Short nose saddles vs. classic saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lugan

by Lugan

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 am
The only times I ever sit on the nose of my saddle are when my legs are completely exhausted during a major effort and I'm trying anything and everything to squeeze some more power out of the muscles that aren't completely used up.
I agree with you that the nose is infrequently used, but I'm glad I have it in key moments exactly like you describe. Last year I experimented with a Shimano/PRO short saddle and really missed the length. I felt limited moving around, even after shifting the saddle on the rails to find a fully usable position.

Side note: This is where the phrase "on the rivet" orignates. It refers to old time Brooks-style saddles that had rivets securing the cover to the shell, including often a rivet right on the top of the tip of the nose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:24 am
All those saddles mean sitting on your ischial tuberosities. Personally I'd like to try a few.
Aren't sitting on all seats supposed to be on the sit bones?
Wingnut wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 am
I can't stand saddles with the nose tilted down.
I have Fabric Scoop Race Shallow:

https://fabric.cc/products/saddles/scoo ... mm-saddle/

It's slightly tilted down, if I have it in straight position, riding in dropouts becomes painfull... That is why I'm looking into these short nose saddles...
JayDee81 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:03 am
I tried the San Marco Shortfit and I have several observations. The saddle is very comfy for me, but the nose could be slimmer for me and the sloped back side of the saddle was causing some pain on longer rides in the lower back, so not for me in the end.
I guess, with saddles it's hit and miss procedure for everyone, untill you find something that works for you...

I would like to try Selle Italia SP-01 BOOST KIT CARBONIO SUPERFLOW and Prologo DIMENSION 143, I just have to find if someone offers test seats...

https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/ ... superflow/

https://www.prologo.it/en/products/dimension-143

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ND4SPD wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:24 am
All those saddles mean sitting on your ischial tuberosities. Personally I'd like to try a few.
Aren't sitting on all seats supposed to be on the sit bones?

The ischial tuberosities are the sit bones, and yes, that's the part of the pelvis that makes contact with a traditional saddle. With ISM, Dash, Cobb and other "tri" saddles, you rotate pelvis forward and sit on the pubic rami. Short-nosed saddles are sort of in between.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

ND4SPD wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 pm
I would like to try Selle Italia SP-01 BOOST KIT CARBONIO SUPERFLOW and Prologo DIMENSION 143, I just have to find if someone offers test seats...
The best I have tried yet are Specialized Power 143 and Selle San Marco Aspide 142. With Aspide I was sliding on it a lot, which I didn't like. With power I sometimes felt the edges, wasn't pleasant.

SP-01 142 is currently on my bike and it is worse than these two saddle for me, but it does dampen vibrations and rough road very good.
Dimension 143 is sitting next to my bike and tomorrow I am going to test it for the first time, so I can give some feedback after that.

Patb095

by Patb095

The Specialized power is the best.

I’ve bought the specialized power “arc” which is more toward of a pears shape. That’s absolutely fantastic. I can do aero position as well as more relax without the nose getting in the way!!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Patb095 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:11 pm

I’ve bought the specialized power “arc” which is more toward of a pears shape. That’s absolutely fantastic. I can do aero position as well as more relax without the nose getting in the way!!!

Glad it's the best for you, it certainly is not for myself and many others.

When it comes to saddles, rear ends are about as unique as fingerprints.

LouisN

by LouisN

I tried the Fizik Ares by accident because it came on a TT frame I bought. It’s now my main road and CX saddle. I wish Fizik understood that it could have been be their « short nose » saddle, and start making some nice looking and lighter models like a 00 version. The standard Ares is 160-165 g so not too bad at all :).
Instead, they came with the Argo model....hum, not so sure it will sell...
https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/tempo-argo- ... #tech-spec

Louis :)

AZR3

by AZR3

LouisN wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:05 am
I tried the Fizik Ares by accident because it came on a TT frame I bought. It’s now my main road and CX saddle. I wish Fizik understood that it could have been be their « short nose » saddle, and start making some nice looking and lighter models like a 00 version. The standard Ares is 160-165 g so not too bad at all :).
Instead, they came with the Argo model....hum, not so sure it will sell...
https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/tempo-argo- ... #tech-spec

Louis :)
I stumbled upon the Ares too and love it, it actually made my trainer bareable lol. I have 3 of them on various bikes and a few spares, they're pretty cheap on eBay

HShimada

by HShimada

I found that I use the tip of the saddle way more than I realize. Especially noticed when I tried an S-Works Power saddle. I wanted to move forwards once in a while and it wasn't there. Very happy with the more classic "Romin Evo"

Patb095

by Patb095

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Patb095 wrote:

You’re absolutely right and I’m just saying that they both fit for a lot of people.

Have you tried both, the specialized power and the specialized power arc? There is 2 models.

I’ve tried a lot of saddle and I’m 95kg so it doesn’t help and the flat type saddle with the sit bone only don’t work for me. That’s why I chose the « arc » one.

Thanks

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Patb095 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:38 pm
BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Patb095 wrote:

You’re absolutely right and I’m just saying that they both fit for a lot of people.

Have you tried both, the specialized power and the specialized power arc? There is 2 models.

I’ve tried a lot of saddle and I’m 95kg so it doesn’t help and the flat type saddle with the sit bone only don’t work for me. That’s why I chose the « arc » one.

Thanks

I tried the Arc, knowing the original power would not work for me because of reports of the sharp edge digging into the hamstrings.

I still got some of that with the Arc, but the cutout more so became a problem about 35-40 miles in on longer rides. I was doing a week long across state tour with it last year and stayed out of the saddle as much as in it for relief.

I'm thinking about trying the SP-01 Boost mentioned above.

DaveS

by DaveS

SMP makes a lot of different models with different widths and padding levels. They recommend wider widths for larger riders. I use the narrow width and standard padding stratos. I do a lot of mountain descents and the droopy nose works just fine. The saddle shouldn't be used to control the bike in corners. That's what handlebars are for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have issues with curved saddles since i like to move b/f. I also don't like when the saddle sag in centrum, so the nose is kind of sticking up.
I wish i could order a saddle from Meld just to see where it gets me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DaveS wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:24 pm
The saddle shouldn't be used to control the bike in corners. That's what handlebars are for.

The bars are for initiating and maintaining a lean via countersteer. Even if you don't realize it, the rest of your body is shifting weight and utilizing stabilization techniques.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I went from the Fizik Arionne to the SMP Comp and havent noticed much difference when it comes to descending. I am not sure if the SMP is in that class of shortnose saddles with the way the nose drops downward. I am still liking the SMP and many more of my bikes are getting converted over. Just got the Stratos for the winterbeater as it has the same shape as the Comp only a little more padding.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake