Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wettek69

by wettek69

Gidday guys. I have been following this thread for a while, and finally put an XTR CN-9100 chain on my 11 speed mechanical Ultegra, and all I can say is "Unbelievable". Dead quiet all across my cassette, even cross chaining. Best upgrade I have made for a while. Thanks for all the input, and if anyone else is on the fence, just do it.

Regards to all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charirider

by charirider

Just quick report on 12-speed chain working on 11s drivetrain without any issues.
Spec:
Chainring: Garbaruk 1x 40T hollowgram chainring (12 speed compatible)
Shimano CS-HG800 11-34 cassette
Shimano Ultegra RD-RX800 rear derailleur

Everything is spinning and shifting smoothly, no skipping even when backpedal on biggest and smallest cogs. Chain "sits" on pulley wheels tightly.
I needed to swap front chainring though; Cannondale's OPI spidering is not compatible with
12 speed chains, it works but with excessive noise, and I was concerned about chain dropping to the frame. Garbaruk one is working like a charm; was cheaper too!

By the way, chain is xtr9100, version with big HG-X letters!
6B3A6FA2-4521-4833-9AE1-AD0E6F204C5A.jpeg
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

C36

by C36

charirider wrote: I needed to swap front chainring though; Cannondale's OPI spidering is not compatible with12 speed chains, it works but with excessive noise, and I was concerned about chain dropping to the frame. Garbaruk one is working like a charm; was cheaper too!

[/attachment]
Strange, I ride with 52-36 spidering and alternating from DA 11s and m9100 chains, the latter is quite more silent than the 11s. Are you sure it’s from the chainring?

charirider

by charirider

C36 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:09 am
charirider wrote: I needed to swap front chainring though; Cannondale's OPI spidering is not compatible with12 speed chains, it works but with excessive noise, and I was concerned about chain dropping to the frame. Garbaruk one is working like a charm; was cheaper too!

[/attachment]
Strange, I ride with 52-36 spidering and alternating from DA 11s and m9100 chains, the latter is quite more silent than the 11s. Are you sure it’s from the chainring?
Maybe, because 2x spidering doesn't have such aggressive narrow-wide teeth profile to retain the chain so it isn't dropping...
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

C36

by C36

charirider wrote:
C36 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:09 am

[/attachment]
Maybe, because 2x spidering doesn't have such aggressive narrow-wide teeth profile to retain the chain so it isn't dropping...
Missed you were on narrow-wide ring… indeed 2x have “narrow” teeth all around, then no interface with the extended links the 9100 chain has.

SystmSix

by SystmSix

Reviving the thread... All I have to say is this works flawless on my 9100 setup with Carbon-Ti non-round rings... I had a KMC X11SL and it was never quiet but I thought its just the way its supposed to be until I saw this thread. With the XTR chain not only is it dead silent but it shifts perfectly... Guess I'll save grams elseware....

st3rius

by st3rius

I was on an r8000 RD with 9100 chainrings and the XTR chain was working great. Then over the weekend i swapped to an r9100 RD and it was terrible. The XTR chain seemed to get stuck in the RD pulleys, noticeable resistance and skipping when backpedalling and a lot of resistance/noise when pedalling.

In the end switched back to a HG901.

ms6073

by ms6073

st3rius wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:07 pm
I was on an r8000 RD with 9100 chainrings and the XTR chain was working great. Then over the weekend i swapped to an r9100 RD and it was terrible. The XTR chain seemed to get stuck in the RD pulleys, noticeable resistance and skipping when backpedalling and a lot of resistance/noise when pedalling.
If you put on a derailleur with worn pulleys, then I would not be surprised in the least. What was the age of the chain vs. the derailleur?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

calleking

by calleking

Just installed a new XTR CN-M9100 chain on an old Ultegra Di2 6770 10 speed drivetrain. New casette with decent chainrings. Works flawlessly.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

st3rius

by st3rius

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:49 pm
st3rius wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:07 pm
If you put on a derailleur with worn pulleys, then I would not be surprised in the least. What was the age of the chain vs. the derailleur?
The chain was 3 months old - the Dura Ace 9100 RD was brand new out the box.

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

I have used xtr chains on mechanical R8000 and mechanical as well as Di2 R9100 and it always worked great, very silent at the back and I noticed no difference between Ultegra and DuraAce.
I am pretty sure you checked this, but was the chain rubbing over the tab under the upper pulley perhaps? Symptoms would be the same. Other possibility is that the quick link wasn't properly closed?

milanv

by milanv

SystmSix wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:16 pm
Reviving the thread... All I have to say is this works flawless on my 9100 setup with Carbon-Ti non-round rings... I had a KMC X11SL and it was never quiet but I thought its just the way its supposed to be until I saw this thread. With the XTR chain not only is it dead silent but it shifts perfectly... Guess I'll save grams elseware....
What Carbon-Ti oval chainrings do you have? I was not able to adjust 50 + 36, shifting was bad with chain drops. I have tried XTR 12 sp chain and standard Dura-Ace 11 sp chain also. I was very disappointed, because another setup without these chainrings worked great.

SystmSix

by SystmSix

I have the 52 CarboCam and the 42 RoadCam inner ring which was explained to me to work better with 11spd vs the 36. Although I'm in Florida so a 36 is only usefull on the bridges...

milanv

by milanv

Thx, interesting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MXM

by MXM

pdlpsher1 wrote:
tfayet wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:30 pm
Hello
I've installed my XTR 12s chain on my DA9100 group, but problem
The internal size of chain seems not to bee good, I explain: on the top pulley of the read derailleur, the chain is according to me not large enough, The chain can not be release easily when I ride.
No problem with DA9100 chain.
According to me, the internal size beetween to face of the chain is not large enough. Maybe a bad serie of profuction???

Can someone take mesure of a XTR 12 chain? I need internal size.

Thanks
I didn't notice this issue back in August. But just this week I'm seeing the same issue with the bike on the bike stand. When pedaling forward or backward I can hear and see the chain getting stuck on the upper pulley. This is on a waxed chain. The issue is that the chain is still not getting a clean release from the upper pulley. A secondary problem is the extra friction this causes. You can definitely feel the extra friction when pedaling backwards with the bike on the bike stand. When Shimano switched to the 'Shadow' RD design they also enlarged the the teeth profile on the upper pulley. I suspect the taller teeth is getting caught in the narrower 12-speed chain, specifically on the inner links. I also noticed that Shimano has changed the upper and lower pulley profiles once again with the new 12-speed RD. See the attached pic. below. The new upper pulley (on the right is 9250, on the left is 9150) has slightly chamfered and shorter teeth. The lower pulley now has taller teeth. I wish to run the new 12-speed upper pulley with my 12-speed chain but it would be impossible to obtain them at the moment. I have some spare pre-Shadow pulleys for the 9070 which have the shorter teeth. See the pic. below, with the shorter teeth pulley for the 9070 on the left. I replaced the upper pulley with the 9070 pulley and it seemed to shift fine on the bike stand. The noise is totally gone, as well as the extra friction you feel when pedaling backwards. I will be testing this new setup tomorrow with a long climbing ride. I'll report back with my findings in regards to noise and shifting quality.

Hi all, I have just installed a R9250 dura ace pulley on my mechanical ultegra R8000 as I was experiencing friction at the upper pulley while in the big ring.

On the workstand the new pulley seems to be quiter and running more smoothly. Just bear in mind that the new pulleys are significantly narrower. For this reason I did not install the lower pulley: with the new pulley on, the 12s XTR chain was almost rubbing the derailleur cage and it was too close for comfort. The upper pulley fits OK but I had to reindex shifting (which was already close to perfect with the old pulley but now seems to be even a bit smoother).

I will report back once I have ridden the new combo on the road. I got the pulleys from R2 bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk