compared to KMC chains. I have a couple XTR chains stored for the summer bike and use SLX chains on the winter bike (when the extra 10g don't bother me). Blissfully quiet.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Finally after tinkering with the Rotor Qarbon oval ring, I gave up...

No matter how I set the FD and limit screws, shifting was extremely poor.

I even switched back to 11 sp. Dura ace chain to no avail...

Then I said f#*k it and installed Absolute Black oval 50 / 36 combo.

That's what I had...

Adjusted the FD, limit screws according to ÀB, on the High limit little bit more out than usual to help shifting from small to big and VOILA...

This thing works spectacular and this with Etap 11 sp. FD, Shimano dura ace rear cassette and Dura ace/Xtrm9100 12 speed chain...

I have a WickWerks dual chain catcher, just in case, but no need for it...

And this is with Sram Red ETAP FD, which a lot of people had problems with.

As I said, shifting isn't just good is spectacular...

Small to big, Big to small, no problems at all fast and noise free.

Before I had a lot of hesitation with Rotor oval even when shifting big to small, it looked like the chain simply don't wanna go because of these extended inner link plates on the 12 speed chain...

When I shift big to small, or small to big, I compensate by hand by keeping my finger on downshift paddle when shift small to big/ or on the upshift when I shift big to small and this is simultaneously and shifting is superb...

Super super happy.
As I mentioned this is Sram Red ETAP 11 sp. with AB 50/36 ovals, Dura ace 9100 cassette,/I also changed the cassette recently with Sram 1170-11/32 and still works great and super quiet.

Might be because of smaller difference 14 teeth, instead of usual 16 on front rings, I don't know.

But all is great.

I keep my chain very clean and I use Silva's super secret lube, that thing is superb...

P.S. Anyone know where to get Wipermann/Connect 12 speed reusable guick link?
Thanks.

Cheers 🍻

milanv

by milanv

andy4g63 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:11 pm
Finally after tinkering with the Rotor Qarbon oval ring, I gave up...

No matter how I set the FD and limit screws, shifting was extremely poor.

I even switched back to 11 sp. Dura ace chain to no avail...

Then I said f#*k it and installed Absolute Black oval 50 / 36 combo.

That's what I had...

Adjusted the FD, limit screws according to ÀB, on the High limit little bit more out than usual to help shifting from small to big and VOILA...

This thing works spectacular and this with Etap 11 sp. FD, Shimano dura ace rear cassette and Dura ace/Xtrm9100 12 speed chain...

I have a WickWerks dual chain catcher, just in case, but no need for it...

And this is with Sram Red ETAP FD, which a lot of people had problems with.

As I said, shifting isn't just good is spectacular...

Small to big, Big to small, no problems at all fast and noise free.

Before I had a lot of hesitation with Rotor oval even when shifting big to small, it looked like the chain simply don't wanna go because of these extended inner link plates on the 12 speed chain...

When I shift big to small, or small to big, I compensate by hand by keeping my finger on downshift paddle when shift small to big/ or on the upshift when I shift big to small and this is simultaneously and shifting is superb...

Super super happy.
As I mentioned this is Sram Red ETAP 11 sp. with AB 50/36 ovals, Dura ace 9100 cassette,/I also changed the cassette recently with Sram 1170-11/32 and still works great and super quiet.

Might be because of smaller difference 14 teeth, instead of usual 16 on front rings, I don't know.

But all is great.

I keep my chain very clean and I use Silva's super secret lube, that thing is superb...

P.S. Anyone know where to get Wipermann/Connect 12 speed reusable guick link?
Thanks.

Cheers 🍻
I had same problems with Carbon-Ti ovals...
viewtopic.php?t=166784

So I use Dura-ace 50 + Absolute Black 36 oval and 12s XTR chain at the moment but like the oval effect...

My only chance is to try Absolute Black...
Last edited by milanv on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Sorry for the O/T, but finally a 'good news' story for Absolute Black! :wink: I've used their ovals for a while now and been nothng but impressed. They should have concentrated on what they do best!

andy4g63

by andy4g63

@milanv...
You should totally try the AB oval big ring. Now that I have this combo50/36 shifting seems superb, as I said maybe cause of the small 14 t difference between rings...Not sure but is great and you have DI2 , probably even better.
The 50t AB ring has a little lower ovality than 52-53t rings and this also allows me to do small/small without the chain bouncing of the teeth or ramps on big ring...
Tha AB 50t has only 4 shifting ramps, as opposed to 6 on the 52-53t, but is great... Good luck 🤞.

My only advice is to get a chain catcher, just in case.

Wick Werks has this dual chain catcher/for small and big ring combined, I think is called Sentinel. I did a small modification on the big ring side I glued a small piece of metal to extend the catcher arm a little, so when the ring is on lower/flatter side I still have some coverage, so chain would not drop/I hope.

Already had it for a 3-4 weeks and never had a chain drop/fingers crossed

andy4g63

by andy4g63

@milanv...
You should totally try the AB oval big ring. Now that I have this combo50/36 shifting seems superb, as I said maybe cause of the small 14 t difference between rings...Not sure but is great and you have DI2 , probably even better.
The 50t AB ring has a little lower ovality than 52-53t rings and this also allows me to do small/small without the chain bouncing of the teeth or ramps on big ring...
Tha AB 50t has only 4 shifting ramps, as opposed to 6 on the 52-53t, but is great... Good luck 🤞.

Wick Werks has this dual chain catcher/for small and big ring combined, I think is called Sentinel. I did a small modification on the big ring side I glued a small piece of metal to extend the catcher arm a little, so when the ring is on lower/flatter side I still have some coverage, so chain would not drop/I hope.

milanv

by milanv

andy4g63 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:28 pm
@milanv...

Many thx

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Do the 12 speed chains from YBN and KMC offer the same benifits as the 12 speed Shimano chain on Shimano 11 speed drivetrains?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

ms6073

by ms6073

Not a direct answer, but I replaced a KMC 11-speed DLC chain with a 12-speed XTR chain because the KMC was really noisy, so can't imagine the 12-speed would be much of an improvement.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Mocs123 wrote:Do the 12 speed chains from YBN and KMC offer the same benifits as the 12 speed Shimano chain on Shimano 11 speed drivetrains?
Not that I am aware. The benefit is not coming from being narrower but from the plates geometry (inner plate are “longer”) that engage “better”. I am not aware of other brands offering this.