Short nose saddles vs. classic saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Where it goes from really skinny to really wide and ‘flares’ out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Tried the Romin today for 1.5 hour and I think this is the saddle I will buy. No signs of numbness in perineum and even though my sitting bones were starting to hurt a bit after 40 minutes, it was a lot better than on the Power. Also solved by very little shift of position on the saddle, so very good. I will try the Pro Stealth next week, but I think that Romin wins. Would be cool if the Stealth was better though. The Specialized saddles are damn heavy for the price. Except for the S-Works version...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

JayDee81 wrote:Tried the Romin today for 1.5 hour and I think this is the saddle I will buy. No signs of numbness in perineum and even though my sitting bones were starting to hurt a bit after 40 minutes, it was a lot better than on the Power. Also solved by very little shift of position on the saddle, so very good. I will try the Pro Stealth next week, but I think that Romin wins. Would be cool if the Stealth was better though. The Specialized saddles are damn heavy for the price. Except for the S-Works version...
You shifting forward on the saddle?

JayDee81

by JayDee81

07stuntin6r wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:48 am
JayDee81 wrote:Tried the Romin today for 1.5 hour and I think this is the saddle I will buy. No signs of numbness in perineum and even though my sitting bones were starting to hurt a bit after 40 minutes, it was a lot better than on the Power. Also solved by very little shift of position on the saddle, so very good. I will try the Pro Stealth next week, but I think that Romin wins. Would be cool if the Stealth was better though. The Specialized saddles are damn heavy for the price. Except for the S-Works version...
Not sure what you mean exactly. I stay in one position, but I shift a little bit forward to relieve my sitting bones when they start to hurt. You could also stand up for a bit, but when you are training on ERG you don't really want to.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

JayDee81 wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:48 am
Not sure what you mean exactly. I stay in one position, but I shift a little bit forward to relieve my sitting bones when they start to hurt. You could also stand up for a bit, but when you are training on ERG you don't really want to.
Cause I feel myself inching forward on my power and have to adjust my sit bones back on the seat.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

07stuntin6r wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:38 pm
Cause I feel myself inching forward on my power and have to adjust my sit bones back on the seat.
I actually slid a bit forward too, but just a bit and stayed there. Lowered the seat 2 mm and will se how it is today. Preparing to ride right now actually.

Otherwise it could be caused by more factors. Wrong fore-aft alignment. Saddle too high. Saddle angled too much down.
Be wary that when it comes to the height of the seat the Power rises a lot in the rear, so if you measure in the dip and compare to flat saddle, the effective height of Power will actually be higher.

Omiar

by Omiar

Im using an entry level, non-carbon Toupe. I like it because it provides a lot of flex in the middle which makes for a comfortable ride. But I do feel that a short nose saddle would be better for me.
Is there a short nose, carbon shell, carbon railed saddle that has some flex in the shell?
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Omiar wrote:Im using an entry level, non-carbon Toupe. I like it because it provides a lot of flex in the middle which makes for a comfortable ride. But I do feel that a short nose saddle would be better for me.
Is there a short nose, carbon shell, carbon railed saddle that has some flex in the shell?
S-Works Power...that’s what I got

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I'm considering trying a Prologo Dimension (probably the cheapest version I can find), however my sit bones are quite narrow (10cm). Is anyone getting along with the Dimension but have narrowish sitbones?

wltz

by wltz

Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:04 am
I'm considering trying a Prologo Dimension (probably the cheapest version I can find), however my sit bones are quite narrow (10cm). Is anyone getting along with the Dimension but have narrowish sitbones?
I have 105mm narrow sit bones, and Prologo Dimension was the clear winner during my recent bike fit. By contrast, the 130mm Arione didn't provide a stable enough platform, I was slipping and rocking on it. Prologo has a nice flex in the wings, so I never felt my thighs were hitting the rims. Granted, that was on a stationary bike only, but very promising so far.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

wltz wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:04 am
I have 105mm narrow sit bones, and Prologo Dimension was the clear winner during my recent bike fit. By contrast, the 130mm Arione didn't provide a stable enough platform, I was slipping and rocking on it. Prologo has a nice flex in the wings, so I never felt my thighs were hitting the rims. Granted, that was on a stationary bike only, but very promising so far.
That’s awesome, thanks. I’ve tried narrow saddles too, thinking it would be better due to the narrow sitbones, but it hasn’t turned out so far. The Dimension seems to have a bit more padding than most saddles too, which I think I need.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Moved my saddle about 2-3mm forward and its much better now. I am curious if there is a saddle out there that would be better for me, but then that's more $$$. The sella italia SLR or Bontrager Aelous look interesting.

szazbo

by szazbo

I have been using the original version of the Aliantes for many years on a lot of bikes and bought up all the ones I could on fleabay. Just for grins I picked up a Bontrager Aeolus Elite 155mm to put on a gravel bike I was building. Figuress they have a 30 day return policy and fully expected to return it. Well 6 months later I still have this saddle and really like it. The nose is a little wide and takes a few rides to get used to. Great replacement for an Aliante. Have a power s works curved that I haven't mounted yet and may just sell it

Js2

by Js2

07stuntin6r wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 pm
Omiar wrote:Im using an entry level, non-carbon Toupe. I like it because it provides a lot of flex in the middle which makes for a comfortable ride. But I do feel that a short nose saddle would be better for me.

Some of the dudes in my group rides are running the S-works power Mimic.. Seems to be more comfortable than the regular power according to them, even though it's supposedly designed for women specifically. The newest concept/3d printed ones will be interesting once it comes out, seems to have different density in different area.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Js2 wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Some of the dudes in my group rides are running the S-works power Mimic.. Seems to be more comfortable than the regular power according to them, even though it's supposedly designed for women specifically. The newest concept/3d printed ones will be interesting once it comes out, seems to have different density in different area.
If I wanted one with more comfort I would go with the power elaston...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com